JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
More Power. Bigger is better.

I think its all marketing. Peoples heads are not watermelons. If someone actually unloads a .410 birdshot load into someones face. It will blind and mutilate the attacker. Will it stop the attack? Probably. Will it kill the attacker? Doubtful. What you will have is a situation where you will be forced to justify maiming a person. Even if you are legitimately defending yourself, I think a person would lose a civil suit contending "cruel and unusual punishment" or torture. Its one thing to shoot a person, but its another to blind and shred a person's face. At least, that is how a public jury would probably look at it. Maybe even a prosecutor might think its extreme for a defensive scenario. The prosecutor or litigating attorney will show the jury all those cool commercials exploding watermelons and portray the owner as a vigilante out for blood. The jury will take one look at whats left of the bad guys face and give him something for his pain and suffering. Don't think it wouldn't happen? You better hope there are 12 NRA members on that jury then, not the people who blog "why can't the Police just shoot him in the leg?" :(

That is a lot of money to spend on a gimmick.

I guess I can see its value as a "trail" gun that can give you the option of choosing .410 for snakes and small game or .45LC for bigger critters of the four and two-legged variety without having to unload/reload the gun.

But it is quite frankly irresponsible for the ammo manufacturers to market gimmicky .410 "buckshot" loads as being a good choice for self defense. Better than nothing? Yes. Better than any of the proven defensive handgun calibers such as 9mm, .38+p,.357mag, .40S&W or .45ACP for which a wide variety of guns and ammo choices are readily available? NO.

If I am going to rely on a 5-shot revolver then it will be a lightweight snubby in .38+P that is easy to conceal. Or if I am willing to deal with the extra size and weight of a full-sized gun for open carry or home defense then I had better be gaining some additional firepower or improved ballistics in return. The 45/410 hybrids from Taurus and now S&W are pretty much the worst of both worlds in that regard.

But it is quite frankly irresponsible for the ammo manufacturers to market gimmicky .410 "buckshot" loads as being a good choice for self defense. Better than nothing? Yes. Better than any of the proven defensive handgun calibers such as 9mm, .38+p,.357mag, .40S&W or .45ACP for which a wide variety of guns and ammo choices are readily available? NO.

I disagree.
I like the idea of home defense with a buckshot that "only" has ~4.5" of penetration. Some people cannot afford to hit what's on the other side of the wall.

If y'all read some of the other threads around the interwebben,you will notice the because the 410/45lc has rifling,the pattern sucks something terrible with said 410 rounds.
They aren't very good even at 10 feet.

Use a Magsafe or Glaser round. Less recoil, more controllability, will not overpenetrate.

That's what the packaging says, but when it's put to the test...
Glaser Safety Slug vs. Interior wall and ballistic gelatin - THR

Perhaps the point of greatest interest is the failure of the bullet to reduce penetration when fired through
interior walls, as might occur in the event of a complete miss during a defensive shooting event inside a
structure –- lethality of the round is actually increased by the presence of an intervening interior wall.

There is an advantage to the governor over the judge. The governor can shoot 45lc/410 and 45acp. when i held it, it felt much better than the judge. As for defense with the 410, look into the winchester PDX1 rounds. they are pretty mean.

Do u still have this gun. My sister was rapped 2 weeks ago and I want something easy shooting. I dont have alot of money however i would like to know how much you want for it. Stainless or black. If you can giving me any info on the gun i would appreciate it. how used ect

Mike
[email protected]

Do u still have this gun. My sister was rapped 2 weeks ago and I want something easy shooting. I dont have alot of money however i would like to know how much you want for it. Stainless or black. If you can giving me any info on the gun i would appreciate it. how used ect

Mike
[email protected]

Hey Boss, sorry to hear about your sister. That is something that nobody should go through. However, this thread is not a classified ad, but just for general discussion. You may have better success locating a self defense pistol for her in the classified section of the forum.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top