JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
My bad sorry it is Sat

Did you guys notice the ammo is Remingtons " THUNDER DUDS " ? In my humble opinion after having shot thousands of .22 lr in my life , this has to be the WORST of the American made .22 ammo out there . If I had no other ammo I would of course shoot it but would try to limit it to bolt action rifles as it runs SO DIRTY . Even then I would carry a boresnake with me and run it every dozen or so rounds . I have expierienced a very high number of missfires with this ammo as well , hence the name I and others have given it .

10 Spot

I am with 10 Spot ....this ammo is good if love cleaning your gun and don't mind your auto feed needing the occasional clearing . I'd buy it if that was all there was and I wanted my granddaughter to try out my single six revolver and there was nothing else in my safe. But
, I have enough good copper plated rounds on hand already. Wax cover lead rounds are never as much fun for me. Ruger 10/22 's are soo much better (forgiving) than the average auto loader that somehow makes up for the odd weak load in every price point brand of ammo. But I don't shoot my 10/22 exclusively. Just wondering if anyone else has been frustrated by average or below average .22 ammo.

A guaranteed quarter million rounds of just one brand is better than nothing.. especially if it makes the scalpers cry and say it's just terrible ammo.. lol

Just wondering if anyone else has been frustrated by average or below average .22 ammo.
Yep, you are not the only one.

I have just finished a bunch of Winchester "Wildcat" white box that had about at 20% failure rate in my Ruger 22/45.
It was kind of a blessing in that it made me tune up the Ruger attempting to get the White Box to run in it. Wound up polishing the feed ramp, installed Volquartsen's bolt tune-up kit, a set of the excellent VQ machined magazine floorplates for positive seating and ejection.

In the end I got the "Wildcats" up to about a 10% failure rate but they were just awful, right down to the last "click"-nothing. o_O

Federal Champions are proving to be only slightly unreliable with about a 2% FTF rate, and, coming as no surprise to most shooters, CCI Blazer and CCI premium .22's are The Gold Standard. I am pleasantly surprised that the CCI Blazers are turning out to be as good as they are; good thing, too because those are the only ones I've been able to get this year.

How do Thunderbolts compare to Golden Bullets?

I've run about 150 rounds of the Golden Bullets through my '80s vintage S&W auto which is rather picky. So far zero failures. Does throw a lot of crud out of the ejection port onto my hand though. Have shot about 120 rounds of Blazer, also with no failures, and about the tightest groups in a .22LR available in bulk. I'd rate the rest of bulk as follows:
M-22 (maybe around 2% failure rate, FTE, no duds)
Super-X, 333-rd pack (about 5-10% failure, mostly duds)

Federal Champion, 525-rd pack (>20%, failures to fire, failures to eject, lots of duds; nice groups, but this is last resort ammo for me)

[Update.
Shot some more and Winchester 333 is nearly as bad Federal. M-22 closer to 10-20% failure rate, with a few jams and duds too. Another 50 rounds of Golden Bullets, with only one failure to feed.]

Last Edited:
Lots of 22 around 11:30am today :) Even saw a lot of powder although I couldnt tell you what types. Just more than I have seen in a while. Place was busy but well managed with the lines and availability. Great looking store!

Was there at 4. They still had about 30-40 cans of the nitrogen-sealed Federal. About 25 50-rd boxes of Australian-made Winchester 42-gr subsonic ($6.49). Maybe 10 100-rd trays of CCI .22 shorts. Around 5 boxes of CCI .22 magnums of some sort. No more of the Thunderbolts on the shelf, but when I was walking toward the camping area, a salesgirl had a box in each hand, walking back to the gun section. She remarked to another clerk that she had found it hidden behind some clothes.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top