JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey folks,

I need suggestions/help on picking out a first hunting rifle. I think I've narrowed down the caliber to .30-06. I have about $550-600 to spend on the rifle and optics. If you were me, what would you be looking to buy?

I've had a few suggestions:

Savage 111 combo pack. Bi-mart has it for $350 right now. That leaves me room to get any extras I might want to toss on there.
Weatherby Vanguard

Your opinions?

Thanks!

PS, should I only be looking at new guns? I now that Gun Broker in Tigard seems to have a decent selection of rifles sometimes...

I am in the same boat as you are, picking out a rifle. from the research I have dont, the savage are good guns although the optics are not the best. Hard to beat for the price though. Another thing you can look at is a used rifle. There can be alot of good guns with good optics for not so much money. I don't know how much of a hurry you are but there is a gun show on the 23rd and 24th put on by ARPC down in Albany that should have some nice used stuff.

I felt like I was in a big hurry, but I need to calm down and just wait. Can't do gun shows. Started a new job and my days off are tue/thur. Ah well, I'll keep looking. I thought about buying something from bud's guns online. he usually has free shipping and I'd just have to pay to have it transfered and the background check.

I would rethink weight. Do you plan to have a pack with you with at least essential items? It adds up if you are actually going away from your vehicle for any distance as well weather conditions.

I'll be hunting with my father. He has some troubles getting a long as he's getting up there in age. happens to us all. I doubt we'll be going too far from a vehicle. I'm not opposed to light weight rifles either. I just need help finding something that will work.

My son bought the BiMart Savage model 111 in 30-06 last year. And with the package optics he's shooting 1.25" groups at 100yards with factory ammo. The Accutrigger is amazing once you get used to it. (It takes about 1/2 a dozen shots to forget the little safety blade is in the trigger) Granted the Stock could be a little stiffer. But it has not in anyway effected his accuracy and it is certainly weatherproof.

I got him a nice sling and he picked up a little nylon ammo pouch that holds 10 rounds for his belt. He bought a spare magazine (about 55.00) and he's set for anything we hunt from Coyotes to Elk and Bear.

I am planning on buying one either later this year or next and buying a EH SHAW barrel swap kit to convert it to a .35 Whelen (35 caliber -06) the Savage action is as solid and smooth as any and strong as all get out. Plus its very hard to beat the price.

I not sure if this is acceptable to post this in this forum but I have a Smith & Wesson 1500 in 7mm mag that I would like to sell it has a Deerfield 3x9 scope and see through scope rings. It is a great shooter nice looking rifle with a smooth action. I am asking $300 if interested?

I not sure if this is acceptable to post this in this forum but I have a Smith & Wesson 1500 in 7mm mag that I would like to sell it has a Deerfield 3x9 scope and see through scope rings. It is a great shooter nice looking rifle with a smooth action. I am asking $300 if interested?

I have a Smith & Wesson 1500 in .30-06. This rifle is made by Howa, the same as the Howa 1500 and the Weatherby Vanguard. All are excellent shooters. My S&W delivers .75" groups at 100 yards. I would jump on this one.

if i was you i would pick up the 111 from bimart and either toss the scope or get just the rifle itself and top it off with a nikon buckmaster 3-9 if you have up to a 600$ budget that leaves you 50$ for a sling, cleaning kit and some ammo.

i have had a few of the savage rifles and they are all great shooters just make sure its a 110,111 or 116 dont go for the savage edge, from what i understand they are garbage like the remmy 770's

forgot to throw in there i personally would not go with the vanguard, i have had 2 and the both accumulated surface rust at a rapid rate due to the finish not being the greatest they were however great shooters. i am not sure if the s2's have fixed this problem and i gave alot of thought into getting one last time i was in the market for a new hunting rifle because of the 2 stage trigger but i passed due to my experience with them.

You might check out Tikka T-3 stainless.. made by Sako, very very accurate and lightweight... used they go for around 400... ive got one in 30.06 and it shoots 1/2 moa out of the box...also has the best action out of all my rifles...silky smooth...

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top