JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Which scope?

• Total voters
Vortex look great in the store no question. But they do not compare in real light conditions. The center of the vortex optics is as clear as the VX-6, however the edge to edge clarity is no comparison to the VX-6.

I have had the VX6 out side in real conditions more than a vortex and under those real life conditions, I'd be pissed if I spent a grand on one with that kind of clarity and resolution. When talking with the "professional" at sportsman's warehouse he did say the VX6 varies wildly from one scope to another. He also mentioned the last demo they had was sent back for warranty due to "stuff inside it".

I'm not trying to be a Leupold basher here as I have a few of them and was wildly excited about the VX6 in 3-18 specifically. I was going to buy one for the wifes build and my new rifle too. Like I said above after actually getting real hands on. I will not pay 1K for one. To me there in a 5-600 dollar quality class. YMMV.

I have had the VX6 out side in real conditions more than a vortex and under those real life conditions, I'd be pissed if I spent a grand on one with that kind of clarity and resolution. When talking with the "professional" at sportsman's warehouse he did say the VX6 varies wildly from one scope to another. He also mentioned the last demo they had was sent back for warranty due to "stuff inside it".

I'm not trying to be a Leupold basher here as I have a few of them and was wildly excited about the VX6 in 3-18 specifically. I was going to buy one for the wifes build and my new rifle too. Like I said above after actually getting real hands on. I will not pay 1K for one. To me there in a 5-600 dollar quality class. YMMV.
Hmmmm, it looks like NW Armory has them for the same price as online, so I'll make sure to take a look at them.

[QUOTE="When talking with the "professional" at sportsman's warehouse he did say the VX6 varies wildly from one scope to another. "[/QUOTE]

hmmmm...Did he mention anything in specific or just in general? I own 3 VX-6's (1-6, 4-24, and 7-42) and i haven't noticed any issues with any of them personally.

[QUOTE="When talking with the "professional" at sportsman's warehouse he did say the VX6 varies wildly from one scope to another. "

He did mention glass clarity and issues with floaters. Keep in mind he is just a counter "kid". He did seem more coherent than a lot of them though.

hmmmm...Did he mention anything in specific or just in general? I own 3 VX-6's (1-6, 4-24, and 7-42) and i haven't noticed any issues with any of them personally.[/QUOTE]

You owe it to yourself to look at the Nightforce SHV scopes in that price range.

Personally I don't think you gain anything from any of these scopes including the SHV over a VX3 scope. Half the cost.

Warne rings are what I would use for mounts. Inexpensive and they work. I have never lapped these rings and I've never had them leave a mark on a scope.

''You owe it to yourself to look at ''

I don't think he wants to look for the best, clearest, or anything suggested other than.

''Leupold VX-6, Zeiss Con, or Swarovski'' .

You can't fill a glass of water when it's already full!;)

If you want to compare glass, not only do you need to do it outside the store, you need to do it when the light is low. Otherwise you're pretty much wasting your time.
As far as taking the advice of a "counterman" at a retail store, I'll leave that up to you. I'd prefer to take the advice of seasoned vets of the "hobby" you plan to explore. You wanna shoot long range, talk to the long range shooters. You want benchrest? Talk to them guys with the funny stocks...

All three of the makers the OP lists make great glass. Is there better? possibly.

Me? I'm a hunter. What matters to me is light gathering ability in poor light and repeatability. A Leupold VX-I with bring enough light into my eye at O dark thirty that I have to adjust to see again once I put the scope down. I now use a VX-R that will allow me to see things in poor light that I can not see with the naked eye. Supposedly the VX-6 is markedly better, but I've not had the chance to check it out.(really wanted to try the VX-L)
I've never had an issue with adjustments (repeatability) on a Leupold. Some scopes seem to have a different value compared to the dial, but they are always "square".

We have only had to take one scope back to Leupold. A 1967 3-9x40 that had a rough life went a little whacky a few years ago. No questions from the Leupold staff except for "what's the complaint?"

If my 375 Ruger or the 45-70 that developed over 4000 ft lbs didn't knock a VX-I for a loop, I don't think that recoil is a valid concern, either.

Can I give you a reason to not buy another top brand scope? Nope. I'd be lyin.

But I can give you several years of "hunter" experience why I'd not shy away from Leupold.

i have a couple leupolds but quite frankly I feel my viper PSTs are a much, much better deal for the $$.

the leupold glass is marginally better but not enough to justify the premium price. the viper PST glass is fine and I get far more features for the same $$. if you spend all your time looking at the outer ege of your scope it might be an important factor, but i spend my time looking at the center.

both leupold and vortex have lifetime warranty so on that basis they are equal.

the vortex viper pst 6-24x50 FFP with ebr-2c reticle. i don't think you will find a better scope with the same feature set for less.

caveat: i do not hunt, i do not do low light shooting. these are absolutely not criteria at all for me. i do precision long range shooting so repeatability is important.

Leupold VX-6. no question.
Plus as everyone said, they are guaranteed for life and built to take the beatings.

Not just your life time but your kids and grand kids. I was talking to a guy at the range and he inherited his grandpas scope i think it said it was from the 50s well he fell on it and broke something in it and they fixed or replaced it i don't recall which but they didn't question it when he brought it in even though the scope was 10 years older than he was

vortex is a good scope and now have a lifetime warrantee i won't argue that . they have been in business since 1986 and scopes are made over seas Japan, Philippines, and China thus making them a bargain since the labor cost a lot less (except the Japanese ones )

Leopold has a lifetime warrantee and has been proven over and over to stand behind it . and has been in business here in Portland metro area since 1909

I think the OP did a good job of narrowing it down to 3 fine scopes but if i were to go and hi jack this post with what I recommend and even though it has a crappy warrantee that only covers the original owner which is probably the corner and only corner they had to cut to keep this under a grand is the Trijicon accupoint . Don't get the triangle one thats more for tactical type shooting but get the one with the cross hairs and smaller dot. trust me your not just paying for the trillium and fiber optics like so many who never owned one argue.

the glass is truly magnificent or It may be that i have just never compared it to the higher end $800+ scopes . While hunting when my hunting partner was putting away his rifle cause it was getting too dark to see through his scope my accupoint still lit it up he took a look through and said how can it do that? and I am not talking about the lit dot but the way the things sucks in the light and even at dusk details are still sharp and clear. and even though i have used VX3s and Elite 4200s this one was the first one that I said Wow now i understand why some scopes cost hundreds more.

Last Edited:
Any other votes for the vortex viper PST? I bought the rifle this evening, 06 instead of the 300, and while I was there, I looked at the vx3, Zeiss hd5 and viper PST. The Zeiss and leupold had approximately the same brightness in a well lit store.

My buddy is trying to sell me on the viper with first focal plane and turrets, thoughts?

VX-6 definately! haha. Especially since you are going to be using it primarily for hunting, you want to be confident your scope isn't going to fail and is specifically built for low light situations. Yes Leupold and Vortex have essentially the same warranty, but with Leupold it's a warranty you will not have to use. Leupold scopes undergo arduous environmental and impact testing to ensure they meet the highest quality standards for durability and dependability, and i dont think Vortex can say the same.

My vote is VX-6 for what has already been said by others. BUT, nobody has mentioned the CDS dials that come with the VX-6s! Once you get your load figured out and chronographed just send in the CDS dials and your information and Leupold will cut you dials specifically for your setup. Easy meat in the fridge.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top