JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Which scope?

• Total voters
And Leupold has that schexy gold ring, too! I have a lowly VX-2 4-18x40AO duplex on my .308 Ruger American.... it smokes the range targets, and it helped drop a forked-horn blackie with one shot to the heart.

So four VX's more has GOT to be better, right? o_O:D

Just look at that mauled heart!!
image.jpg

Buddy pointed out that the vortex with a 50mm objective would require high rings, it looks like I can get away with medium rings with the VX6.

I'm buying a new Winchester 70 in 300 win mag, and she'll need some nice glass to go on top!

Leuopold vx-6
Zeiss Conquest HD5
Zwarovski Z3

I'm looking to spend around $1k.

I must say that I'm really impressed with the specs on the Zeiss Conquest HD5 series.

I guess that I am more of a traditionalist, and really don't care for the trend to huge 30 and 34mm tubes and massive objectives. A nice 1 inch tube and 42mm objective makes for a nice traditional size scope that is not too heavy and bulky.

The 2-10x42 has a really nice wide field of view at 2x. Would be awesome for hunting up close in thick or confined places. If you plan more open and long range hunting, then the 3-15x42 would be the better choice.

They have some really nice looking reticles too, that look like they would be very practical to use in the field,

My vote is VX-6 for what has already been said by others. BUT, nobody has mentioned the CDS dials that come with the VX-6s! Once you get your load figured out and chronographed just send in the CDS dials and your information and Leupold will cut you dials specifically for your setup. Easy meat in the fridge.

The VX-R has it too and it's an option to consider if "dialing up" is something you plan on being able to do. I'm taking a class pretty soon and I think it will be helpful. Other times I don't like it. The turret isn't covered and can be spun a little when going thru brushy areas. I wish there was a lock for it.

Any other votes for the vortex viper PST? I bought the rifle this evening, 06 instead of the 300, and while I was there, I looked at the vx3, Zeiss hd5 and viper PST. The Zeiss and leupold had approximately the same brightness in a well lit store.

My buddy is trying to sell me on the viper with first focal plane and turrets, thoughts?

That has been my opinion as well, based on my experience with these brands. I did own a Viper PST 6-24x briefly, but it was no clearer or brighter than my Sightron scopes. Probably even perhaps a tad below them in image quality. I was not impressed. I've never owned a Zeiss, but have looked through a few.

If you want to save a little money, get the Zeiss. Otherwise, if you go with the VX6, I would get the illuminated Boone & Crockett reticle option. It will add to the cost a little, but it sure looks like it would be a fantastic reticle for hunting.

2039_rr4.jpg

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top