JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
That is really nice that it accepts PMAG's. But does it use a standard AR style trigger? Can third party AR triggers be installed in it? That is not clear to me, from viewing the video.

It would appear that it does not, since the spokesman did not mention it when he spoke about compatibility. Although if the factory trigger is good, then this would be a rather moot point.

Lol actually my wife has a call into Ruger asking them for prices for a .243 barrel and a 6.5 barrel, now that I see how they install the barrel. Very similar to Savage!

This rifle in .243 could be a rockchuck's, jackrabbit's, or coyote's worst nightmare!

However, I see that it has been optimized for shooting real heavy target bullets. 1:7.7 twist is awfully tight. So it is definitely optimized to be a long range target rifle, and not a hunting rifle.

Nope it uses something different when it comes to triggers! But its adjustable... And yah mags....my favorite is. you can also us M1A/M14 mags!

I've never told the Deer or Elk I've shot that I have actually shot them with a target rifle...They didn't care!

Ruger trigger2.jpg

I looked up Oxymoron in 'my' own personal dictionary . It read Ruger with Precision in same sentence .

Well, I think that the Mini-14 did a lot to damage Ruger's overall reputation for accuracy.

However, it would not be fair to judge all Ruger firearms, just because they made an inaccurate rifle. And from what I've heard, even the Mini-14 is now shooting pretty well with recent production rifles.

A guy at the range today had the 6.5 version and it was really nice. He was getting sub-moa @ 200 yards and today was his first time trying it out.

I can't wait for them to become more available as I'd really like one.

I have heard from a coworker who shoots with a competition long range guy that these rifles are not accurate. I have found however in my experience though that it often falls down to the operator interface and whether they have the headspace and timing to shoot the rifle accurately.

And my guess is that the definition of what "accurate" is to a long range competition shooter would vary some from what many would call "accurate."

I like that these kinds of rifles are getting less expensive to own, and you can get good mass produced match ammo to work well in them and shoot in 1/2 MOA, and the magazines don't cost 80 bucks apiece.

And with it's modular AR15 style design, my guess is that these rifles would be easy to re-barrel with something from companies that make super accurate AR15 rifles, so upgrading them is a possibility as well.

"Accurate" enough.

Accuracy is actually the wrong word; accuracy is hitting what you are aiming at.

Precision means a small group even if it is off target.

Precision will facilitate accuracy, but to be accurate, the scope has to be sighted in, the distance to the target has to be known, the wind has to be accounted for, and the human has to hold the firearm steady and on target.

I got a good deal on a Trjicon 4x16- 50 Accu Power so I bought the Ruger in 243 with the 26" barrel. I pl;an to change out a few things on the rifle and put a decent bipod on it. Might turn out to be a fairly accurate shooter I'm hopin.

The shooters on the long range forums are very positive on these with a few doing well in competition. It won't be long until after market barrels and triggers will make these serious competitors. I'm definitely going to get one in 6.5 CM.

I don't care what the rifle looks like or whose name is on it - I just want results and functionality. The "tactical" chassis may not be pretty, but a pistol grip is much more ergonomic and it makes sense to use the AR standard for variety. It won't happen, but I'd sure like to see this in a long action. Ruger's intent with the RPR is an entry level match rifle, which is why they will stick to the short action.

Personally, I think Ruger hit the nail on the head with this rifle and I expect to see other manufacturers follow suit.

Also agree with accuracy and precision comments above.

Are you guys in the Valley finding these rifles in stores? They are unobtanium on this side of the state.

I picked mine up at Cabelas. I went in a couple of weeks ago, they had a 243 on the rack. I asked about the 308, was told more were coming soon. I got a call Monday that the 308 was in store and picked it up on Friday.
I got some money knocked off with Labor day sale, military discount and Cabelas points.
20150905_090302.jpg

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top