Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

New S&W 500

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by cast n blast, Mar 18, 2012.

1. cast n blast

cast n blast Toledo New Member

Just picked up a new S&W 500 with 4" barrel last week. Finally got to shoot er today. HOLY CRAP!!! What a kick in the pants to shoot!! Can't wait to get out and shoot it again!

2. chase

chase Wilsonville, OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

I shot one once. 4" with compensator S&W. It was one shot then I handed it back, talk about power, wow!

3. accessbob

accessbob Molalla, OR 2A Supporter

How much are the cartridges? I asked the range where I can rent one (and I intend to at one point just to be able to shoot it at least once), and they said their current price that they sell them for is $3.86 per cartridge.

4. DOA

DOA Aloha, OR -185th & TV Hwy Active Member

It will always create a perma grin effect. I dropped $71+ on a box of 20 Platinum Winchesters at the range 400grain. All I have to say is WOW:wow: Shell shock from the price (required in house ammo buy) and shock from how awesome it felt to shoot it. .500 4"

I have plenty of videos with lots of comments and explicitives from by bystanders and friends, at different ranges.

5. TDH

TDH Portland Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

my friend has a longer one- that thing is nuts- and at $3 or $4 a shot it doesn't get used too much :)

6. Nwcid

Nwcid Yakima and N of Spokane Well-Known Member

Time to learn to reload.

I have the same issue with .50 AE. Factory ammo ~$3/rd. Reloads ~$0.30/rd..........

7. PDXoriginal

PDXoriginal PNW Well-Known Member

shoot some 700gr leads and get back to us how you feel...

8. bmw2

bmw2 Mount Vernon, Wa Active Member

I'm waiting for an air weight model.:bluelaugh:

9. orygun

orygun West Linn Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Last time I checked the Hornady ammo was $56 for a box of 20. A couple of years ago I was able to load full power loads with a Sierra 400gr soft point over H110 for a little under a buck a shot using brass I already had. Even then it wasn't cheap to shoot, but the giggle factor per round is incredibly high.
    I had the same gun as the OP. 4" barrel plus 1" of comp. Gave a whole new meaning to "Hand cannon".

10. PlayboyPenguin

PlayboyPenguin Pacific Northwest Well-Known Member 2016 Volunteer

I love mine. I have a video of me shooting mine in slow motion on my youtube page.

11. cast n blast

I didn't get a chance to shop around so I just grabbed the only box available at the local gun shop which were Hornady 300 gr ftx. Ended up being 3 bucks a shot.

12. PlayboyPenguin

PlayboyPenguin Pacific Northwest Well-Known Member 2016 Volunteer

The 400 gr. DoubleTap seems to be the cheapest at about $45 a box.

13. cast n blast

Thanks Playboy, I'll have to check into them.

14. AMT

AMT Vancouver, WA. Gold Supporter Gold Supporter

Check HSM. I was in Fife, WA. at SportCo and picked up a box of 20, 300gr for ~$25 and another box of 20, 350gr for ~$28. That's the cheapest I've been able to find....

15. DOA

DOA Aloha, OR -185th & TV Hwy Active Member

And if you have a Cabela's coupon you get a bit more off. HSM is definitely cheaper to shoot.

I seen FOOLS blast 700+ grain. If and when I buy another one I will give it a try. More worried about destroying a not so cheap gun that's precious. ;)