New rifle stock need any attention?

Reactions
Been dreaming about picking up a Marlin 1895SBL for quite a while now. Somehow I was able to talk the wife into letting me buy one for my birthday. ;)

This is my first rifle with wood on it and I'm curious about stock care. This rifle is not gonna be a safe queen, it is going in the woods during hunting seasons and for some back country hiking. Sure it will pick up scrapes and dings along the way, but should I do any sort of protective finish on this stock? Or should factory finish repel moisture enough on its own? It does not feel like it has any coating on it, but may be soaked into the wood.

Any suggestions and advice would be appreciated.

Reactions
I use Renaissance Wax on mine. Several coats. If you want shine, use Johnson's Paste Wax or equivalent. Both will protect the finish from grime, moisture, etc. Renaissance Wax is good for the blued and/or stainless steel barrels, too.

Be very light on oil, especially near the tang area as the stock interface can and will absorb it...not good. Matter-of-fact, remove the stock and be sure to put wax on the tang ends of the stock.

BTW...green, red and black 3M scouring pads can keep your stainless parts looking new with proper application.

Last edited:

UPCOMING EVENTS

Arms Collectors of SW Washington Gun Show
Battleground Community Center
912 E Main St, Battle Ground, WA 98604, USA
Cerberus Training Group - Run the Gun Pistol
Cerberus Training Group
47 Cattle Dr, Goldendale, WA 98620, USA
Cerberus Training Group - Run the Gun Rifle
Cerberus Training Group
47 Cattle Dr, Goldendale, WA 98620, USA

LATEST RESOURCE REVIEWS

• HighLine Firearms
    5.00 star(s)
    Upstanding Vendor!
    Have worked with this business twice and both times were outstanding! Will definitely keep going to him when I'm up in that area! Shoot, will...
    • HA556
  • Oregon Arms & Ammunition
    5.00 star(s)
    Hellcat OSP
    I almost put "Limited "Covid induced" inventory" as a Con, but thought that wouldn't really be fair to them! The aftermath of Covid has depleted...
  • Vancouver Weapon Werx
    5.00 star(s)
    I have done a lot of deals here
    Gary's easy to work with when in town.
  • Vancouver Weapon Werx
    5.00 star(s)
    Excellent Business!
    I have been going to Vancouver Weapon Werx for years and know both owners quite well. The only downfall is I go there to purchase or have a gun...
  • SafeFire Indoor Shooting Range & Retail
    5.00 star(s)
    A great, safe place to go shooting
    Love this place!! Great staff, the range masters are friendly, helpful and alert. This is a safe place to shoot. The store is kind of low on stock...
    • GWS
Top Bottom