Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

New Ruger American Rimfire in 22LR and 22WMR 22" or Compact 18" Models - $236 and up

Discussion in 'Slickguns.com' started by slickguns, Aug 30, 2013.

1. slickguns

slickguns www.slickguns.com Silver Vendor Silver Vendor

2. PDXSparky

PDXSparky Keizer / Hillsboro Well-Known Member

I'd buy one of these in a heart beat IF I could get one with a threaded barrel.

3. jluck

jluck Really,Really, Close to Newport Oregon 97365 Voted #1 Member

Have one threaded? Be the first.

4. Keane

Keane Hillsboro, OR Active Member

I just picked up one of the 22 inch models (the shop also had a compact in stock) for $275 (same as the best you could do on the slickguns deal after transfer). It is a pretty sweet action and well built. The only thing I have against it is the lack of a threaded barrel. I'll have it done I think, but I like the stock front sight, and it would suck to lose it.

5. PDXSparky

Which shop was that?

6. Keane

Willamette Valley Arms. I think they got 2 of each in, I bought the first one last night.

7. jluck

What is the importance of the threaded barrel on a bolt gun like this? I think if someone really needed it for another 50-100 bucks a guy could have a barrel threaded and front sight moved back. Really elementary stuff for a smith.

8. Keane

Finding a good, reliable smith who knows how to do proper threading at a reasonable price and that won't take forever is easier said than done. So you end up giving up SOMETHING, like the ability to move the sight, or waiting a rediculous amount of time (see Tornado Tech).

9. jluck

Fair enough. It sounds like good smiths are harder to find in the bigger city's. I have had good luck in my time. Second question, Why on a rifle like this would a person need a threaded barrel? Flash hider, Suppressor? (I would think only a very tiny fraction of a percent would ever see a suppressor), And those type would make a threaded barrel happen. I would.

Give it a month and the super duper tactical model will be out I'm sure.

10. Keane

Suppressors are popular these days :) I've got one in .22 and would love to use it on this rifle. It makes my 10/22 extremely quiet, and would make this guy fun as well.

Suppressors are surprisingly popular on this board, an amazing number of people here own them, so getting a weapon to come pre-threaded is a good thing!

11. PDXSparky

This. That's what I'm looking for. A .22lr bolt action rifle with a threaded barrel for a suppressor. Getting a Ruger that takes 10/22 magazines would be great. Bolt action is quieter than a semi-auto. I'd rather buy an older 77/22 because the barrel is interchangeable with a 10/22. The newer versions have barrels that thread into the receiver.

Once reputable smiths have listed prices for a threading job on the new ruger .22, then maybe I'll get one.

In the mean time, I'll keep looking for the elusive Savage FV-SR