Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

New reloader, die damaging cases?

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by jblake00, Jun 18, 2015.

1. jblake00

jblake00 North Oregon Coast Active Member

Hey guys, how's it going? I'm having some issues with brass. I'm using a 2 die RCBS set on an old single stage press. The cases are once fired 223 Winchesters.

You can see in the pictures the marks or even gouges in the brass that I'm getting. Out of 50 cases I had 8 that had some kind of damage to them that I didn't think was acceptable. This was only running it through the first die by the way.

20150618_190250.jpg

What do you think? I have adjusted and played with the die to try and eliminate the marks. Helped a little, but even with the depriming pin/mouth flaring piece out, it still marks the brass. Thanks guys!

Joshua

20150618_190250.jpg

2. RVTECH

RVTECH LaPine Well-Known Member

This looks like 'oil denting' from too much lube. How are you lubing your cases? Too much lube builds up inside the dies and compresses the brass. The random dents suggest this. If you are using a lube pad consider WAY less lube or start using spray lube - and just a 'spritz' with spray is all it takes. Also you need to clean your brass before resizing. If you are it ain't enough - if not start.

CryWolf and Sgt Nambu like this.
  3. 2ndtimer

2ndtimer SE Washington state Active Member

Were the cases severely dented before you tried resizing them? I have not seen that level of damage done to brass by a resizing die. What kind of case lube are you using?

4. SHPD_Retired

SHPD_Retired Saint Helens Well-Known Member

When I first resized some of this brass I got the same thing happening. I backed off on the amount of lube on each case and it did not happen again. I would say RVTECH was correct in his earlier post.

5. U201491

U201491 Well-Known Member

Grease and oil dents. Use the proper lube and pad for your cases, don't drench them in it.
    An invisible film. If you see the lube it is too much.

6. jblake00

No the cases were not damaged before hand, I made sure to check after noticing the first couple.

As for lube, I was using some Hornady one shot. Placed a bunch of cases on a towel, necks facing me, and tryed to spray inside the neck and along the outside of the case. Then roll them around a little on the towel. I did add some special moly lube from Cajun Gun Works to the inside of the die to see if that would help smooth running the case into the die. Maybe it was a touch to much... :confused:

The funny thing is the marks started to disappear as soon as some of the lube worked out the die. Never thought it could be OVER lubed though.

7. RVTECH

+1 - good 'rule of thumb'

8. jblake00

Thanks for the heads up guys, definetly seemed to be the problem.

9. filsonhand

filsonhand In the Silicon Forest Smooth as a Rhino 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

Try putting your brass in a gallon zip lock and spraying some Dillon or rcbs case lube on brass, 5 or 6 sprays then mix brass and repeat until a light, even coat.

I do this a few hundred at a time and works great with no dented shoulders.

Definitely clean the brass first to save wear on dies. :)

10. U201491

U201491 Well-Known Member

yep way over lubed. You should barely be able to feel it on the case. Also use the proper lube pad to do it..
    One of the biggest first mistakes of new reloaders :)

11. RVTECH

Yes it was. Also don't lube the inside of the cases unless you just use a case neck brush with just a LITTLE on the bristles to lightly lube the inside of the neck to help expanding. Using spray eliminates a lot of 'old school' lube problems and a little overspray into the necks is enough to help expanding yet does not affect the powder.

12. jblake00

I was trying to punch the primers out before I cleaned the brass, so it would also help clean out any gunk in the pocket not cleaned out by my brush. Do you guys clean the brass twice, before and after depriming?

13. filsonhand

filsonhand In the Silicon Forest Smooth as a Rhino 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

I like to keep it cheap and easy as I don't have a ultrasonic cleaner.

I punch primers and then soak in hot water with dawn and a pinch of lemi-shine.

Rinse with cold water after a couple hours.

If ya wanna get frisky, take some qtips to primer pockets :eek::D

Let it air dry

Then lube and size it

Tumble with walnut and some NU-FINISH

AND......voila :) nice shiny brass and the nu finish keeps it shiny for years

14. RVTECH

Good question and answers will probably vary but I only 'double' clean when I start seeing excessive buildup in the primer pockets. Depending on the powder and the load primer pockets sometimes stay cleaner longer that you might expect.

15. Greenbug

Greenbug Bend Well-Known Member

I clean both before and after sizing, but more before sizing to ensure that I am not introducing a bunch of dirt and carbon abrasives into my sizing die. Unless you are using stainless steel pins or a ultrasonic cleaner after you deprime you will not get your primer pockets any cleaner. I throw my sized cases into the tumbler for 10 minutes or so to remove any leftover case lube. To get the primer pockets clean I use a primer pocket cleaner or primer pocket uniformer...

Definitely too much lube for the original problem however...

16. Mark W.

Mark W. Silverton, OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Punch primer with a Lee punch and anvil set up Never have used a die to decap.
    scrape primer pockets
    run through vibrating cleaner with treated walnut shell
    run through vibrating cleaner with corn cob
    lube and size brass
    trim brass
    bevel brass
    wash brass in Tupperware jug about 30 at a time with Zip degreaser and dawn dish soap heavy agitation through rinse with hot water
    brass is placed on aluminum sheets head stamp down of course
    place in house hold oven at 150-175 degrees for 1 hour to completely dry
    Hand prime with a Lee priming tool
    measure powder and charge case with powder in the same action I place a bullet in the neck and then seat the bullet.

but then after doing it for now 46 years I got my own way. I even weigh each 9mm powder charge.

17. Capn Jack

Capn Jack Wet-Stern Washington Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

If you tumble in Walnut shells after de-priming be sure and pick the debris out of the flash holes...:rolleyes:

18. Classic

Classic Federal Way WA Well-Known Member

I use Hornady One Shot and place about 40 pieces of .223 brass in a shoe box and spray them. By the time I finish resizing and depriming the last couple are starting to get a little "grippy" in the die because One Shot evaporates. It has to be whatever you used in the die.
    After resizing I toss them back in the corn cob with IOSSO for another 10 minutes just to get the residue left over from the One Shot. If your corn cob is small enough and your polish had time to thoroughly mix with the cob prior to adding brass to the mix ya never end up with crud in the flash hole.
    Always clean your brass prior to resizing even with carbide dies although I only do this with rifle brass

19. Sgt Nambu

Sgt Nambu Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

As above clean and less lube. I cleaned out sizing dies with brake clean and a piece of fine scrub pad on a chop stick before each batch. But I was pretty anal about hand loading!o_O

20. orygun

orygun West Linn Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

I'd guess these have too much lube, too.
    I've used One Shot. I place the cases in a cardboard tray and lightly spray them, then I roll the cases to expose the other side and spray them again.
    Make sure you give the lubed cases a few minutes to set, then size.
    After that I run them thru the tumbler to remove the lube.

Also, I've had better luck with the RCBS lube than the One Shot.