JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I just moved to Oregon from California and don't have an ODL yet. I'm wondering if it's possible to still purchase a firearm with my CDL and proof of residency or something, or if I just need to wait until I get my ODL.

I'm new to Portland but not new to guns. I've got pistols, revolvers, AR15s, a shotgun, etc. Some are for SD but most are for fun.

I'm thinking the best thing to do is go to an LSG and they should know but I've found that not all gun stores know the law 100%. Any way, if anyone knows definitively one way or the other I appreciate the help.

Call Tigard Pawn...they are a very good FFL crew...
Agreed. Tigard Pawn 4 More. They will be able to answer you question and know what ID will and will not work.

Last time I talked to one of their staff he said they do more transfers monthly than any other FFL in Oregon.

Last time I talked to one of their staff he said they do more transfers monthly than any other FFL in Oregon.

I believe it. I've tried to call around to a few other FFLs, and many have stopped doing private transfers since the background check delays are forcing them to hold inventory they don't own and won't make more money off of. I'm sure there are other options, but I've given up on trying to find any that are in as convenient of a location for me.

I believe it. I've tried to call around to a few other FFLs, and many have stopped doing private transfers since the background check delays are forcing them to hold inventory they don't own and won't make more money off of. I'm sure there are other options, but I've given up on trying to find any that are in as convenient of a location for me.

Just spoke to Tigard Pawn; and, they're still doing private party transfers.

I was living/working in Wilsonville with a 2 year contract and bought guns at Tigard Pawn.
I just brought my rental lease and a utility bill for that address as proof of residency.
That was back in 2009-2010 though.
just sayin',
:D

If yer lookin' for an FFL "A Cut Above Pawn" in Beaverton has been friendly, efficient and $25.00 when I've been there.

They do NOT hold a gun in their possession while waiting for a BGC to clear.

They do NOT hold a gun in their possession while waiting for a BGC to clear.

Which confuses me. So you meet, do the paperwork, then the seller keeps the gun. After the BGC is approved, shouldn't it be in the buyers possession, as the legal owner? What about that time frame between the approval and the second meet to actually transfer possession? How would you even go about exchanging money on that deal? I don't start the transfer process until cash is in my hand, and I surely wouldn't pay someone for a gun, then let them take it home.

A pawn shop in Vancouver tried to do this on a transfer I was doing...

Which confuses me. So you meet, do the paperwork, then the seller keeps the gun. After the BGC is approved, shouldn't it be in the buyers possession, as the legal owner? What about that time frame between the approval and the second meet to actually transfer possession? How would you even go about exchanging money on that deal? I don't start the transfer process until cash is in my hand, and I surely wouldn't pay someone for a gun, then let them take it home.

A pawn shop in Vancouver tried to do this on a transfer I was doing...

That's just the way it is. For the shop to take possession of the gun in the interim requires paperwork, for every gun. Some shops aren't going to take on the extra work. A Cut Above Pawn. Some do, Tigard pawn 4 More and Money Market Pawn. I don't know why I would have to have the money before the 4447 get's filled out? I would be taking the gun home in the interim if I were the seller.

That's just the way it is. For the shop to take possession of the gun in the interim requires paperwork, for every gun. Some shops aren't going to take on the extra work. A Cut Above Pawn. Some do, Tigard pawn 4 More and Money Market Pawn. I don't know why I would have to have the money before the 4447 get's filled out? I would be taking the gun home in the interim if I were the seller.

The way I understand it, is even though Oregon doesn't have a "registry", they can track who last bought a gun. Once the paperwork is complete, they are the "owner", but you would be in possession. Also, as I understood it, with private transfers, the FFL takes them in as inventory (required), then sells (transfers) them to the buyer.

I was just at Tigard Pawn and they make things work for you. Legally of course. Might need a few more documents but they submit several to make sure you don't get turned down. Can't say if I've ever seen another FFL work this hard. Good luck.

Welcome to NWFA. :)

Congrats on your escape from kommiefornia! :s0155:
The gun laws in CA are not as bad as most people think. A lot of people don't understand the roster, it only applies to new guns, you can buy any make/model used. Also the rifle laws are confusing. So misinformation gets spread around. I legally owned magazine with capacity higher than 10 rounds because of what the gun community was calling "freedoms week". I also owned AR15s with detachable magazines, I always went the featureless route so I could use my 20 and 30 round mags legally. If the rifle had fixed magazine it had to be 10 rounds. The laws are really confusing and it would take me hours to explain them.

But it is a bunch of BS and the real problem is the Politicians in Sacramento have potential to make it worse. However there are a bunch of law suites challenging a bunch of laws and we all need them to go our way to keep these stupid laws out of other states. Any one who thinks these laws won't spill over is being ignorant. (Sorry to be crass but it's true).

And thanks for the LGS suggestion. I will look into those. When I get an answer I will share.

Also, as I understood it, with private transfers, the FFL takes them in as inventory (required),

A Cut Above Pawn does not take the gun in as inventory, unless there is a way to do it only on paper? Where the "Transferrer" takes the gun home with him while waiting for the "Transferee" to get the go ahead to take possession.

I'm blessed that I've never had to deal with any of this cluster. Last gun I purchased was OK'ed in a few minutes, presumably because of my CCP.

I lived in Califruitopia for about 15 years. IMHO, the anti gun laws in cali are just as bad as people think they are. There are pockets of sunshine with freedom week but generally it is rainy and nasty. It was highly restrictive when I lived there and it has gotten worse. In cali you have to jump around doing stuff that infringes your rights and makes a firearm less safe to use just to use a magazine that the firearm was designed to use!

In Oregon you can buy a suppressor, destructive device, SBR, SBS, or machine gun, as many high and standard cap mags as you want without modifying your firearm in any way to be legally allowed to use them. Go get your CHL with just a class, a clean record and a few bucks. No reason necessary and you don't need deep pockets. Buy ammo anywhere from anyone. Firearms don't have to be onna roster, just buy what you like and what you can afford. Hell, build your own as long as you follow the law!

There will always be lawsuits challenging something. Many will go nowhere. I don't hold my breath as most seem to be lately symbolic.

Yes, the dark cloud will spread. With that I urge you to embrace your new home and leave the old state behind. Enjoy what Oregon has to offer and support the positives and the values of the state, not just the city you live in. I say this because I've been in your shoes and I have seen places I used to live in this state become nearly unrecognizable due to the influx of people bringing the places they wanted to get away from with them.

Last Edited:
I bought a handgun last summer. I met the seller at Tropic's Pawn in Orchards. Inspected the firearm and paid him. Tropic's did the paper work and kept the gun until I cleared the background checks. Ten days if I remember right. They called and I picked up my purchase.
I asked, "What if I didn't pass the background checks?" They said they would keep the gun and work to find out why I didn't pass or sell the gun for me on consignment.

I think my fastest approval from A Cut Above Pawn was 10 minutes, walking in and walking out, that was last week.

I did a trade, where I was instant and the other party wasn't. We had to wait until they were approved, meet at the same time. He had to sign another section of the 4473 and at that point all of the paperwork was completed. Then we traded and walked out.

Apparently, there is a section of the 4473 that covers the scenario where a person has to wait after submitting initially. I've never personally seen it that I can remember.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top