JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Took way longer than expected but yeah, new mag and follower for lcp gen 2. I think it's only the follower that's different so it locks back after the mag is empty but don't have a gen 1 so I cant try to just swap the follower to see If a gen 1 with a gen 2 2 follower would work normally while saving some

Careful on the terminology. A Gen II LCP is not the same as an LCP II. I'm curious as well about swapping followers. So far it sounds like the Gen 1 or Gen 2 magazine will work in an LCP II but not lock the slide back. And using an LCP II follower in a Gen 1 or 2 will not lock the slide back either.

Careful on the terminology. A Gen II LCP is not the same as an LCP II. I'm curious as well about swapping followers. So far it sounds like the Gen 1 or Gen 2 magazine will work in an LCP II but not lock the slide back. And using an LCP II follower in a Gen 1 or 2 will not lock the slide back either.

ok, got off the phone with Ruger. The difference is actually the follower according to the guy I spoke with. The LCP II along with the LCP (Original mag) was said that they will work but its the slide stop/magazine follower that kept the slide open. Ordered a few more mags just in case but hopefully the followers alone follow quickly.

The original LCP mags will work EXCEPT for the factory extended mag. The bottom plate is too different. They will not, as stated lock the slide back.

I just shot my new LCP II today and intended to try a regular LCP (Well my old ones are both Gen 2 LCP) but I just grabbed a loaded 'Pro Mag' instead of a factory Ruger. Major fail! I had it loaded with Hornaday carry ammo and round one was great and it somehow fired round two also even though I don't thing the follower budged the entire sequence it looked like the next rounds were two rounds down, I had to shake the remaining rounds out and put them in the factory LCP II magazine. Bang, Bang, Bang, Bang four it a row. I primarily shot Fiocchi and PMC today and the LCP II ate them all. Those Fiocchi are really better left to larger guns though. not much difference in specifications, but way different in feel....I'm now more of a PMC for practice guy.
Another day and I will try a older LCP Factory mag in the LCP II.

I just shot my new LCP II today and intended to try a regular LCP (Well my old ones are both Gen 2 LCP) but I just grabbed a loaded 'Pro Mag' instead of a factory Ruger. Major fail! I had it loaded with Hornaday carry ammo and round one was great and it somehow fired round two also even though I don't thing the follower budged the entire sequence it looked like the next rounds were two rounds down, I had to shake the remaining rounds out and put them in the factory LCP II magazine. Bang, Bang, Bang, Bang four it a row. I primarily shot Fiocchi and PMC today and the LCP II ate them all. Those Fiocchi are really better left to larger guns though. not much difference in specifications, but way different in feel....I'm now more of a PMC for practice guy.
Another day and I will try a older LCP Factory mag in the LCP II.

Promags fit great in the gun but feed horrifically for some reason. The other day I was at the range and my 9E OEM mags shot fine but the Promag 9E mags would get multiple FTL's.

I had had god luck with them before in the LCP, but that was then and this carry ammo had been in it for a year. I have real issues with Pro Mag and 30 M1 Carbine'

so the lcp mags will work in the lcp2 but the slide wont lock back.

what about the lcp2 mag in my lcp custom? will it lock the slide bacK....?

OR is what is being said is to swap in the lcp2 follower and my lcp custom will now lock back?

Promags fit great in the gun but feed horrifically for some reason. The other day I was at the range and my 9E OEM mags shot fine but the Promag 9E mags would get multiple FTL's.
Promags have always been hit and miss. Often one that works in one gun will not work in another. Often you can buy several and one of them will not work in your gun. It is why I just avoid them. If they are all you have or can get, they can often be made to work. If you have an OEM mag that works you can often "adjust" the Promag to work. Can be a PITA though as it takes a lot of trial and error some times.

so the lcp mags will work in the lcp2 but the slide wont lock back.

what about the lcp2 mag in my lcp custom? will it lock the slide bacK....?

OR is what is being said is to swap in the lcp2 follower and my lcp custom will now lock back?

It has been reported that the LCPII mag and/or follower will not lock the slide back in a Gen1 or Gen2 LCP because the slide lock lever (not sure of the correct term) is different. Just looking at photos it appears putting an LCP II slide lock in an LCP would require some modification to the frame to make room for it.

LCPvsLCPII.jpg

Last Edited:
I am going to start carrying the LCP II as a backup just as I did the LCP Custom, it appears that my Bianchi LCP holster still works with the new gun and that is better than the supplied holster.

wifes EDC is an lcp custom. we added a hogue grip and polished a lot of internals that were bearing surfaces or contacting other parts during operation including the feed ramp/chamber, guide rod, breech face(very very very carefully), the hammer, and the underside of the slide where it contects the next bullet in the magazine.

before the purchase i read a lot of reviews on the lcp and the lcp gen2 (not to be confused with the lcp2) about cycling issues FTFeed/ FTE. what i noticed first on this gun is how steep the feed ramp is which "could" cause issues with hollow points IMO.

heres what i did:
i cycled the slide 500 times before shooting the gun then put 300 rounds of fiocchi (cheap and surprisingly hot) and 40 rounds of hornady critical defense thru it with no issues whatsoever.

i am completely confident she will not have a problem with this gun. she has not shot it but, her other pistol is an lcp9s pro and she is very comfortable with it.

not trying to hijack the thread OP! just wanted to share my experiences with these awesome little carry pieces!

Okay my order of merit ratings of Comfort, Accuracy and Favoritism of 380 pocket pistols I own. If not listed, it's because I don't own it. Not scientific but I did try a shoot off using the same ammo choices a few months ago and I have added the LCP II and more recent shooting with some of the guns.

Comfort, ........ ........... Accuracy, ............ ........... Favored
1. Colt Mustang XSP, ....Kahr CW-380 ......... ......... Colt Mustang XSP
2. Glock 42 .................Glock 42, .............. .......... Glock 42
3. S&W 380 Sigma, ......Ruger LCP II, ........... ....... Ruger LCP II
4. Kahr CW-380, ..... ....Ruger LCP Custom, ..... ..... Ruger LCP Custom
5. Ruger LCP II,........ .. Ruger LCP, ............. ........ Kahr CW-380
6. Ruger LCP Custom, .. Colt Mustang XSP, ........... Ruger LCP
7. Ruger LCP, ........ .... Remington RM-380, .......... Remington RM-380
8. Remington RM-380, . S&W 380 Sigma, .............. S&W 380 Sigma

So the old S&W ('87 or '88) is rated last with it's channel sights, long notchy trigger pull, large out of proportion slide. It is still accurate enough and very reliable. Had it since new, no one really wants one but too good to throw away

Oops posted before I was really done. I have not yet given the RM-380 a fair shake. The easiest to rack. I need to shoot it when I'm fresh. The Kahr is down my list right now, not because its so picky with ammo (Which it is) but because I have misplaced the spare magazine. (I know what ammo it likes and I'll find that spare soon) I don't carry the Colt out of the house anymore as it is similar to a 1911 in carrying cocked and locked, but that lock does not lock the slide. I don't carry the Glock because it is vying for biggest pocket pistol along with that Sigma. I expect the LCP II or the Kahr will be my EDC backups for some time to come