JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I just picked up a new WASR 10 from Crossroad Arms that is stamped GP/WASR 10/63 on the receiver and it has the Romanian Military (RomArm/Cugir) triangle w/arrow stamped on the trunion. The rifle is also stamped with the date of mfg 1970 and the S/N. These new WASRs are much higher quality than the ones that were sold 10 years ago. The bolt & carrier have very few machining marks and are well finished & there are also no front sight or gas block cant issues. They have a threaded bbl w/ slant break, correct pinned gas piston, bayo lug, Tapco G2 FCG, matching numbered parts, & very little mag wobble. I did have to clean up the rough finished military grade laminated stock w/ some 300 Gr wet/dry sand paper & boiled Lindseed Oil, but it came our great. It also did not come w/ a cleaning rod, but I had a spare in my parts bin. Other than the far more expensive Arsenal models, this is the only new AK on the market w/ correct spec former Comblock chrome plated chambers & bbls.
Before:

After W/ Cleaning Rod & Romanian PG:

I also bought one of these (in January) and it's been remarkably good.. I replaced the Shepard's Hook w/ a retaining plate from Midway, about $10, firmed up the action nicely.

Love the Romaninan PG, think I'm gonna do that next!

Your Wasr looks really good especially the new pistol grip, Did you have to change out another part on your rifle to stay 922r compliant with the addition of the Romanian PG?

As far as I know, this is considered a US made firearm by the BATF; Century Arms does not list what parts they use to meet 922r as a mfg. The original black pistol grip was not marked "US" and the Romanian PG is not marked. If you are worried about it, use US mags.

As far as I know, this is considered a US made firearm by the BATF; Century Arms does not list what parts they use to meet 922r as a mfg. The original black pistol grip was not marked "US" and the Romanian PG is not marked. If you are worried about it, use US mags.

I bought a new stock set for my Romanian SAR ak and it came with with a nice PG like the one you have installed on your WASR. I wanted to fit the Romanian PG too my SAR rifle but it would of made out of compliance with the 922r regulations. I could use say tapco US made mags my rifle and be in compliance with regulations but i like surplus mags.

I hear alot of bad things about WASR rifles but i really like the way they look for the price, I think im going to buy a WASR underfolder very soon, and then i'll add the Romanian pistol grip to that rifle. My SAR has a Romanian made reciever so i guess that affects the 922r rules.

Your WASR looks really good. Have you fired it yet?

The only thing i dont like about the WASR rifles is the lack of dimples above the mag well

Last Edited:
I had my 1st WASR about 10 years ago and it was very reliable & never malfunctioned on me, however the Century Arms FCS slapped the living heck out of my finger. It also was marked w/ what looked like an electric pen and it had quite a bit of magazine wobble. It had the same dull phosphate finish and semi finished (military grade) laminated stock set, but the trunion and bolt carrier were very roughly machined. It was so uncomfortable to shoot that I shifted it off on someone else. The new model GP 10/63 in my opinion is much better made, which is why I bought one for my collection. I have several Arsenal AK-74 type rifles (SGL31 & 41) & a Draco & Mini Draco, but I wanted an AKM type rifle for my collection. I wish it had the mag dimples on the receiver, but functionally and cosmetically, it looks like a basic military AK-47. I didn't want an American made bbl, so my choices were pretty limited. My rifle shoots great and best of all, it doesn't slap my finger w/ the Tapco FCS. Accuracy is AK standard, but it is great fun to take to the range. My Buddy liked mine enough to by one from Brightwater Ventures yesterday.

My WASR 10/63's are great!!

This one is my favorite (side-folder and synthetic hand guards):
100_2253.jpg

This one is still a WIP (too busy/tired to re-finish the wood ATM):
100_2270.jpg

Both shoot flawlessly, and the side-folder is actually "stupid-accurate". :s0155:

uhm. whats the "dimple" thing people talk about? these are NICE WASRs!

On a majority of stamped-receiver AKs, directly above the magazine on the receiver, are two indentations, one on each side, called 'dimples'. Ostensible they eliminate magazine wobble, but their function is to strengthen the receiver at a weak point (the cutout for the magazine). The Romanian WASR lacks these. But...there are actual military AKs out there that don't have them either, the RPK74 being one, so it really isn't a big deal other than cosmetics.

Keith

Last Edited:
Does anyone know if they make a neoprene cover for the buttstock on these? I have Beartooth cover for my 870, and I get a very comfortable cheek weld.

Sometimes if I slack on my hold the WASR-10 will bruise my jaw pretty good.

Ive seen and fired some with paracord wrap. Softens it a bit, and keeps it from freezing your cheek in cold weather. If you get a good WASR, hang on to it. I had one that ran flawlessly, but I foolishly sold it to buy an Arsenal. The Arsenal is a great AK, but it doesnt do anything a WASR wont do.

uhm. whats the "dimple" thing people talk about? these are NICE WASRs!

This is my Romanian Draco pistol, but see just above the magazine on the receiver? There's an "oval" dimple embossed into the the side.
100_2273.jpg

On a majority of stamped-receiver AKs, directly above the magazine on the receiver, are two indentations, one on each side, called 'dimples'. Ostensible they eliminate magazine wobble, but their function is to strengthen the receiver at a weak point (the cutout for the magazine). The Romanian WASR lacks these. But...there are actual military AKs out there that don't have them either, the RPK74 being one, so it really isn't a big deal other than cosmetics.

Keith

What Keith said. Many "commando's" on the interweb say its to stabilze the magazine, but the "dimples" aren't EVEN deep enough to touch the magazine... its to reinforce the sides of the reciver in that area to keep the flat sides from "oil canning". The WASR series have reinforcement plates welded on the inside in that area making the lack of a dimple a non-issue. Also, I have seen plenty of photos of Chinese military personnel sporting an AK w/o dimples in the receiver.

Ive seen and fired some with paracord wrap. Softens it a bit, and keeps it from freezing your cheek in cold weather. If you get a good WASR, hang on to it. I had one that ran flawlessly, but I foolishly sold it to buy an Arsenal. The Arsenal is a great AK, but it doesnt do anything a WASR wont do.

My WASR's run like fine sewing machines, although the front sight on the wooden "dong" equipped one in the above photo was slightly canted (it was used when I got it), but was easily corrected with a rubber mallet. The all black side folder was bought NIB and was excellent in fit and finsh for an AK. :s0155: