JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I just got an e-mail from Ruger about this gun. Looks like a ton O fun to me! Since they also offer 5 round mags, it will be useful for hunting, too.

I love this gun already. I don't know about loving the $995 price tag, but maybe for around $700-$800ish range.
It's about time some of these guys start making Springfield knock offs at a price I can afford. They should make a semi auto version as well as a lefty model.
But I like it.

Hmmmm. A short barrel bolt action 308 with a 10 round mag.

I'll stick with the long barreled semi auto 30-06 with the 8 round clip (besides at a buck each clips cost way less then Mags I already have 30 of them)

Hmmmm. A short barrel bolt action 308 with a 10 round mag.

I'll stick with the long barreled semi auto 30-06 with the 8 round clip (besides at a buck each clips cost way less then Mags I already have 30 of them)

Have one of those as well :), but still like the concept. A man can do a lot of damage with a bolt action rifle. And if you are trying to blend in some where, a hunting rifle doesn't stand out so much. Especially with a flush 5 roud mag and a few 10 rounders in the back pocket...

So far this is my favorite comment on the gun. Comes from another board.

Its not quite a target gun, but its not quite a hunting gun. Its not close to being a semi auto battle rifle, and its not really a home defense gun at all. Its not a plinker, but its not a long range gun. Its not an inexpensive gun for the masses, but its not really a high end gun either. Tacticool factor is low. Looks like an assemblage of spare parts from the discount bin.

In short, its a Bill Ruger dream gun.

Ruger - proof that with enuf effort, you can make something that really does nothing.

So far this is my favorite comment on the gun. Comes from another board.

EXACTLY. This gun serves NO PURPOSE. A 10 rd mag on a bolt gun...why? Flash hider, tactical rail and....a stylish laminate stock....WHY????.

By the way, the promo pic is a photoshop hack job. Ruger has always, and will continue to, suck major ***.

Seems cool at first glance, but to me, the question is why? This seems to be a gun to try to fill every niche. It doesn't for the though. If I want a short, compact, rifle, I have an AR that'll do that, and hold 30 rounds, not 10, and fires semi auto, and I can mount a scope "scout" on my rail system, and there's a ton of accessories, and mags are dirt cheap. It doesn't seem accurate enough to fill the "long range bolt gun" niche. If I want a gun that's not semi auto, holds a few rounds (more than 5), and I can hunt with, I'd buy a lever action over this. Just my 2 cents.

I wouldn't necessarily say Ruger sucks, they just don't build much to get excited over. The mini 14 is fun but reliable factory mags are expensive, and all my AR's have out shot the mini I once owned. Mini 30's aren't reliable. Their auto pistols are heavy and clunky but reliable (working at a gun range, never saw one break ever, and I saw a lot of Sig's, Beretta's, 1911's, etc., in the "broke, send to gunsmith" box. I loved the Redhawk I owned, but the trigger wasn't great. Their single action stuff I really like, just not my thing these days. Their bolt action rifles are ok for the money, but as a gunsmith friend told me, they must use the cheapest barrels they can find.

SCOUT rifle.
ok sure.
Doesn't say target rifle
doesn't say assault rifle
doesn't say sniper rifle
doesn't say home defense rifle
doesn't say uber ninja rifle.
Iunno.

As for mini 30's not being reliable..... mine always have been. besides mag issues of course. And I can buy factory hi cap mags now. And the new ones are more accurate than the old ones.

i think i get it...

it's a cheap alternative to high capacity semi-auto .308- which are all a minimum of $1400 to $5500.

then there's the ruger "scout," offering higher than 5 capacity, for probably $850ish, once it's hanging on dealers' walls.

The Ruger site suggests that Bi-Marts will be carrying them! Hopefully soon.
I will happily examine one up close before making a purchase decision.
Every Ruger firearm that I have ever shot and/or owned has been incredibly
reliable and cost effective.

There will be many parts available for customizing this scout rifle if the current
market is any example. Ruger may be on to something here.

-sbc

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top