JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Kahr Arms recommends that a 200-round breakin with your chosen carry load be done before assuming the pistol is reliable! ...

I'm not sure that's accurate, I think you're mixing up two different recommendations. There is a recommended break-in period, but this needn't be your carry ammo of choice. The Kahr manual also suggests firing 100 rounds of your preferred carry ammo, not to break in the gun, but just to assure the ammo functions reliably in the gun. This isn't something specific/unique to the Kahr, it's just common sense.

In any case, I'd choose any Kahr over the LC9, hands down.

Thanks for the clarification; you are correct. I was responding to the OP's question and got carried away. I too prefer the Kahr pistols, and really liked the first generation one I had. I look forward to the more affordable CM-9 series that is coming........................elsullo

I'm not sure that's accurate, I think you're mixing up two different recommendations. There is a recommended break-in period, but this needn't be your carry ammo of choice. The Kahr manual also suggests firing 100 rounds of your preferred carry ammo, not to break in the gun, but just to assure the ammo functions reliably in the gun. This isn't something specific/unique to the Kahr, it's just common sense.

In any case, I'd choose any Kahr over the LC9, hands down.

I returned home and called Ruger. I got to the right guy without much of a delay. I explained my problem and within minutes had a UPS return authorization from Ruger. I got the pistol back on June 3, with a detailed list of the repairs made. They had installed a new slide and firing pin. Also noted was that the pistol had been test fired with 150 rounds of various ammo (50 rnds Black Hills, 50 rnds CCI & 50 rnds Winchester) without any malfunctions.

It will be interesting to see of others are having similar problems.

My question is how many more rounds will I need to put through this pistol before I feel safe carrying it for self defense?

Wow, that sucks having to go through that. I bought the LC9 and had no such problems. This is supposed to be a shooter and durable. But you've got a justified question going through that experience. I would be asking the same question.

Best thing I can tell you is that this pistol does take some practice to get the holes where you want at 25 yards. Shooting a couple hundred rounds at the range would be advisable whether you had the malfunctions or not. If that pistol can run through 150 rounds without cleaning and eat them flawlessly, I'd say you're good to go. Then again, I want to see those 150 rounds shot myself, by myself. Not relying on the good folks at Ruger.

Still, the customer service seems rather responsive by your account.

Honestly, I really like this pistol. I can understand why some folks don't like the mag out safety, but I don't understand the objections to the slide safety. It really is hard to put it on and very easy to "wipe" off. And you don't have to use it if you don't want to. I'm very used to slide safeties with a long experience with SA 1911s.