Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

New Rifle

Discussion in 'Rifle Discussion' started by matttahoe53, May 24, 2016.

1. matttahoe53

matttahoe53 Beaverton, OR Member

Always a good day. I bought the somewhat controversial Zastava m90np. Really wanted an ak in 556 and from all the reviews there seems to be no issues with using ar mags. I'm going to try to get out this weekend and shoot it. After giving it a once over it seems the sights are straight. The only issue is the gas block is really difficult to adjust.

If all goes well I'll be getting new furniture and a mount for a red dot. Does anyone else have one of these? If so, what hand guard did you use? I could see issues with some due to the adjustable gas block. As for mounting the red dot I really don't want a side mount because of the weight, but it will probably be the most stable option.
    I did get in contact with someone local and am going to bring my rifle by to test fit one of his mounts.
    https://www.atteroarms.com

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

bolus, PBinWA, Sgt Nambu and 2 others like this.
  2. SA Shooter

SA Shooter Hillsboro, OR Silver Supporter Silver Supporter

Good lookin' rifle!

Sgt Nambu likes this.
  3. erudne

erudne The Pie Matrix PPL Say Sleeping W/Your Rifle Is A bad Thing? Bronze Supporter

Interesting, the AR mag option is a big step forward, is the barrel chromed?

Sgt Nambu likes this.
  4. Larrytpdx

Larrytpdx Portland, OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

I would be interested to know what you paid if you don't mind. :)

5. ditchtiger

ditchtiger In the sticks, Willamette Valley Well-Known Member

That's a 556 I could warm up to. I still don't care for the AR's.

6. ditchtiger

ditchtiger In the sticks, Willamette Valley Well-Known Member

7. matttahoe53

The barrel is chrome lined.

Sgt Nambu likes this.
  8. erudne

erudne The Pie Matrix PPL Say Sleeping W/Your Rifle Is A bad Thing? Bronze Supporter

sweet

Sgt Nambu likes this.
  9. SA Shooter

SA Shooter Hillsboro, OR Silver Supporter Silver Supporter

The top of that receiver may be a spot that would hold a section of picatinny rail, would it not?

10. Boboclown

Boboclown North Carolina Well-Known Member

11. matttahoe53

I was able to get out to the range this weekend and test the new rifle out. First off I had issues with gas settings. I started out on 1 which is the least amount of gas out of three settings. Wasn't able to get any rounds to eject. Adjusting the gas block is extremely difficult and I had to disassemble the rifle in order to change settings.

So on setting 2 I was still having no luck with the Tulammo and switched to PMC that had a moderate amount of success.

Another disassembly and then switch to gas setting 3. this ejected and fed every round perfectly. I was surprised at how far it was launching it on this setting considering neither of the previous two settings were ejecting the brass.

As for magazines, I only had two with me the crappy D&H which the rifle came with and a nice Lancer magazine. The D&H was garbage and was having failures to feed and I quit using it immediately. The Lancer mag seated nicely in the rifle without having to force it in and it feed every round without a problem steel or brass. As a bonus the lancer mag almost will drop free if you hit the mag release and then shake the rifle a bit the mag will fall.

Shooting the rifle there's almost no recoil and follow-up shots are very easy. I find the trigger to be just fine if not good. I didn't have a chance to bench rest the rifle to really get an idea of what the accuracy was like, but I found it to be accurate enough for off hand shooting on a 6" target at 50 yards.

Changes that need to be made:
    The stock is not great
    The hand guards need changed, the rifle gets hot in a hurry.
    Different muzzle device, it only needs a flash suppressor there's no reason to get a compensator.
    Red dot mount and sight

The verdict: I absolutely love this rifle, Especially considering what I paid for it new. I think it is a great value. Once I figure out what's going on with the gas block I think it'll run perfectly on setting 2. I think the whole issue I was having prior were due to the holes not being lined up perfectly. I've stripped it and cleaned it today lubed everything up and I think I've got it all straightened out now so we'll see next time.