JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I've owned a couple AKs in the past and kinda had the itch to get another. So I stopped at one of our local shops today and saw this gently used beauty. It's a Century Arms (I know, I know) AES-10B RPK. It is a genuine RPK made at the Cugir factory in Romania. Not one of these pieced together atrocities that came out on the market years prior to this one. (Heavy Bbl, thicker receiver, proper bi-pod etc.)

The fit and finish is what you'd expect from an AK variant. It's a whole lot tighter than the WASR-10's anyway. I haven't shot it yet, but after the Garand Match this weekend I'm hoping to run a couple hundred rounds through it. Then my project next week is to refinish the wood.

Any RPK owners in the house? I'd be curious to know how the club butt stock comes off. On all AKs I've owned in the past there was a hole under the cover that you could pry the wood out once the screws have been removed. No such luck with a rubber mallet either.

View attachment 183555

View attachment 183557

View attachment 183554

View attachment 183556

It is Romanian but it does have some American parts to make it compliant. For instance the fire control system (hammer, trigger etc) and the grip are all made by Tapco, the threaded bbl is welded over, etc., etc. Similar to what you'd find any any other import. Other than that, it's an all numbers-matching rifle.

Very nice :) . I've been considering one. Is this 100% Romanian or a parts kit build ? I thought with the high capacity that it had to be 922r compliant.

Keith

Any RPK owners in the house? I'd be curious to know how the club butt stock comes off. On all AKs I've owned in the past there was a hole under the cover that you could pry the wood out once the screws have been removed. No such luck with a rubber mallet either.
View attachment 183494

Could you post photo's of the inside of the rifle? I have an RPK but it is a milled receiver from Arsenal and I am sure it is different than your Romanian.

SF-

View attachment 183491

Looks just like my PSL stock, shape a chunk of scrap wood like the underside of the butt, apply rubber mallet horizontally.

Edit; one side of the scrap wood to the butt contour(heh), with the other being a flat plane to hammer on.

Ever removed internals from an AK?

My way is to remove the safety, the pistol grip (really need the PG nut gone) and use a wooden extension (chunk of broom handle maybe?) and hammer it out from the inside. Need more room? Then remove the trigger assembly and hammer. That rear trunnion is one heavy mother.

Keep us posted.

SF-

LOL... it looks like a pack of field mice have been living in that receiver!! ;)

Best part is, since it's an AK at heart... you could have 2 packs of field mice living in it and it will still go bang. :)

I finally got it out to the range today and am totally in love!! I can't remember the last time I had this much fun shooting a firearm.

Best part is, since it's an AK at heart... you could have 2 packs of field mice living in it and it will still go bang. :)

I finally got it out to the range today and am totally in love!! I can't remember the last time I had this much fun shooting a firearm.

Yeah just imagine the tiny lady bug living in an AR shutting that thing down ;)

Any updates with getting your stock done?

SF=

Yeah just imagine the tiny lady bug living in an AR shutting that thing down ;)

Any updates with getting your stock done?

SF=

For the life of me I could not get the club stock off. I tried just about every tip I could find except for heating it up. (Maybe next weekend.)
In the meantime I left it in place and stained it with USSR (Ultimate Service Stain for Rifles) Followed by three coats of Tru-Oil.
It's not what I had in mind but it's a big improvement imho.

View attachment 183155

View attachment 183154

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top