JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm looking at rifles for my next buy. I think I have it narrowed down to two. I am not looking for something tactical, but I want something that can shoot with some good power, just faster than my M700 7MM hunting rifle. I want a classic, so I am thinking either a Ruger Mini 14 with wood stock, just plain Jane, or a M1Garand. Looking at prices, they are pretty close on cost. What would you pick, and why? I like classics with some history, so a Garand is really catching my eye.

If you can find an M1 Garand at a reasonable price, go for it. I love Mini's, but even so I'd go for the M1 every time.

The Mini is an outstanding rifle. I've had three 14's and one 30 and loved them all. If you decide to go for a Mini, go for a newer 580 Series. They are much improved over the older models. Another thing is to not use aftermarket mags. They generally don't work worth a darn. So you're stuck with factory mags, but that never bothered me in the least.

PTR GI 7.62 NATO. Just bought one and love it.. near new 20 rd mags are $1.50 each. Google Atlantic Firearms to buy one

For a mini 14 use John Mason mags.. cheap and very reliable

I had a nice rebuilt Garand and sold it. It's only real advantage over detachable mag modern weapons is in the prone position. If you envision a lot of that then the Garand may be a good choice. One more thing, do consider one in 7.62 NATO unless you are a handloader cause surplus 30-06 has dried up. I have cases of the AP black tip left in case I ever buy a BAR repro

Mini-14 vs M-1 is really apples and oranges! The M-1 is a battle rifle, much longer range, and more energy. It is big, heavy, robust and historic! The mini is none of these things. It is light, handy and lots of fun though! At reasonable ranges it's a little fist full of firepower. I love mine it's super reliable although it's 37yrs old. It was my sons first varmint rifle and out to about 250yds, did a reasonable job. You should get both!!!
PS: M-1's are a lot of fun to shoot too!

Last Edited:
I just bought a 100 pack of German date marked aluminum G3 20 rd mags, some new in the wrapper, many in excellent shape, and some a bit scratched from storage and handling only for $1.50 each. You can't even buy M1 Garand enblock clips for that any more

I just bought a 100 pack of German date marked aluminum G3 20 rd mags, some new in the wrapper, many in excellent shape, and some a bit scratched from storage and handling only for $1.50 each. You can't even buy M1 Garand enblock clips for that any more

I dated a German once. She had a funny name.

I personally don't care for the 5.56. With expanding ammo, it can be quite a nasty weapon. With FMJ's, I can't understand why anyone in our military would be OK with it. I personally would go for something in .308. Springfield M1A, PTR, FAL, Tanker Garand or the like. I very much like the .308. I use it as my main hunting round and keep an Enfield bolt gun with 12 round box mags in what I would like to be my "fixed" shooting position at the homestead if things ever went that far. With limited time behind a PTR, I would say that I prefer the M1A. I have no doubt that all Blitzkrieg' praise for the PTR is valid. I just don't have the first hand experience.

A .223 is cute for coyotes. The .308 can literally break a man in half. With today's projectiles, I wouldn't hesitate to use anything from 150's to 180's on anything in America, 2 legs or 4.

That's my opinion and I don't state it to take away from anyone else. Good luck with your purchase, whatever it may be.

I'm looking at rifles for my next buy. I think I have it narrowed down to two. I am not looking for something tactical, but I want something that can shoot with some good power, just faster than my M700 7MM hunting rifle. I want a classic, so I am thinking either a Ruger Mini 14 with wood stock, just plain Jane, or a M1Garand. Looking at prices, they are pretty close on cost. What would you pick, and why? I like classics with some history, so a Garand is really catching my eye.

Are they really that close in cost these days? Haven't been paying attention. Any way it depends of course on what you want it for.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top