JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Too much mental gymnastics for my limited cranial capacity to find that dot as opposed to presenting the handgun with the striker plate covering the target, which in turn automatically aligns the iron sights....for me anyways. My wife likes her red dot though...

The RDS is showing you the deficiencies in your grip and hand/eye coordination, learn from it.

Personally, if I had the money, I'd put a RDS on everything gun I own.
You make a good point but I'm not doing that plus upgrading my holsters anytime soon. I think I might put some time into practicing pseudo-drawing and presenting the target pistol and see how that goes. A little work under a shot timer never hurt anyone. I'm reasonably fast with iron sights, even from an every-day cover garment, BTW. I feel like I'm as fast as I ever was, but I haven't used a timer a few years now.

Plus, as mentioned earlier it's another point of failure and more maintenance. Right now, I just shoot a few sets out of my carry weapon every time I'm at the range and then clean it. And blow the lint out of the mags of course. :rolleyes:

Look, man...you can hate on red dots all you want.

But you leave my tactical Twinkie out of this ya' hear!

cce0p2dnm2e31.jpg

I don't have an opinion on what other people do but I do know what works for me.

Like some people my age, I'm slow to accept change. Good triggers, guality iron sights, etc....

Then my eyesight started declining. Like many other shooters, I tried bright colored sights, multiple eye glasses the allowed a sharp focus front sight, even laser sights. Spent several thousands on these and the ammo to test the effectiveness. Tried several RDS for rifles, never thought about putting one on a pistol.

Nothing worked well enough. The RDS "dot" was just a blur like everything else. The situation was becoming hopeless.

I trusted my optician too much. I was in his office every 4-6 months for more and more expensive glasses. I'd pretty much accepted that I would be completely blind soon. For me, that was my nightmare coming true.

Then, standing outside a resturant I ran across an old retired Army eye doctor. We got to talking about all this and he said "you have cataracts, your optician is just selling you glasses. Find an ophthalmologist"

Turns out he was 100% correct. Cataracts. Followed up and got the surgery done with the IOL implants. I laid down on that table with 20/200 uncorrected vision. I walked out 30 minutes later with an eyepatch and full of fear.

Short ending. I "scarred in" at 20/10 vision in both eyes. Thats almost inhuman eyesight. Rebuilt my shooting skills to where Im as good as I ever was.

I carry RDS on my EDC as a result.

Faster and more accurate, FOR ME.

They take time to ingrain into your training to become second nature, but irons do too.

They work for me. They might work for you too.

You have to find out for yourself.

EDIT TO ADD: A good quality laser trainer, the "bullet type" will save you 10 times its cost in ammo. Use it and it will cement the basics of the draw, aim and fire sequence at minimal expence at home. Yes, it can also ingrain bad habits too, weak grip, etc. Practice perfect you will get amazingly fast results without tons of ammo. Learn what works best for you. Then learn to run the equipment.

There aren't any shortcuts to becoming proficient with your choice of EDC. But new technologies can make that journey less frustrating, less expensive, and more enjoyable.

It did for me.

Last Edited:
Not sure how there is much of an issue for most to carry a 365, even with an optic, when I carry a S&W M&P Compact 4" or a 5" 1911 most of the time (especially from October to April), at 5' 10" ish. I don't really have a care or dog in the fight for what others carry outside of provide some thought provoking discussions with students on occasion. I actually have a pair of the M&P's now, one with a green dot and one iron sights. Guess I'm very lucky in that not finding it very difficult to transitions to a dot sight. Still not choosing to carry it yet and may never.

To me this is a very personal Ford/Chevy, Ducks/Beavers, Glock/anything else debate. Personally, I'm not fond of a) electronics on a carry gun, b) mounting something by screws to a slide that is pounding back and forth. I may come to get over that and I'm still VERY much at the point that I'm evaluating input from all sources. For instance, I've observed at the Gunsite annual alumni shoot that those with dot sights are at an advantage beyond about 15 yards. I've talked with lots of these folks about the transition and they are extremely happy. However, I know that in real life, self defense shootings are rarely at these distances. And I don't suck with iron sights at them either. So I may get beat knocking steel over at 20 yards against a timer, but is this how I should evaluate my carry rig?

Nice, thought provoking discussion here as well and look forward to learning from others input.

And by the way, this:
The light bulb didn't evolve from constantly improving candles.
...is a gem!

I don't like batteries in guns for situations that may become detrimental to my life. I cant imagine mounting a battery powered scope on a dangerous game rifle, ditto for my concealed carry pistols.
Or when the lens gets covered with mud or brains. Same thing really.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top