JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I dont think l have had a Ruger that was inaccurate. Most of my Rugers have been hunting rifles. For hunting accuray under an inch is good enough for me. My Sr556 does much better so if it has that type of accuracy I will get one. Been seriously looking at 18-20" ar's but this seems to be a better deal. After all is said and done about 1700 for it completely set up to my needs. Any thoughts on this compared to a heavy barreled FNAR for 600 - 700 accuracy - they are about the same price.

James you were reading my thoughts! I was comparing this new Ruger the the FN this morning. The FN is a good rifle but it has its downside. The FN is an aluminum receiver Browning BAR that they put a pistol grip on and a magazine housing. I bought a FN when they first came out. Nice, smooth cycling rifle. Its accurate out at 500 yards. (farthest I shot mine). But I had issues with the chamber being to tight for several factory loads. And the gas adjustment screw was difficult to access on the gas block. And then when adjusted I had to reapply Loctite and figure out where the screw position was.
After 500 rounds thru it I started to notice wear on the interior of the receiver. So I sent it in to FN, they replace the receiver. When it came back I did not fire it, just sold it!

James you were reading my thoughts! I was comparing this new Ruger the the FN this morning. The FN is a good rifle but it has its downside. The FN is an aluminum receiver Browning BAR that they put a pistol grip on and a magazine housing. I bought a FN when they first came out. Nice, smooth cycling rifle. Its accurate out at 500 yards. (farthest I shot mine). But I had issues with the chamber being to tight for several factory loads. And the gas adjustment screw was difficult to access on the gas block. And then when adjusted I had to reapply Loctite and figure out where the screw position was.
After 500 rounds thru it I started to notice wear on the interior of the receiver. So I sent it in to FN, they replace the receiver. When it came back I did not fire it, just sold it!
Vezley thanks for the info. The one thing that I also think this River has over the FNAR is ease of cleaning. I have worked on some guns that latterly took four hands to reassemble and the FNAR as I hear is similar
Guess this Ruger wins out

Seems to me like Justshoot is regurgitating old, out of date "info". Fyi, Ruger has been hammer forging it's own barrels since before it introduced the 77 MKII in 1989 or there abouts and they are damn accurate. Especially for a CRF action. Don't like the trigger? Compare it to any other production rifle made during the same time frame.
Those points are invalid.

I'm "behind the 8 ball" on money for gun purchases right now due to other demands. (racecar) But once things settle down I'll be looking for one of these rifles, preferably in 308. I would admit that the 6.5 is probably a better long range choice, but I am a 30 cal fan. Might even pull the best scope I have off of my '06.

Looking forward to actually putting my hands on one of these rifles.

Dude, I have a .308 Ruger American and it can do -MOA/MOA (using Remington 150gr. Cor-Lokt at that). You truly have to do your part, and the rifle will punch it.

+1

I've been shooting center fire rifle for three years - started with a Ruger American in .308.

Other than my 10fcp I have very little to compare the American against, but it's hard to imagine a smoother bolt or better trigger for $350.

And mine will absolutely do sub moa.

I hunt with a Ruger M77R in 30-06 (its like 40 years old now) and its easy MOA with my reloads.

I hunt dogs with a Savage Model 12 VLP DBM (now called the 12 Varmint Low Profile)in .243 and its 1/2MOA all day long with my reloads and breaks .75 MOA with quality factory ammo (100gr slugs)

I got no hate for any good rifle platform. But I do like a good looking rifle and sorry but the Ruger shown is just not my cup of tea.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top