JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I found a pretty good deal in an RCBS turret press so I went ahead and ordered it. For the price I figured what the hell. Why not. Got this instead of the bench mounted swage tool. I also got the RCBS base plate as I wanted to be able to swap back and forth between the Rock Chucker and the turret for now. The base plate seems awesome for being able to remove and mount my TrimPro unit as needed to make extra room on the bench.

I mainly only load 223 and 308 with the occasional 30-06. Is there anything that I should be aware of or aquire for the turret press? Not sure if I'm going to get extra heads in the future or not. I like the idea of a turret but the quality of the single stage so I figured this is the best of both worlds and at that price I couldn't pass it up. Maybe it will also push me to reload 9mm in the near future as the time spent won't be so long.

Thanks
James

Last Edited:
Extra turret heads are handy and especially with Rifle, you can get two calibers on one head so you don't need as many.

Room 1a.jpg

Nice setup. Never even thought of having powder measurers for each head. Such a nifty idea. Love the setup. I was definitely thinking about having both 223 and 308 in one head but figured I'd play around with it and see. But definitely like how yours is setup. Nice and clean. Even the wife commented on your setup and suggested I do that as well.

James

Well I got the new press today and we'll I tried it out. Pretty much put it thru its paces. I'm sure it will speed things up some but not as much as I had hoped. For one. The primer system just plain stinks. Absolutely don't like it. The tube gets in the way of everything. And it doesn't always seat the primer good.
Also if the primer system is installed it gets in the way of the uniflow powder measurer unless you turn it in an odd way. I think with the primer system gone things will be better.

Also the primer catch is such a joke on this thing. 2 pieces of plastic that don't even connect together all that well. And it just presses into screw holes. Ohh and if you dump powder into a case and you don't realize a primer wasn't seated then omg. Talk about a major almost impossible disaster of a mess that you have to clean up. Pretty much have to take the entire press apart to get the mess cleaned up. In any case I'm fairly happy with it and I'm sure it will make a nice addition to my workbench

Thanks
James

Ohh I'm sure they will as well. Just minor little annoyances that I have to figure ways to work around or with. For what I paid for something new I can't really complain too much. Lol

James

I've heard that some have had luck with aftermarket used primer catching setups, that said I once made the mistake of dropping a huge charge in my lee....yeah that was a horrendous mess, hopefully never again.

This hobby certainly has a way of expanding, lol I'm on my second turret and set of dies myself

ETA: the lees primer system also sucks huge, I just load by hand. I'm at 50rds every 30min with powder check every 15rds. So it can definitely get quicker the more rhythm you get to it.

Well I got the new press today and we'll I tried it out. Pretty much put it thru its paces. I'm sure it will speed things up some but not as much as I had hoped. For one. The primer system just plain stinks. Absolutely don't like it. The tube gets in the way of everything. And it doesn't always seat the primer good.
Also if the primer system is installed it gets in the way of the uniflow powder measurer unless you turn it in an odd way. I think with the primer system gone things will be better.

Also the primer catch is such a joke on this thing. 2 pieces of plastic that don't even connect together all that well. And it just presses into screw holes. Ohh and if you dump powder into a case and you don't realize a primer wasn't seated then omg. Talk about a major almost impossible disaster of a mess that you have to clean up. Pretty much have to take the entire press apart to get the mess cleaned up. In any case I'm fairly happy with it and I'm sure it will make a nice addition to my workbench

Thanks
James
I do not use the primer system on mine. I have a RCBS bench mounted priming system and it works quite well. I agree with you that the priming system sucks on the press. If you notice in the picture of my press there is no priming system on it.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top