JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
It's a bolt action with foward mounted scope so you can use stripper clips (but it does not accept stripper clips)
It's a bolt action so it will be more accurate than a semi-auto. (dubious at best, especialy since it is an investment cast reciever and barrel)
It has a ten round magazine so it will,,,,,shoot as fast as a semi, lay down suppresive fire? Whatever! A DM Savage will do the same for half the price. (stripper clips do the same, far cheaper, in a milled steel rifle.)
It has a Muzzel break/Flash hider because,,,why? (it's not even a Good MB, it will kick-up dirt when shooting prone.)
Fancy laminated stock? (ATAS)
Detachable mags (cheap detachable mags? Not from Ruger!)
Reasonably priced (about as reasonable as an SR-25)

It's a bolt action with foward mounted scope so you can use stripper clips (but it does not accept stripper clips)
It's a bolt action so it will be more accurate than a semi-auto. (dubious at best, especialy since it is an investment cast reciever and barrel)

#1 A scout rifle doesn't place the scope forward to use stripper clips, it's so you can use both eyes efficiently.

#2The receiver is investment cast, but it is not cast iron or "pot" metal and is much stronger and more stable than some forged pieces.The bolt is the same way. The barrel is not, nor ever was an investment cast piece. They are hammer forged steel.

I've owned several Ruger rifles. Like all rifles some will shoot smaller groups than others, but all that I've had have been none worse than perfectly acceptable and others bordered on spectacular. The Compact my wife has is far better than just "acceptable" and it has a wispy 16.5" barrel. I can only guess that you've never owned or seriously shot Ruger rifles.....

Several people will not like this rifle, as voiced by others in this thread. Others like myself will give it a serious look and may end up buying one.

It's a bolt action with foward mounted scope so you can use stripper clips (but it does not accept stripper clips)Like he said, both eyes open. And if you are concerned, you can contact Brockman Gunsmithing in Idaho. He make a rear sight with a stripper clip guide attached.
It's a bolt action so it will be more accurate than a semi-auto. (dubious at best, especialy since it is an investment cast reciever and barrel)Think before typing. First, Ruger's investment casting is the best in the business. The receivers are very good. The barrels are very good as well. And I'm pretty sure that casting a barrel would be a bad idea...
It has a ten round magazine so it will,,,,,shoot as fast as a semi, lay down suppresive fire? Whatever! A DM Savage will do the same for half the price. (stripper clips do the same, far cheaper, in a milled steel rifle.) It occurs to me that several years ago, a man with a bolt action rifle managed to hold off a bunch of LEO's in Alaska and managed to kill several before being shot from several hundred yards from a helicopter. Lesson? A bolt action in the right hands can be devistating if used effectively. *Upon further reflection (See Google, it was referred to as the Manley Hot Springs shootout. Seven murders and then an Alaska State Trooper before being killed by another trooper from a helicopter.
It has a Muzzel break/Flash hider because,,,why? (it's not even a Good MB, it will kick-up dirt when shooting prone.) In your defense, I also had to check, but the barrel is threaded, so this can be changed to one not quite so useless.
Fancy laminated stock? (ATAS) No clue what ATAS means, but at the very least, the stock will be environmentally stable. Don't like it? Put on a synthetic one.
Detachable mags (cheap detachable mags? Not from Ruger!) Cheap? Probably not, but at least they're making magazines for the public again. I still remember the says of nothing more than five round factory mini-14 mags...
Reasonably priced (about as reasonable as an SR-25)[/QUOTE] With an MSRP of about $1000, the street price should be around $750 or so. That's not bad considering their standard rifles are $600 or so and there's more machining that goes into this rifle...

Hate to be argumentative, but your post had flaws (not to mention bad spelling. Just FYI, the red underlining when you type means you need to consult your dictionary) Oh, and Happy New Year to everyone...

I do like the idea of a bolt action with a 10 round magazine. It seems more versatile than a fixed 5 round mag. The fact that it has the option of 5 or 10 is even better. I do agree that the price is a little steep but I am not surprised given the current state of pricing across the board.

To me its a little like cars.
I would bet that most of us here have lusted after an automobile that was not outstanding in any specific performance catagory but for some reason it still spoke to us. Same with some guns. This rifle may not be all that for some, but is attractive to others.
Without having held it or seen it close up, it still interests me.

Once again ruger has missed the mark.

1. Minimum barrel length should be around 17.3" on a .308

2. They already had a scout rifle but discontiued it.

3. They have the R&D to develop something brand new, how about a bolt action .308 that takes the SR-25 magazines!

SF-

I can't believe they are getting at this first (Commercially I mean.)
There are some companies who do make similar things but lack advertising.

What I want is similar to the AIA enfield. Sadly, only the Canadians and Aussies can get it.
I guess if I had the time and resources I would attempt my own conversion..
Come on, ANY rifle that would accept M14 mags and would be affordable to the general public would be a total hit! Same with rifles that accept AKM mags.
(Other than the AKM of course)

So far this is my favorite comment on the gun. Comes from another board.
Its not quite a target gun, but its not quite a hunting gun. Its not close to being a semi auto battle rifle, and its not really a home defense gun at all. Its not a plinker, but its not a long range gun. Its not an inexpensive gun for the masses, but its not really a high end gun either. Tacticool factor is low. Looks like an assemblage of spare parts from the discount bin.

In short, its a Bill Ruger dream gun.

Ruger - proof that with enuf effort, you can make something that really does nothing.

I saw the trailer for a movie called "Not quite a Gentleman"

They go to the basement to buy guns,the guy goes through the brands,H&K,Glock,Sig,Baretta, Ruger...

WTF is this a flea market?:D

Why does this rifle come with a single stack magazine? Has Ruger been having trouble with all of their double stack mags in other firearms? Makes NO sense to me but we'll see.

I don't think it is a single stack. I'll bet it's staggered like the internal magazines are. I believe if it was a single stack, it would be a fair bit longer.

The mags are apparently made by Accuracy International. I have heard rumors that Ruger is developing their own polymer magazines, which will hopefully be cheaper...

According to the Chip Monk Family Survival Podcast this rifle does come with a SINGLE stack magazine. I think this is to prevent after market manufacturers from making 20 or 30 round magazines. One more example of Ruger dropping the ball! They have blown many opportunities to provide Survival friendly equipment!

Not for me, this unit wont fill any nitch that I have a void to fill. As far as all that BS about rugers sucking and how they always will, well that sounds to me like someone that blames his tool for a bad finish job, so to speak.
When it comes to reliability, I have many AR platforms and also several mini 30's and 14,s and have put them through several endurance tests,, just to see which failed to fire, or jammed when put through the blues. True, they are not as accurate beyond 200 yds, but when were talking about a weapon that can be drug through, over, under and around any environment on the planet, I would have no qualms reaching for the all weather .14 or the .30. But to be honest,, the one go to unit is still the ugly black Gallil sitting in the rack!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top