JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Been dreaming about picking up a Marlin 1895SBL for quite a while now. Somehow I was able to talk the wife into letting me buy one for my birthday. ;)

This is my first rifle with wood on it and I'm curious about stock care. This rifle is not gonna be a safe queen, it is going in the woods during hunting seasons and for some back country hiking. Sure it will pick up scrapes and dings along the way, but should I do any sort of protective finish on this stock? Or should factory finish repel moisture enough on its own? It does not feel like it has any coating on it, but may be soaked into the wood.

Any suggestions and advice would be appreciated.

I use Renaissance Wax on mine. Several coats. If you want shine, use Johnson's Paste Wax or equivalent. Both will protect the finish from grime, moisture, etc. Renaissance Wax is good for the blued and/or stainless steel barrels, too.

Be very light on oil, especially near the tang area as the stock interface can and will absorb it...not good. Matter-of-fact, remove the stock and be sure to put wax on the tang ends of the stock.

BTW...green, red and black 3M scouring pads can keep your stainless parts looking new with proper application.

Last Edited: