Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

New smartphone .380 gun?!

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by clearconscience, Mar 23, 2016.

1. clearconscience

clearconscience Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

2. clearconscience

3. Dyjital

Dyjital Albany, Ore Flavorite Member Bronze Supporter

Lol. gizmodo calls it a .308.....

clearconscience likes this.
  4. AndyinEverson

AndyinEverson Everson, Wa. Well-Known Member

Speaking only for myself , I like my guns to look like guns.
    Not looking like escapee's from a Man from U.N.C.L.E show or James Bond movie.

I understand the need for concealed carry options and am supportive of those who carry.
    I like the "out of the box" thinking that went into this gun.
    But the chance of misuse of this design , seems to me to be higher than the benefits.
    To expand on this idea , I think that if a gun does not look like a gun , then some folks might not take it seriously or treat it like a gun.
    Also I can just imagine someone of bad intent having an easier time sneaking in this gun someplace to do misdeeds with this design.

Granted , Someone of bad intent might not care what his gun looks like or if you see his gun or not.
    Also I am not saying that this gun should be banned or not made , bought etc ...
    Anything that is misused , can be dangerous.
    As the ad stated it might just be the ticket for some folks.
    But not for me.
    Andy

Last edited: Mar 25, 2016
  5. ZA_Survivalist

ZA_Survivalist Oregon AK's all day.

Ultimate concealment. With this, looking 99% like a phone when folded up one wouldnt have an excuse to NOT carry. I can see this filling a role that other firearms cant, and thats blending in, in plain sight. The price point isnt horrible either.. for what it is. Other firearms do things far better than this pistol can, but few could be worn openly on their hip like this one can.

Logan Wilson and etrain16 like this.
  6. etrain16

etrain16 Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

I've got mixed feelings about it too - but you nailed it - this thing leaves you with really no excuse not to carry under pretty much any circumstance. And if you need to be really deeply concealed, this is not a bad option. I'm keeping an eye on these to see how they do once they come out.

I emailed the company about a month ago and they emailed back that they were hoping to have the first working prototypes ready for testing by May. Expected price range is about $350.

clearconscience and Logan Wilson like this.
  7. Liberty97045

Liberty97045 Oregon City Well-Known Member

I agree, cool idea and decent solution for some people. A novelty for most though. I will stick with my KelTec 380 with a pocket clip. It fits right in my pants pocket without the need for a holster.

8. ZA_Survivalist

I really hope they dont totally cheap out and make the thing flimsy. With its design they could incorporate a laser, light or both. It certainly has some potential.

I hope the trigger pull isnt some ridiculous heavy DAO. I figure with the design, the grip should be the cocking mechanism when unfolded, that or it could be a break barrel design.. Either way at the point of deployment a heavy DA trigger wouldnt be needed.. Sadly I think they may go that route.. However I'd still put aside my dislike for heavy triggers and .380's for the open concealment abilities. Cant wait for these to come to stores so I can see what they're about.

etrain16 likes this.
  9. etrain16

The design does already incorporate a laser, so that's a nice feature. As for the trigger, I agree with you - a heavy DAO really would not be desirable. And since you are likely planing to shoot the gun when it's unfolded, you can treat that like a safety and allow for a decent trigger when completely unfolded.

ZA_Survivalist likes this.
  10. Dyjital

Dyjital Albany, Ore Flavorite Member Bronze Supporter

I've been thinking a lot about this since the last post I made.

Clipping this to a belt.. not so fancy. My issues would be to ensure that the firearm hung barrels pointing down, not sideways.

When it comes to trigger style: the same setup that's on my PT111G2 with the double strike capabilities is fine. It may have a rough trigger but that's fine. I can still hit the 8" plates 23 of 25 times when shooting at 21'. I wouldn't mind the DAO trigger. I'm used to it. Whatever trigger it has though, trigger time is always a must.

11. jrprich

jrprich PNW Well-Known Member

What happens at the TSA at the airport once these are for sale. Will we all have to have each and every cell phone hand examined by TSA :(

12. etrain16

Your phone has to go on the belt anyway, and I am fairly certain on a X-ray, it will be obvious it's a gun. I don't think folks will be sneaking them on planes. I remember back when the first Glocks came to town and people thought these new 'plastic' guns would easy to pass through metal detectors. As ineffective as the TSA may be, I think they would be likely to catch these.

Dyjital likes this.
  13. ZA_Survivalist

Haha.. Shoot, with some early flights I take Id have to really make sure I was grabbing my phone and not the pistol haha.

clearconscience and etrain16 like this.
  14. clearconscience

I really just like the ingenuity and technology of thinking outside the box, spy craft, or just the govt getting all nazi about guns.

Back in the good ol days they had ring guns, cane guns, umbrella guns, watch, you name it. It's cool they are doing this again.

Obviously some jack wagon will use it to do harm or just be stupid.
    You can say that for anything. A terrorist isn't looking to use this, they want a bomb or AK47.

15. PaulB47

PaulB47 Hillsboro Well-Known Member

"Why do you have two cell phones?"

16. clearconscience

I used to carry two phones. One personal and one for work.

I know a guy who carries like 4 phones because he 4-5 businesses. Not sure why that many.