JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I picked up a XD-S today at Doug's Boat/RV and Outdoor in Woodinville, WA. Their price seemed very fair at $579.

I've asked the moderators to add this new(er) gun shop to the review section. Once done, I will post a review.

Peter

I took the new XD-S to the range yesterday. It was easier to shoot than I expected. I was shooting it at 10 yards with FMJ 230, and kept it within 6" of center. Some might howl at that, but that is good enough for me with the first time out with the XD-S and for it's intended purpose for me (concealed carry with the .45 punch).

I did have one feed issue when racking the slide. I had the full five (5) rounds in the magazine and none in the chamber. I racked the slide and the first round didn't load cleanly into the chamber. I attributed it to being a new gun, new magazines, and full magazines, such that there might have been too much tension. We'll see. I plan to go back to the range several times with the XD-S.

I really like the XD-S though. See if you can fondle one at your favorite gun shop.

Peter

I did have one feed issue when racking the slide. I had the full five (5) rounds in the magazine and none in the chamber. I racked the slide and the first round didn't load cleanly into the chamber.
Peter

These guns are very tight and require some breaking in to loosen them up. The instructions say to use the slide release to load the round. If you are trying to load it by the "slingshot" method, you need to do so forcefully and not ride the slide forward. I have always used the slingshot method personally, but I am always forceful also. Of course, your results may vary. Just my:s0159:.

These guns are very tight and require some breaking in to loosen them up. The instructions say to use the slide release to load the round. If you are trying to load it by the "slingshot" method, you need to do so forcefully and not ride the slide forward. I have always used the slingshot method personally, but I am always forceful also. Of course, your results may vary. Just my:s0159:.

Nutty4Guns, I think your assessment is correct. I plan to get out to the range regularly with this pistol.

Peter

Update on the XD-S after having it out a second time at the range...

I was reasonably accurate with it the first time out at range A and shooting at a distance of about 7 yards. I was less accurate with it the second time out at range B and shooting at a distance of about 15 yards.

I still REALLY like this gun. I've had no subsequent problems with it.

Peter

If it helps, I've been on the waiting list for 2-3 weeks at NW Armory and mine came in today. Price is $499. Good folks.
Time to fire up the press for 45!
Nick

For anyone wanting one on the coast the Fred Meyers in Newport has had one getting dirty on their shelves for 2 weeks. Was still there last night with a sticker of $569.99.

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk 2

Called around to find one in stock at Fishermans Marine in Oregon City and picked up for $519. They get one, sell it, and that triggers a replacement order. Looks like they get them every 2-3 weeks. Shot 50 rounds FMJ last weekend and no problems. Tried some hydrashoks in it, stove piped one round, but that may have been my error when loading the round didn't seat all the way back.

The extended mag is a must, really makes the gun fit in my hand without the pinky falling off. First shots today! PLUS, my Crossbreed Super Tuck arrives today (with extra mag holder) so I'm really excited bout that, I shall pace the room until I see the Postman ;)
Nick

UPDATE. XDs shot well, had a few FTF's on the first mag but after that the remaining 100 or so rounds worked very well. I think after another 100-300 I will feel really good about its reliability as a primary carry. It kicks but not as bad as expected I must say, not an all day shooter though ;)
I cycled some Magtech FMJ and my hand loaded Hornady XTP's (FTF). If anyone else is loading that I am going to try a bit longer C.O.L, I followed the book but they didn't feed so great, I think a few more thousandths should help it, I'll let you know.
N

Okay, so I picked up some Federal Hydra Shok JHP that were recommended by the guys at Fisherman's marine. They are "Low Recoil" 165 grain. However, everytime I load a magazine it stovepipes OR chambers the round but I can see the guide-rod pushing out the front of the pistol (so the round isn't fully seated in the chamber). I tried sling shot, I tried locking back & loading from slide stop release, and nothing is working. My only other solution is to try another brand. The rounds, by the way, don't appear to be brass so I will see how it compares to the regular FMJ rounds in terms of casing length/total height. Who is cycling defensive rounds without issue? If so, what rounds?

That happened on my first shot with the XTP.
Took a few minutes to dislodge the round.
The gun likes to be cycled hard. I found if I was all nice with it it did that.
As soon as I wracked it hard it was fine.
After a couple boxes of FMJ try again.
Nick

I have purchased the extended magazine (7 rounds) for my XD-S. I have yet to shoot the XD-S with this magazine, but I think I will be more accurate with the pistol since my pinkie finger has something to hang on to (and hence I get more leverage).

I was worried that the extended mag would reduce the "conceal-ability" of the pistol overall, but it's not that bad.

Peter

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads