JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Well, I was doin some homework on black an ugly guns, and decided to find a FN AR in .308... and did. Paid a LOT less than the predicted $1700 street price, delivered and transfered, brand new in box. Pretty pleased with it.... now if I could only find some fodder to feed it at a reasonable price.... looking over this new Ruger, it seems to me the FN is a far better gun, or at least some better, far more powerful, perhaps not quite as lightweight and handy, and for a LOT less money..... even the normal street price of high-1400's is less than the predicted street price of this new Ruger piece..... 'Glad I found the FN when I did..... and at that price. It makes the Ruger not quite so attractive. Now I am wondering what black an ugly in .223 I should go for... was thinking of the Ruger Mini 14, but after what I've been hearing lately, maybe not.......?

Been looking around the web and I can't find anywhere that it says that it will be fully compatible with the AR. maybe I'm just over looking it. It does seem pretty spendy for just another clone. As far as the mini 14, I have had one for years and love it. I think Ruger should just stick with it and not even bother with the AR clone. Like many others have said for that kind of money I would go with an established brand in that market.

As for the Mini 14 I've had one for several years now and it does serve it's purpose as a true 'ranch rifle'. Teflon coated OD green and a short heavy barrel with beat up factory birch stock... they aren't and I don't think will be, target rifles. My mini has been beaten, battered, and bruised yet still able to dispatch wandering coyotes and what have you.
The piston system in an AR15 (IMHO) shows a bit more of a kick when fired, and it's harder for me to get back on target quickly. Grouping was better than the Mini for sure, but I think that Ruger is trying to show their 'durability'. Capitalizing on "You get what you pay for" it's still hard to spend $2k on another AR when they can be had from proven manufacturers for much cheaper.
Just my .02

Just left the Gunbroker in Tigard and saw the first SR 556 that came into stock. Nice weapon overall. Good finish tight fit. Some of the roll pins looked banged up but overall good. The flash hider is like those on the old Mini 14 GB's, no flat spots on the sides for a wrench. Priced at about $1650.00, not bad as far as piston guns go.

Now if one of you nice gentlemen or ladies would be so kind as to invite me along to the range when you go to shoot your new SR 556 I'll write a review about the performance. :D;)

Well, I was doin some homework on black an ugly guns, and decided to find a FN AR in .308... and did. Paid a LOT less than the predicted $1700 street price, delivered and transfered, brand new in box. Pretty pleased with it.... now if I could only find some fodder to feed it at a reasonable price.... looking over this new Ruger, it seems to me the FN is a far better gun, or at least some better, far more powerful, perhaps not quite as lightweight and handy, and for a LOT less money..... even the normal street price of high-1400's is less than the predicted street price of this new Ruger piece..... 'Glad I found the FN when I did..... and at that price. It makes the Ruger not quite so attractive. Now I am wondering what black an ugly in .223 I should go for... was thinking of the Ruger Mini 14, but after what I've been hearing lately, maybe not.......?

I thought about one of those too, but didn't like the idea that I would need to send it in to FN every 1000 rounds are so to clean. Apparently FN doesn't recommend user disassembly of that particular rifle. That, and FN doesn't sell parts.

I thought about one of those too, but didn't like the idea that I would need to send it in to FN every 1000 rounds are so to clean. Apparently FN doesn't recommend user disassembly of that particular rifle. That, and FN doesn't sell parts.

Is this true? That seems like gun control in an underhanded way. Keeps track of all their guns....

Is this true? That seems like gun control in an underhanded way. Keeps track of all their guns....

No. It's BS. Like any other manufacturer they recommend that you field strip it to clean it, but NOT to detail strip it. Instead of the usual "submit to Glock/HK armorer" they recommend you send it to FNH USA.

That's all it is.

From the FNAR manual:
NOTICE! Do not TAKE YOUR firearm’s ACTION APART
beyond what is explained in this owner’s manual .
This is a specialized, finely fitted mechanism; any
attempt to disassemble the inner mechanism may
damage it for life. It is unnecessary, and may do
damage to the inner mechanism to disassemble it
for routine cleaning and oiling. Of course,
misfortunes (such as dropping your firearm in
water) require appropriate attention, and in such
circumstances we recommend you immediately take
your firearm to a qualified gunsmith.

There was a second review on the FNAR in Shotgun News about two months or so ago. From what the article stated, FN indicated that user disassembly should be avoided, and the rifle to be returned to FN for maintenance after every thousand rounds or so. That was one of the criticisms of the rifle.

I looked at an SR-556 recently, and I was impressed by how solidly built it was. The price on the street is floating around $1550, but you get three 30 round mags, a huge rail system, and a soft case with it. It felt very solidly made, unlike some AR's I've looked at. The piston system suggests fewer cleaning hassles than other AR-15s. I like it and think the price point is about right.

If I wanted a .223 I'd just convince TREEMANX to buy my Colt back and I'd go buy that Ruger in a heartbeat! I wrapped my mitts around one of those Rugers a few weeks ago and as far as AR style rifles go, I liked it. (just not my kind of rifle)

But I've never been disappointed with any Ruger I've bought. New or used. Ever. :s0155:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top