JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I got a chance to load up some ammo and get to the bench this afternoon with the Ruger Predator 308.
I think I'm going to like this rifle.
This rifle has plastic spacers to adjust the length of pull. It came from the factory with one spacer installed and two additional 1/2" spacers in the box. I'm 6'04" tall and found adding one additional spacer to the factory set up fit me nicely. While possibly not the best looking set up it certainly makes the rifle versatile for all sizes of shooters.
I mounted a Burris Fullfield ll 3-9 scope last night. I've got a few Burris scopes and while my eyesight is not good, to me the Fullfield seem to be as clear as the Signature line.
The two stage trigger will take some getting used to. A target shooter might want it to be just a bit lighter but for a hunting rifle I think it will work just fine as set from the factory.
The action isn't the smoothest at this point but again as a hunting rifle if I do my part I only need to get the first one in the chamber.
I loaded up some Nosler 165 grain BT factory 2nds in front of a good dose of Varget powder and headed to the bench.

I put four shots through at 25 yards to get on paper and then moved to 100.
The first shot was on paper low left so after a substantial adjustment I got close enough to fire three for a group. With a moderately warm barrel the first two were nearly touching and the third moved out nearly 1 1/2 inches. This could be the load, the shooter or the rifle but I would not hesitate to hunt with this tomorrow as my shots are generally under 200 yards.
This is my first experience with the 308 cartridge. I found d the report and kick to be very mild and I think this combo would fit the bill nicely for a young or first time shooter.
All in all a very good experience for the first try.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1437781229.416612.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1437781250.883844.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1437781268.721647.jpg

While I can appreciate the spacer arrangement for LOP, I really do not like the look of it.
Sorry, just doesn't do it for me.
Other than that, I'll tell you the 77 MKII and Hawkeye rifles are excellent rifles, and that's not considering
"for the money". I'll take a Hawkeye or MKII over about any production rifle made. I had a Hawkeye, known as the African in 375 Ruger and was very pleased with the gun. The trigger was just a little heavier than I would have preferred. The Hawkeye has the LC6 trigger and it's decent, but I have Timney triggers in our 77 MKIIs, which are adjustable and I absolutely love them. I don't know if Timney makes one for the Hawkeyes yet, but if they don't, a lighter spring would be on my list.
Also, for some reason I have noticed that the short action 77 and Hawkeyes are not as smooth as the long action rifles. Add some grease to the top of the bolt. It seems as they are binding on the top of the action when returning to battery. Or, make sure you apply slight downward pressure to the bolt handle when closing the bolt.
Have fun with this gun. It will treat you well.

I agree the spacers aren't helping how this rifle looks. It seems the more you add to it the worse it gets. There is an option to buy without spacers however, or could leave them off.
In reality they do help make the gun feel like it fits me without the cost of having to go the custom route.

I agree the spacers aren't helping how this rifle looks. It seems the more you add to it the worse it gets. There is an option to buy without spacers however, or could leave them off.
In reality they do help make the gun feel like it fits me without the cost of having to go the custom route.
Understood. Since you like a longer length of pull, you could always look at aftermarket stocks. I have a Hogue on my 77 MKII. At first I had a full length bedding block style, but now have a pillar bedded style. The bedding block style is a bit heavier, but I love the feel, recoil pad and length of pull of the Hogue stocks. I put one on a friends Savage and he likes it as much as I do.
Something to consider.