JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Yeah I really like the Ruger model 1770 44special, Sig ammo 200 gr factory is such a pleasure to shoot not a heavy recoiler. But still hitting hard with 200 gr.

I had a gp100 3" in 44 special. It was flawed from factory but they took care of me after two visits. It just left a bad taste that made me sell it. Not a bad choice in 44 spcl. For a gp100; But I would really like the 4-6" models just for the sight radius increase over 3".

But I still dwell a lot on Wiley Clapp gp100 3" in 357. Gunblast said with 38 ammo in a ransom rest at 25yrds it shot .5" group(actually a 3/8ths" group) so I may be 'hooked'.

Yeah I really like the Ruger model 1770 44special, Sig ammo 200 gr factory is such a pleasure to shoot not a heavy recoiler. But still hitting hard with 200 gr.

I had a gp100 3" in 44 special. It was flawed from factory but they took care of me after two visits. It just left a bad taste that made me sell it. Not a bad choice in 44 spcl. For a gp100; But I would really like the 4-6" models just for the sight radius increase over 3".

But I still dwell a lot on Wiley Clapp gp100 3" in 357. Gunblast said with 38 ammo in a ransom rest at 25yrds it shot .5" group(actually a 3/8ths" group) so I may be 'hooked'.
I've heard the milder version of the "Skeeter load" is still pretty stout but recoil is quite manageable.
I wouldn't mind working up an accurate load for a 300 grain bullet.

My favorite handgun is a S&W 629 with 5" barrel. I have been drooling over the 5-shot L-frame version for a while. In .357 I would tend to go for a k-frame with 4" barrel.

I do have a Ruger sp101 in .327 fed mag that I like very much, but I favor the Smiths over Rugers generally, mostly for the looks (so yeah, it is a matter of taste).

Hard to go wrong with a model 66...

1589329003506.png

Last Edited:
GP100, either in the Match Champion 357 or the 5 inch Model 1770 by Lipseys in 357. They serve both purposes, let that read "many purposes" well and they are easy to learn to shoot. Also have the benefit of cheap 38 ammo for plinking or introducing others to the revolver platform.

Hard to wrong with a model 66...

View attachment 695833
Nice looking early Model 66. I have it's twin. They only put the stainless sights like that on them for a couple years in the early '70s. Old police gun.

As much as I absolutely love the old K-frame Smiths, they don't have the best reputation for durability with a lot of magnum rounds. They wear out with heavy use.

I ended up going with this one. I'll post a real picture when it gets released to me. I bought a Ruger 57 that hits 10 days Friday. So hopefully this weekend I will go shooting!
E0F37593-1CA9-455D-AB73-43D64B3D9E73.jpeg

One of these days the competitions will start opening back up around here. I am starting to order parts and holsters now

Just took delivery of this S&W Model 686 Plus 3-5-7 Magnum Series which is being sent to Clark Custom guns for their Custom SSR package.

Attachments

• 150854_01_lg_1_0.jpg
    150854_01_lg_1_0.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 28
Way back I bought a S&W model 64 with some of the new 38 spcl. Copper bullet wadcutter HP it is a nice revolver for self D and the trigger makes it a target shooter even with the fixed sights.

Fed HST wadcutter

As much as I absolutely love the old K-frame Smiths, they don't have the best reputation for durability with a lot of magnum rounds. They wear out with heavy use.
I was told something very similar by Smith & Wesson when I wrote to them in the late 90's asking "why no .44 cal K-frame?".
This became a correspondence over a couple of emails that touched on various aspects of the K/L frame.
The Model 13/19 was made as an answer to Colt's .357 that had "one upped" Smith by putting the powerful .357 into a more compact and lighter platform (compared to the model 27/28).
The K-frame was even more compact than the frame Colt used, tilting the field back in Smith's favour.
However, use of the .357 in those guns was only supposed to be occasional, with the majority of use still being the .38 Special, in both standard and +P form.
It wasn't until the advent of Stainless frames did Smith feel the frame was tough enough to withstand constant use of the .357 magnum round.
This is why, if you look back, you'll notice a sudden "explosion" of .357 guns starting around the mid 1960's.
Smith and Wesson didn't debut that frame material until 1965 when they released a stainless variation of the Model 36.
The Model 60.

Last Edited:
Way back I bought a S&W model 64 with some of the new 38 spcl. Copper bullet wadcutter HP it is a nice revolver for self D and the trigger makes it a target shooter even with the fixed sights.

Fed HST wadcutter
I'm not surprised...
With adjustable sights it's a Model 67.
With adjustable sights and a blued frame it's a Model 15.
With adjustable sights, a blued frame, 6" barrel, Patridge front sight, Magna Grips, wide hammer spur and trigger it becomes the Model 14, aka, the vaunted K-38 Target Masterpiece. o_O
...but basically, they're all the same gun - The Smith & Wesson K-frame revolver.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top