JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey all. Just moved to Oregon from Texas late last year. Im an avid shooter as you can probably would assume since I lived in TX for 28 yrs before moving to Oregon recently. I was checking out some shooting ranges in the West edge of Oregon and found most of them charge craploads of money for a membership fee. With some charging extra for being a non NRA member :(

Im looking for outdoor spots to shoot with a nice open space. Not really a fan of indoor ranges.

I would also like a few opinions from well establish ppl here on a potential spot I found thats west of Portland, OR. Its a bit of land thats just South of Cochran Pond. Its along Standard Grade which is off the corner of Wheeler Pond Rd/Cochran Rd.

:huh:

Thanks

So you're from Salem? im in independence. a few of my friends and i are going to some place outside of mcminneville if you would like to share your shooting spot that would be nice. i clean up after myself so i wont be leaving any mess behind when i leave. i hope youre enjoying our lovely northwest weather as well.

when are you all headed out? sure i have no problems with sharing a spot. A hell of a lot better than the dry tinderbox in texas lol. I just want to make sure that spot I was asking about was an ok spot known by the ppl here since I am new to the state.

I'm not sure of what time I know we are trying to make it a morning event. I've only recently started getting into shooting so I'm unaware of the Portland spot you are referring too. Is it accessible via a lowered car. The spot we are going to on Friday is paved

Wow guys, that is a long way to travel to go shooting.....theres no place closer to salem? I live near McMinnville, and we head west out of Carlton to go shooting, and its still a bit of a drive from here.

Wow guys, that is a long way to travel to go shooting.....theres no place closer to salem? I live near McMinnville, and we head west out of Carlton to go shooting, and its still a bit of a drive from here.

How far (minute wise) would you estimate it is from Salem, OR to where you go shooting at (provided its a gravel pit or some other place out of the way of city boundaries or developed area?

How far (minute wise) would you estimate it is from Salem, OR to where you go shooting at (provided its a gravel pit or some other place out of the way of city boundaries or developed area?

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?aut...d=203685220985221328201.0004c3e110bc9fe3ac98d

A bit more than an hour i'd think. The roads near Hwy 6 are a bit better (the gravel roads, that is), but there's also a lot more people in the area. Browns camp isn't far off, and its a popular route to Tillamook. The places i go are beyond the reservoir on the map above, though initially i went shooting on the road that spurs off to the south from the point on the map, and a couple of clearings below the reservoir, but there was a lot of garbage and i'd rather not be associated with that. I've heard from some that weyerhauser (and other private owners) owns a lot of the land up there, and aren't very friendly to target shooting, but i've never had a problem. I do try to go a bit off the beaten path if i can, in order to avoid problems.

If you wanted me to lead you out to a few spots on saturday, i could do it before 1400, but i won't be able to go out shooting until the 14th or 15th, sadly. Lately, i've been going out kind of spur-of-the-moment in the evenings when its nice, but i doubt that'd work for you coming from salem. If you wanted to check out some spots on saturday, i can lead you in the right direction, but if you're intrested in some company, i can plan for almost any weekend.

Flyingswords, welcome to a cooler part of the world. I lived in KS before moving back to Oregon (born here), so I know about the mid-west heat! Anyhow, I go up to that area past McGuire reservoir. There are several good spots there. I am in Newberg and it takes me about 45 min. I don't know when I can get free again, but would be glad to meet somewhere and take you up and show you around. We'll bring some garbage bags too.

What shooting are you doing? Pistols, rifles, both?

cpy911

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads