JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
A excellent study of this era of rifle , the rifles and just how to shoot and maintain them is :
The Muzzleloading Cap Lock Rifle by
Ned Roberts....yeah the same guy who invented the .257 Roberts was also very much into muzzle loading rifles...:D
Andy

Being relatively new at muzzle loading rifles, this is the first time I've seen powder being poured into the bore down a long hollow tube.o_O

I can only guess, that this is to keep any powder that may stick to lube in the rifling from fouling and deforming the bullet. ???:)

If I missed the explanation, I'll blame it on not having my hearing aids in and the fellows accent.:(

Some folks pour with a tube because it supposed to make for a more "uniform" / consistent charge...
Mostly it was done historically by target shooters.

Like many things...the rifle will have a large say , if this method works for you.
Andy

Being relatively new at muzzle loading rifles, this is the first time I've seen powder being poured into the bore down a long hollow tube.o_O I can only guess, that this is to keep any powder that may stick to lube in the rifling from fouling and deforming the bullet. ???:)
If I missed the explanation, I'll blame it on not having my hearing aids in and the fellows accent.:(

Almost right, Sir. As well as keeping the charge away from the bore sides - we'll get onto that in a tick - it makes sure that it actually gets into the right place in the chamber. Many rifles of this kind have what is called a Patent or High Pressure breech, which is actually smaller in diameter than the rest of the bore and would therefore tend to generate higher pressure when detonated. Here are two such examples.

1589989253633.png

In target rifle shooting, especially as practiced a long range, the bore is wiped out between shots, the charge of powder is poured down the loading tube, followed by the wad and then then bullet. The bore is then wiped again so that the bullet has a clean run up the barrel and the rifle fired.

Then you do it all over.

He has an accent?

I don't notice.... ;)

Yeah thanks for the video tac
I notice he wasn't wearing glasses, always made me cringe to touch off a cap 8" from my eyes. I then discovered Underhammers. No flash near your eye and falling snow didn't land on the action. My "design" put the touch hole about 1/8" in front of the barrel plug, .045" dia. And I used musket caps the flash only traveled the barrel wall thickness directly into the charge. I also put a sized torch tip cleaner into the charge before capping to drag a small amount of powder back out the touch hole, this also kept lube from blocking flame.
See: Bilinghurst action underhammer

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top