JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Looks like these have been out for a little while but I just discovered them so thought I would mention it for others that may not have heard. Ruger finally releases a Redhawk in .45 Colt that is factory cut to allow for .45 ACP using moonclips. Not a novel idea but they had never had a double action revolver in .45 ACP. Negates the need to send in a .45 Colt cylinder for aftermarket machining. Has a 4.2" barrel, wood grips, and comes with 3 moon clips. Street price is around $800. http://ruger.com/products/redhawk/specSheets/5032.html

5032.jpg

Looks great. I have a scandium frame S and W in .45 ACP. Its an easy carrying and accurate piece. To go to 45 LC, you'd definitely want something heavier like the redhawk. The redhawk would be a pussycat with ACPs.

Looks great. I have a scandium frame S and W in .45 ACP. Its an easy carrying and accurate piece. To go to 45 LC, you'd definitely want something heavier like the redhawk. The redhawk would be a pussycat with ACPs.
.45 LC in a Scandium frame would no worse than a .44 Mag in the same.

I have a 329 PD and it is a beast with anything more than light loads, but I would gladly buy the same in .45 LC and then have the cylinder cut to take .45 ACP, or better yet, they should do like Ruger has done.

But my understanding is the S&W doesn't even make the 325 PD anymore.

I had a 329 PD and I sold it because I just couldn't shoot it straight even with light loads. If I'm packing .44, I'll take the weight of my 629.
I can do okay with Critical Defense 165 & 185 gr. loads in .44 Special

WIth magnum loads I can hit what I am aiming at the first time or two, and then I don't want to try anymore.

I have it because it is easier to carry and it has the power I want for a field gun. It will handle just about anything I run into in the PNW and still be able to shoot really light loads for taking small to medium game if necessary. The light weight also allows me to carry a .22 and ammo.

I used to carry a DW .44 Mag with a 6" heavy barrel when I was in Alaska, but that got old real quick. The 329 PD I don't even notice.

These are carry guns, not shooting guns. They are for those times when you would be tempted to leave a heavier gun at home because of the weight, not because you want to go shooting or hunting with them.

I understand your rationale. I traded for the 329 just because they are so very easy to carry and are extremely potent if needed. But, as a decent pistolero, I just didn't feel that I was accurate enough with it to have any confidence when carrying it so off it went. I would have loved to have kept it but lacking confidence in it led me to abandon it quickly.

Nice! Check out the S & W Governor. Scandium frame, and handles,quite well, the 45 ACP, 45 Long Colt, and the .410-2 1/2"-defensive shot shells. A REAL BEAST !!!

Nice! Check out the S & W Governor. Scandium frame, and handles,quite well, the 45 ACP, 45 Long Colt, and the .410-2 1/2"-defensive shot shells. A REAL BEAST !!!
I am not a fan of revolvers that shoot .410

It is an ineffective cartridge for self-defense IMO, it has limited range for hunting when shot from a revolver, the revolver becomes larger and heavier than necessary and the barrel shorter than I like.

The Redhawk looks like a nice piece. I know it's not as light as many other revolvers, but I'd guess it's not too heavy to carry all day in a good holster, preferably a cross chest carry.
I used to have a S&W 500 5". The thing that I didn't like about it was that I swear it weighed as much as my rifle.
This Redhawk should be a good seller for folks that like to spend time in the woods.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top