Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

New rifle musing

Discussion in 'Rifle Discussion' started by BullsBucksandBoars, Sep 10, 2015.

1. BullsBucksandBoars

BullsBucksandBoars The right place at the right time, OR Active Member

so the wife offered up a weight loss challenege for her and I, upon meeting our goals I get a $1500 budget for a new gun and/or scope combo (she gets a shopping spree). So as I sit here on this elk trial waiting for them to wake up and start feeding my way the wheels have been starting to turn on this thought of a new gun...

As it sits right now there's nothing on this planet I couldn't handle with what's in the safe. A .410, 20 and 12ga even though I don't really bird hunt. I'm not much of a pistolero but I've got a 22LR/22mag revolver, a 357 mag a couple of carry guns in 380 and a nice 45. For rifles there's a 17hmr, more 22's than you can shake a stick at, a couple .30-30's, a ruger 44 carbine, my trusty go to '06 and 375HH that hides in the back and collects dust. There's even a 50cal Hawkin replica muzzle loader I've been playing with recently. I started hand loading a couple years ago and can manipulate any of those rounds to do almost anything I could ever ask for. As you can see I don't really ever need a new rifle, just don't tell my wife I said that.

Most of my rifle hunts are in western OR for bears and blacktails. I did Africa 5 years ago and if I ever go back it will be bow only for just one animal: Cape buffalo-The Black Death. I'm trying to do an out of state hunt every other year, last year was Montana for a rifle elk/deer combo (although I've come to realize I really only enjoy hunting elk with a bow anymore), next year will be antelope and deer in Wyoming. After that Alaska or Canada for moose/caribou (that one might be a three year savings plan), back to Wyoming for elk (but that will be a bow hunt), then another trip north for Sitka blacktails and black bears. I'd like to sprinkle another Montana whitetail and an Idaho whitetail hunt in there somewhere too.

I'm partial to Mauser actions.

Some calibers that I find interesting are the 257 Weatherby, 7mm-08, 280 Remington, 358 Winchester, 35 Whelen and a good lever action .45-70 always catches my eye.

So with all that, what would you look for in a new rifle? I'm open to suggestions...

Norm0931 likes this.
  2. etrain16

etrain16 Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

I shot a buddy's lever action .45-70 last weekend. It certainly was a fun gun to shoot :)

mjbskwim likes this.
  3. Norm0931

Norm0931 Hillsboro, OR Sgt. Sheep Silver Vendor 2016 Volunteer

I'd say a Browning BLR Lightweight Takedown or a Marlin 1895 Guide Gun. The SBL Marlin is a damn nice rifle.

4. orygun

orygun West Linn Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

I've always been kind of partial to the 45-70 and have had a couple. One was a Browning B78 that I really liked and handloads would stop anything.
    However I've been a long time fan of the 30-06 and know damned well it will do anything I ask of it. It's my only "working" rifle and we get along superbly.
    If I was going to choose one from your list, I would modify it slightly.
    The 280 Ackley Improved is one of the very few cartridges that I would ever consider taking my '06's place. No need for a 7mm Rem Mag, the 280 AO will take care of business.
    I'll stick with the 30-06, but have been leaning towards doing the AO treatment on it. Small gain, I know, but I don't usually follow convention.

5. BullsBucksandBoars

I was in love with the 280 Ackley for a long time until my father in law bought a Cooper chambered in it. It's the most finicky rifle I've ever seen when it's shooting well it will impress you but it picks which days of the week it wants to shoot reliably... I know it's most likely and isolated coincident but it's kind of turned me off on the cartridge

6. orygun

I feel your pain. I wanted a Kimber Montana in 30-06 badly and my wife bought one for me as an anniversary present. Just couldn't get along with a bolt action that had feeding problems. Bought my Ruger back and sold the Kimber. Gun was at fault, not the cartridge.
    Don't think I'd let one gun stop me from trying a proven cartridge.

7. Lance Jacobs

Lance Jacobs South Willamette Valley Oregon Well-Known Member

I would second the suggestion for the Browning BLR, in a stainless takedown model.

http://www.browning.com/products/catalog/firearms/detail.asp?fid=003B&cid=034&tid=015

If you have never shot or handled a BLR, they are really quite an amazing lever action gun. And it is available in both 7mm-08 and 358 Winchester.

No 45-70 model is made, but it is available in .450 Marlin, which can actually outperform the 45-70.

10336d1312829045-browning-blr-lightweight-feedback-blr-magazine.jpg

8. Deavis

Deavis Mid Willamette Valley Active Member

You sound a little bored with your herd. One thing that will really put some zest back in your relationship is a new suppressor. Buy a 30 cal silencerco harvester for the '06 and 30/30s and you will love it.

mjbskwim, orygun and Norm0931 like this.
  9. Greenbug

Greenbug Bend Well-Known Member

I couldn't imagine not having a 243 in my safe. Very useful for deer/antelope and coyotes. Pretty much zero recoil, incredibly accurate, and fun to shoot. It is capable of longer ranges if needed, and is an excellent blacktail rifle equally at home in the thick brush or the open clear cuts.

Try one you might like it...;)

10. Lance Jacobs

I noticed that too. No smaller caliber centerfires.

Everyone needs to own at least one rifle in .243 Winchester or .22-250 Remington.

Of course, the Browning BLR is available in those calibers too! :)

11. BullsBucksandBoars

I had a 22-250 not all that long ago nice little gun but let it go, I never really used it. A 700 ADL in 7mag passed through the safe at one time too, but I don't really miss it. The one I kick myself over was a Hawkeye in stainless with the ugly boat paddle stock in 338 win, man I loved that gun.

I've shot several 243's and thought they were all nice rifles. But my little girl, who just turned 2 last month, is on track to be a very petite lady so a 243 for her will be arriving in the next few years in time for youth mentor hunts. Because of that I'm not in a big hurry to go out and buy one for myself. That's why I was looking at a 257 Roy, it would be my tiny bore, clear cut and sage flat burner...

Thanks for the BLR suggestion, never played with one or really gave them much consideration but they now have my attention. I'll be sure to fondle a few next time I'm in sportsmans.

For those of you that have them, is accuracy that of a typical lever gun or is it significantly improved with the box magazine and ability to shoot other bullets beside RN/FN?

12. Lance Jacobs

Here is a very detailed review and feedback from a happy BLR owner. It is quite a unique rifle. Nothing quite like it on the market. If you want a real close look at the gun, take a look at this video:

I met the late Phil Simonski many years ago at a trade show. He operated the Powder River Tackle guide service in Baker City for many years, and was well known as being the most prolific coyote hunter in all of eastern Oregon for a long time, When everyone else was using bolt action rifles or AR's to hunt Coyotes, he was relying on a trusty BLR in .22-250, that he really loved and spoke highly of.

That got my first interest in the BLR. Unfortunately, I never got around to getting one, despite how unique and cool they are. I ended up going the AR route, and putting a lot of money into a couple of AR's. And then I got a couple of Remington's now discontinued 700 Light Varmint Stainless Fluted rifles too, which were awesome bolt action hunting rifles.

Phil's book on Coyote hunting is perhaps the best ever written on the subject. It is still available. If you ever read the book, you will see lots of photos of him with his BLR next to piles of dead coyotes.

340326.jpg

Browning has been making the BLR for 45 years now. I can easily remember when they first came out on the market. This stainless takedown model is relatively new, however. I believe that it was introduced just 5 years ago.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2015
    BullsBucksandBoars likes this.
  13. solv3nt

solv3nt Portland Well-Known Member

I picked up a new Winchester 70 Sporter 30-06 a few months ago, and with factory ammo, I was putting multiple bullets in the same hole at 100 yards. I'm intrigued by the 7mm-08, so that would be my next rifle.

14. BullsBucksandBoars

So what era of the BLR's should I be looking for if I go that route? What time frame did they make the best "generation"? Did they ever make a 45-70?

15. mjbskwim

mjbskwim Salmon,Idaho Well-Known Member

I would probably get a Browning or Winchester long octagon barreled 45 70

16. BullsBucksandBoars

This kind of got me thinking. Maybe a gunsite scout with a can... Hmmmmmm

Last edited: Sep 15, 2015
  17. orygun

I've been curious about a Gunsite Scout since they came out, too. Sure wish they made a long action version.

FYI, I believe I would pass on a BLR in 45 cal if they only came in 450 Marlin. There is nothing you can't do with a 45-70, if you handload, that can be done with a 450 Marlin and the brass and ammo is much easier to find. This isn't meant to say that I'd pass on a BLR if you are interested. I believe they are a fine rifle and have a very short lever throw that is tough to beat.

18. BullsBucksandBoars

I've really liked the idea of the scout also but haven't really been able to justify one just yet. I wish they made it in other calibers too I got really excited about their guide gun but it's too heavy for my intentions.

I don't really have any interest in the 450 Marlin like you said with the right loads the Gov't will out do the Marlin and although I don't have any personal experience loading either everything I've read says the 45-70 brass will out live the 450 brass by a considerable margin

19. Lance Jacobs

No, they never made it in 45-70 I believe that the .450 Marlin chambering is fairly new.

I'm not aware of any generation being better than the other. For the first 30 years the rifle was made with a steel receiver, and those older model rifles are thus heavier. Since 1995, the rifle has been made with an aluminum receiver, which helps it achieve its relatively light weight.

I believe that the takedown model is relatively new in the last 5 or 6 years. Otherwise, the rifle is available in blued or stainless, with either a pistol grip, or a straight grip.

During the Winchester Short Magnum craze the rifle was available in all of the WSM cartridges. But the only one that they are still producing is the 325 WSM.

The old steel receiver rifle was made in 257 Roberts for some time, if that caliber is of any interest to you. But I believe that caliber has been discontinued for 20 years now, since the lightweight rifle came out.