JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Another victory!

Original story here

New rules ease ban on guns in national parks

Concealed-weapons permits, state permission will be required

WASHINGTON - People will now be able to carry concealed firearms in some national parks and wildlife refuges.An Interior Department rule issued Friday allows an individual to carry a loaded weapon in a park or wildlife refuge — but only if the person has a permit for a concealed weapon, and if the state where the park or refuge is located also allows loaded firearms in parks.

The rule overturns a Reagan-era regulation that has restricted loaded guns in parks and wildlife refuges. The previous regulations required that firearms be unloaded and placed somewhere that is not easily accessible, such as in a car trunk.

Assistant Interior Secretary Lyle Laverty said the new rule respects a long tradition of states and the federal government working together on natural resource issues.

The regulation allows individuals to carry concealed firearms in federal parks and wildlife refuges to the same extent they can lawfully do so under state law, Laverty said, adding that the approach is in line with rules adopted by the federal Bureau of Land Management and the U.S. Forest Service. Those agencies let visitors carry weapons consistent with applicable federal and state laws.

The National Rifle Association hailed the rule change, which will take effect next month before President-elect Barack Obama takes office.

"We are pleased that the Interior Department recognizes the right of law-abiding citizens to protect themselves and their families while enjoying America's national parks and wildlife refuges," said Chris W. Cox, the NRA's chief lobbyist.

The rule will restore the rights of law-abiding gun owners on federal lands and make federal law consistent with the state where the lands are located, Cox said. The NRA led efforts to change gun regulations they called inconsistent and unclear.

A group representing park rangers, retirees and conservation organizations said the rule change will lead to confusion for visitors, rangers and other law enforcement agencies.

"Once again, political leaders in the Bush administration have ignored the preferences of the American public by succumbing to political pressure, in this case generated by the National Rifle Association," said Bill Wade, president of the Coalition of National Park Service Retirees.

"This regulation will put visitors, employees and precious resources of the National Park System at risk. We will do everything possible to overturn it and return to a commonsense approach to guns in national parks that has been working for decades," Wade said.

The park rule will be published in the Federal Register next week and take effect 30 days later, well before Obama takes office Jan. 20. Overturning the rule could take months or even years, since it would require the new administration to restart the lengthy rule-making process.

"This regulation will put visitors, employees and precious resources of the National Park System at risk. We will do everything possible to overturn it and return to a commonsense approach to guns in national parks that has been working for decades,"

Because concealed carriers shoot at people and animals without reason?

This is a "VICTORY"?? It requires you to have a permit ,which you have to bribe the government to get, to exercise a god given and constutionally protected right and it also must be O.K. with the state the park is in. Your too easy to please.

Baby steps, my friend. Every time we win a small battle such as this, we gain ground on our opposition (the anti-gun crowd). As much as we'd like to have uninfringed gun rights as enumerated in the constitution, we have to also have to be realistic as to how we're going to win that fight. Short of someone like Ron Paul winning the next presidency, we're going to have to continue fighting small battles here and there in order to achieve our overall goal and win the war.

Overturning the rule could take months or even years...

My guess is months once the next Administration is in office. Not that I'm against this - especially since my wife's family owns land within a National Park and there are questions about whether firearms are allowed on that private property - but I don't think this is a long-term win.

I'd like to see a list of OK parks. Anyone have that handy?:s0155: I'm all in favor of this!

The creator of the universe granted us the 'right' to carry lethal weapons in parks? What chapter of Leviticus was that one in? I think I missed it! :) And it's you're (contraction of you are; not your as in, belonging to you.) Just kidding of course. I mean coarse.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top