JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
My AAC Aviator2 is in jail currently but I'm wanting to get ready. I already picked up a 22/45 Lite and now for a rifle in 22lr. I have three 10/22's already and can buy a threaded barrel and stock (only would want to replace pencil barrel) or I've been looking at the Ruger American Rimfire with a threaded barrel. They both take the same mags which is a bonus. Is a 10/22 substantially louder than a bolt gun because of the action noise? Either way would set me back roughly the same $$$. Looking for input as to what direction I should head.

My AAC Aviator2 is in jail currently but I'm wanting to get ready. I already picked up a 22/45 Lite and now for a rifle in 22lr. I have three 10/22's already and can buy a threaded barrel and stock (only would want to replace pencil barrel) or I've been looking at the Ruger American Rimfire with a threaded barrel. They both take the same mags which is a bonus. Is a 10/22 substantially louder than a bolt gun because of the action noise? Either way would set me back roughly the same $$$. Looking for input as to what direction I should head.

A bolt action is significantly more quiet. A lot of sound escapes out of the action on a semi automatic unless it's specifically tuned for running suppressed. Plus, what's not to love about a new rifle.

A bolt action is significantly more quiet. A lot of sound escapes out of the action on a semi automatic unless it's specifically tuned for running suppressed. Plus, what's not to love about a new rifle.
Another thought is that if you use a bolt action then you can run subsonic loads without the cycling problems that come with reduced power loads on a semi auto.

Both great points! I just need to adjust the safes a little to squeeze "one" more in, LOL. I really like the thought of rapid firing suppressed once in a while but the thought of silly quiet is ever so appealing.

I have both styles (semi & bolt)
My bolt American... oh man. Oh oh oh oh man... hammer fall is louder than CCI standards. I prefer the bolt

I'm so partial to these bolts and their accuracy I went out and snagged a Ruger Precision Rimfire in .22 just because.

339959E4-204B-4EC5-B242-544749999EAC.jpeg

I've dispatched nutria one a group and the other didn't move. Was easy picking. Almost cheating.

Bolt is much more quiet but depends on how quiet you want it. A semi auto suppressed and shooting subsonics is still quiet (although 10/22 action is quite loud compared to others unless you do the fancy and expensive aklys (sp?) quiet modifications.

Many (most?) semi autos will cycle fine with American eagle suppressor ammo and cci standard velocity (and cci suppressor but that is crazy expensive). Cci quiet, aguila and a lot of other subsonics likely won't cycle.

Barrel length is a huge factor in how loud it is and of course subsonic ammo is critical for noise.

To get an idea of sounds levels, here is an example of a 18" barrel bolt action shooting cci quiets. This was an armscor 22 youth rifle (costs me $120 out the door new, has threaded barrel, 10 shot mag, and is well built of steel and wood not plastic).

Bolt is much more quiet but depends on how quiet you want it. A semi auto suppressed and shooting subsonics is still quiet (although 10/22 action is quite loud compared to others unless you do the fancy and expensive aklys (sp?) quiet modifications.

Many (most?) semi autos will cycle fine with American eagle suppressor ammo and cci standard velocity (and cci suppressor but that is crazy expensive). Cci quiet, aguila and a lot of other subsonics likely won't cycle.

Barrel length is a huge factor in how loud it is and of course subsonic ammo is critical for noise.

To get an idea of sounds levels, here is an example of a 18" barrel bolt action shooting cci quiets. This was an armscor 22 youth rifle (costs me $120 out the door new, has threaded barrel, 10 shot mag, and is well built of steel and wood not plastic).

I watched that and, WOW!

I watched that and, WOW!
The second sound -which is louder than the actual shot- is the sound of the bullet hitting the target 25 yards away (it's an ultra quiet target made of duct seal putty).

Shooting am eagle suppressor ammo is just a hair louder than that but hardly noticeable. The sound of the target is still the loudest. The barrel length is key. I was looking at getting a Cz threaded barrel 22 but they only had short barrel models. So I settled on the Ruger American and then lucky sporting goods advertised the armscor at $118 out the door and I couldn't turn it down.

FYI I would suggest shooting am eagle suppressor 45gr ammo no matter what you buy. Very reliable and consistent. I can't tell any difference between it and cci suppressor in all categories: noise, cleanliness, accuracy, consistency, reliability. Cycles all my semi autos just fine. Clean burning and hard hitting for a subsonic. I like aguila sniper 60 grain too but it's dirtier and less consistent in my experience (stinky too ha ha). Last year you could buy am eagle suppressor on sale at brownells for around 4.5-4.8 cents per round. Who know nowadays though.

Last Edited:
I almost jumped on one of those rifles when he put the word out, too bad @LuckySG is so far from me. I'm leaning towards getting a bolt gun now and then playing with a 10/22. I even found a place that offers 80% 10/22 recievers that would really be a fun project.

I have both. 10/22 with a Tac-Sol SBX barrel. Functions fine with CCI subsonics, not so much with Aguilla or Remington subs.
Sounds like a quiet air stapler, with a bit of action clatter. It's quiet, but you know something is going on. It is a hoot to do a
25 rd mag dump suppressed----and that short SBX barrel is more accurate than you would think.

Savage FV-SR bolt. Wow. most noise from gun was the bolt clicking when it cocked . I machined the little noise maker
button for a urethane bumper--now the darned thing just makes a little "poof". Shoots anything, but most accurate with
Aguilla subs.

Also, @ilikegunspdx are you saying a longer barrel is better? I was under the impression a short barrel was good to keep them traveling subsonic.
Longer barrel decreases sound by a lot. I have tested (not with sound meter or anything just ears) all the way from 3.4" - 22" and no question it makes a huge difference. Try shooting a subsonic round out of a 24" or 22" barrel with no suppressor and you will be amazed how quiet it is.

Re shorter and velocity, it totally depends on the round. The advertised velocity is usually for whatever stated barrel length (16" Fe). You can see youtube chrono tests for certain rounds out of certain barrel lengths if u really want to get real world numbers instead of advertised numbers. For me I just use good subsonic ammo and have never had an issue of it going supersonic.

I know some people want to use less expensive high velocity bulk ammo and if you had a really significantly shorter barrel yes that could reduce velocity enough so that it is subsonic. But if you want to reduce sound, why not just use a good subsonic round is my opinion. Often the cheapest ammo is a lot more dirty, less consistent (ie less accurate), and has more duds. That's a blanket statement though of course. Some cheap bulk ammo like federal champion bulk pack f.e. is consistent and clean.

For subsonics CCI standard velocity is pretty cheap (around 3.6-4.2 cpr on sale as I recall -last year's prices I mean) and am eagle suppressor is not much more. Not having to clean the suppressor as often, consistency, lack of duds, sound levels, etc are all worth it to me to pay slightly more. When it comes to sound deadening I will get the longest barrel I can. Too bad CZ doesn't thread their 24" barrel models that would be the bees knees. Just my experience and everyone has their favorite ammo. Longer barrel lengths reducing sound when using subsonics is well established imo.

Last Edited:
My TacSol barrel on the takedown is pretty nice. I wish I had the non TD variant through.
I may have to build one.

I have an old Remington model 33 that will near shoot silent with subs. It has a long 22" or so barrel. So yes, barrel length has a lot to do with native sound levels even without a suppressor.

Remmber you are slowing the expanding gasses which make the noise. Long barrel = more gas withheld = slower velocity on exit.

We run a suppressor on our Ruger Precision Rimfire .22 and with CCI quiet loads it is slightly louder than the hammer dropping. Super nice rifle IMO.

I have both a 10/22 and ruger American rim fire. The bolt gun is a lot quieter. With CCI std velocity I've dispatched a coyote and a nutria off my back porch. Shoots plenty good for me. The 10/22 (take down) isn't bad either. 10 out of 10 in a 3" circle at 100 yds.

I have both styles (semi & bolt)
My bolt American... oh man. Oh oh oh oh man... hammer fall is louder than CCI standards. I prefer the bolt

I'm so partial to these bolts and their accuracy I went out and snagged a Ruger Precision Rimfire in .22 just because.

View attachment 684201

I've dispatched nutria one a group and the other didn't move. Was easy picking. Almost cheating.
This ^
I also have some 10/22's with threaded barrels and the Ruger American .22 with threaded barrel. The Ruger American is stupid quite with a SS Sparrow or Spectre can on it.

I also have a savage .22 with a threaded barrel which also shoots well, but the magazines aren't as easy to load and don't come in 25 round capacity.

Having 2 bolt .22's is the reason to have 2 suppressors. That way you and your shooting partner can both shoot at the same time.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top