Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

New Reading Material

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by apd193, Sep 19, 2011.

1. apd193

apd193 Idaho New Member

So I am looking for new reading material. I read political thrillers mostly, but will read almost anything at least once. Any good fictional books to help unwind the mind at bed time?

2. Kimber Custom

Kimber Custom Vancouver, WA Bronze Vendor Bronze Vendor

I'm a big fan of Mike Resnick. You might check out Purgatory or Ivory.

3. lowly monk

lowly monk Beaverton, Oregon. Just a guy. Bronze Supporter

American shaolin, Polly. Its a hoot.

4. MikeE

MikeE Portland Well-Known Member

Anything by Alan Furst - 'The Blood of Victory' a good place to start. The early days of WW11 and the lead up. Regular people figuring out which side they are on, all the political complications of the real world at that time.

5. carracer

carracer Nampa, Idaho Active Member

"One Second After"

6. billcoe

billcoe PDX Platinum Supporter Platinum Supporter

7. Sling Blade

Sling Blade Yamhill County Well-Known Member

The Road, by Cormac McCarthy, or if you like violent westerns based on history, Blood Meridian by the same author.

8. Vantage

Vantage Pacific Standard Time Active Member

For the record... This is a great thread. I'd love for it to be sticky or something, so we can always come back to it.

My .02

I love Dean Koontz books. Two specific ones that I think would fit in this forum are:

The Good Guy
    And another one is..

The Husband
    Both are quick reads that "take off" right away within the first few pages.

And you either order then brand new off amazon, or find them for a couple buck at your local used book store.

9. 4dogs

4dogs 3 miles from the range Active Member

Author Vince Flynn is highly recommended. He has written a series of CIA thriller-type novels. Read them in sequence, though.

10. Teufel_Hunden

Teufel_Hunden Albany, Oregon Active Member

+1 for Vince Flynn. Also Brad Thor is awesome!

11. jbett98

jbett98 NW Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

"Earth Abides" This book really knocks you back in it's clear vision of what could happen when a biological firestorm of a flu like disease spreads around the globe.
    A post-apocalyptic science fiction novel by American writer George R. Stewart. It tells the story of the fall of civilization from deadly disease and its rebirth. Beginning in the United States in the 1940s, it deals with Isherwood "Ish" Williams, Emma, and the community they founded. The survivors live off the remains of the old world, while learning to adapt to the new. Along the way they are forced to make tough decisions and choose what kind of civilization they will rebuild.
    Written in 1947 but relevant to what could happen in our future.

12. CAL30M1

CAL30M1 Longview, WA Active Member

Great book!

13. KalamaMark

KalamaMark Kalama Wa Well-Known Member

Stephen Hunter ( Point of Impact, Black Light, Time to Hunt, The 47th Samurai, Night of Thunder, I, Sniper, Dead Zero)

Lee Child (Die Trying, Tripwire, Running Blind, Echo Burning, Without Fail, Persuader, The Enemy, One Shot, Bad Luck and Trouble, Nothing to Lose, Gone Tomorrow, 61 Hours, Worth Dying For, The Affair)

Tim Dorsey cracks me up with his bizzaro tales of Florida.

14. RR Rover

RR Rover On the Rogue River New Member

Detective/Crime would be Robert Parker and Robert Tannenbaum. Military is WEB Griffin. Gun-related is Carston Stroud, especially SNIPERS MOON and LIZARD SKIN, and Robert Ruark UHURU, SOMETHING OF VALUE, and USE ENOUGH GUN.

The best hunting/outdoors book I have ever read in my 70+ years is THE OLD MAN AND THE BOY by Robert Ruark. I have given at least 30 copies of this book to men whose kids were reaching the age to be interested in the outdoors and camping and hunting and shooting. He evokes the memories of your first gun, first buck, first hunting dog, and first time being included in the group of men going hunting so vividly and with such warmth that your eyes will get wet. It is a book that every person who considers themselves a sportsman should read and treasure.

15. STNOSU

STNOSU Corvallis Member

I second some of the authors above, if you like the fantasy type things that have an interesting them look at books by SM Stirling. The Emberverse series starts with Dies the Fire, its one of those end of the world series all like an EMP strike over the world. Its set in the Willamette Valley.