JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Have just acquired today the new Springfield XDS. Have yet to get to the range to fire it. However it promises to be all that and more. Though small disconcerting side note, the magazine blocking lever has a bit of a rattle to it. Has anyone out there picked one up yet? If so, have you experienced this as well?

Don't believe this little rattle will affect performance, but I am a cautious man and curious to know if anyone's experienced this small issue.

One of the guys at our weekly Bullseye shoot brought his new XDS in, and we all shot a magazine through it. Without a finger extension ( sure to be offered) my pinky finger was left with no where to grip. Loading the last round in the mag was HARD to get in. The trigger cut my finger, and it recoiled quite a bit...(on a side note, my 44 mag Ruger seems easier to hold on to) and it shot 5 inches low at 7 yards. Others said the "checkering" was too aggressive, and hurt their hands. It is light and would be very concealable, and it breaks down exactly as other XD products. It seems to be a function of physics that putting a large caliber round through a light pistol with a short barrel equals recoil. While I love the round (I have a 4 inch Kimber) and also love XDm ( I have a 9mm) I would not buy this pistol. Just my humble opinion.

One of the guys at our weekly Bullseye shoot brought his new XDS in, and we all shot a magazine through it. Without a finger extension ( sure to be offered) my pinky finger was left with no where to grip. Loading the last round in the mag was HARD to get in. The trigger cut my finger, and it recoiled quite a bit...(on a side note, my 44 mag Ruger seems easier to hold on to) and it shot 5 inches low at 7 yards. Others said the "checkering" was too aggressive, and hurt their hands. It is light and would be very concealable, and it breaks down exactly as other XD products. It seems to be a function of physics that putting a large caliber round through a light pistol with a short barrel equals recoil. While I love the round (I have a 4 inch Kimber) and also love XDm ( I have a 9mm) I would not buy this pistol. Just my humble opinion.

I have a PF-9, a small frame 9mm slightly smaller (very slightly) than the XDs. I was wondering if you have shot other small (around 3" type - PF-9 is 3.1") pistols and can compare the recoil to those. I bet the .45 has a kick to it. The 9mm has a very sharp recoil in the PF-9.

As for the checkering, I was under the impression the XDs had options in way of the grip.

Also, thank you much for the review!

The XDm has interchangeable backstraps to alter hand to grip fit. VERY nice option. But the checkering is what it is...as I am sitting here, I am looking at my XDm in 9mm, and with only my memory to rely on (NOT good!) it seems to me that the XDs checkering is deeper and sharper...in my search for a carry gun I abandoned the consideration of "smallest possible" for several reasons, i.e. longer sight radius is always better, recoil is more manageable, and my chances of hitting what I am aiming at (the entire purpose, I think!) is enhanced. I just pack the XDm daily, iwb and owb, and after a while, ya don't even know its there. Sure, there are smaller pistols around, but if you need it, it darn well better be something you can use accurately...

The XDm has interchangeable backstraps to alter hand to grip fit. VERY nice option. But the checkering is what it is...as I am sitting here, I am looking at my XDm in 9mm, and with only my memory to rely on (NOT good!) it seems to me that the XDs checkering is deeper and sharper...in my search for a carry gun I abandoned the consideration of "smallest possible" for several reasons, i.e. longer sight radius is always better, recoil is more manageable, and my chances of hitting what I am aiming at (the entire purpose, I think!) is enhanced. I just pack the XDm daily, iwb and owb, and after a while, ya don't even know its there. Sure, there are smaller pistols around, but if you need it, it darn well better be something you can use accurately...

You make a strong argument for a larger pistol.
The entire reason I have been carrying a smaller frame is because I figure I carry it a lot more than I use it. In a jam, the small frame is still able to do what is needed. It's give and take.
On one side, full control and power. A full size 1911, XD 4" or 5" .45 or something of the sort. Very easy to control, but massive.
On the other, a North American Arms Derringer 22 short or 22LR. You can fit the damn thing behind your ear, but not what you want in a pinch.

I ended up sitting on the PF-9 in the spectrum of CCWs. As you pointed out though, going larger can be nicer. Besides the XDs, I'm also looking at the XDM 3.8" 45ACP.

Fishermans Marine in Tigard had two on Saturday....I bought one :)

Took it to TriCounty yesterday and thoroughly enjoyed shooting it. Quite a bang, but totally manageable. It shot a little high at 25 yds, but that's probably me, not the gun.

I have been looking for the right daily carry gun for quite a while. The XDS convinced me to sell my XDM 3.8 45 and P3AT, it's replacing both (never a .380 fan anyway). I used to carry one or the other, depending on weather and what I was wearing.

Just gotta pick up a couple new holsters now... Maybe a couple of the extended 7rd mags too.

You make a strong argument for a larger pistol.
The entire reason I have been carrying a smaller frame is because I figure I carry it a lot more than I use it. In a jam, the small frame is still able to do what is needed. It's give and take.
On one side, full control and power. A full size 1911, XD 4" or 5" .45 or something of the sort. Very easy to control, but massive.
On the other, a North American Arms Derringer 22 short or 22LR. You can fit the damn thing behind your ear, but not what you want in a pinch.

I ended up sitting on the PF-9 in the spectrum of CCWs. As you pointed out though, going larger can be nicer. Besides the XDs, I'm also looking at the XDM 3.8" 45ACP.

While I agree we probably all carry a lot more than use, I feel that "comfort" while carrying is not exactly my first priority for a firearm. Its kind of like saying "lets see if this framing hammer slaps me on the leg in my tool belt. Ohhh, thats not comfy. Give me the little tack hammer that feels nicer on my belt." Given a proper holster, a mid sized pistol will fit and can be worn all day without even knowing its there, perhaps with a size larger pair of pants to allow for the slghtly extra width of gun and holster. Remember, what you use "in a pinch" could determine yours, or your entire family's fate! So, is it comfort or function that rates higher? Just food for thought...

While I agree we probably all carry a lot more than use, I feel that "comfort" while carrying is not exactly my first priority for a firearm. Its kind of like saying "lets see if this framing hammer slaps me on the leg in my tool belt. Ohhh, thats not comfy. Give me the little tack hammer that feels nicer on my belt." Given a proper holster, a mid sized pistol will fit and can be worn all day without even knowing its there, perhaps with a size larger pair of pants to allow for the slghtly extra width of gun and holster. Remember, what you use "in a pinch" could determine yours, or your entire family's fate! So, is it comfort or function that rates higher? Just food for thought...

I agree with you. I can see the logic of a large frame and a small frame.
My basic thought goes like this

- Foremost, training. I must know the frame, feel, ballistics and learn bullet drop. I tend to shoot at least 10 rounds every weekend to 'maintain'
- Most engagements will be 7 meters or less. The advantage of a longer barrel in way of accuracy isn't really needed here. (train)
- XDs holds 6 rounds. If 6 rounds doesn't do it, you are spray and praying. (Again, train)
- How does it feel? Large frame, double stack, single stack? There is no correct answer to this. There are factors in the frame that I went over. Accuracy and rounds per mag. But I'm just talking about the ability to handle it. This is all training and preference.

Comfort. This is a factor to me. How often do I have to adjust the firearm, is it comfortable? This is a factor, even to those who won't admit it. ...Actually, if you carry a S&W 500 or the Pfeifer Zeliska 28mm Revolver then you can truly claim you don't care about comfort. For the rest of us, the size range is from a derringer to typically a full frame 1911. From the above factors, where one is on that scale of size doesn't really matter. If I carry a PF-9 or XDs in lieu of a 1911, this does not put my family in danger.
It is just a matter of preference.
There is no right answer.

Note: I didn't get into caliber; that is a thread of it's own.

Carry a pistol should be 'comforting' not comfortable... One of the reasons I carry a full size 1911! btw fancy to see we know some of the same folks! the guy with the XDS!

small disconcerting side note, the magazine blocking lever has a bit of a rattle to it. Has anyone out there picked one up yet? If so, have you experienced this as well?

Don't believe this little rattle will affect performance, but I am a cautious man and curious to know if anyone's experienced this small issue.

I just picked one up today. Mine rattles slightly too. My XDm did the same thing, if I remember correctly. Here's mine.

Guns 002.jpg

I've been carrying IWB since I purchased it this morning. It absolutely disappears under just a T-shirt.

Guns 002.jpg

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top