JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Today I'm doing my first review of a firearm and the gun in question is the Para-USA Black Ops Recon.

specs and stuff:
4.25in ramped barrel
match hammer
match trigger
front and rear slide serrations'
25 lines per inch checkering
ambidextrous safety
Ion bond finish
Steel frame steel slide
Full length guide rod
Tac-rail
MSRP 1299.00

first impressions:
open the hard plastic box you have your typical paperwork, lock, extra mag and the pistol. First thing I notice when I pick this gun up is that the grip feels great for being a 14 round double stack mag. finish is great and the gun is sexy. The finish looks tough and everything locks up tight. The grips keep your hand in place and provide a positive feel.

Carry:
I figured id take it out to see how it carried. The grips are very rough on the skin so I recommend a undershirt, also the safety flipped off 3 times in the 3 days i carried it. The holster and grip safety gave me some comfort but was still unnerved by it.

Range day:
Fired 200 rounds of federal 230gr fmj, and 50 pdx-1 jhp
Fired at 5, 10, and 20 yards all from a standing position with about 2 seconds between each shot.
Results,
5 yard:
10 yard:
20 yard:
This gun is really accurate for me ( I'm no pro)

Reliability:
This gun Has a 500 round break-in period so I'm halfway through but I experienced zero malfunctions and every round went bang. Next time I go out I'll shoot the cheaper aluminum and see how that goes.

Final Thoughts:
This pistol is accurate, easy to carry, fun, and so far reliable. I think the features are exactly what they should be in a mid-level 1911, and I bought this over others because the idea of 14+1 without much of a grip increase makes me feel warm inside.
my only issue with the gun is that the safety kept slipping but maybe a better holster or a new spring would solve that problem.

Last Edited:
still waiting for the girl scout recon black ops seal team model

Yes yours needs to be in "Muddy Girl" camo too!

Nice report Bakersman!

I haven't had your fortunes with mine. Mine is a pleasure to hold and shoot, accurate too. I do have feeding issues that could be from the width of the grip and my weakened wrist (Broke pinned and plated) and because of that I am "Limp wristing" mine. I have no problem with a single stack 1911, but I have had a little problem with my EAA Witness 10MM not locking back empty so it could be my wrist is just not up to specs.

I am going to have a friend put a 100 rounds thru the Recon to confirm.

I'm holding out for the Para-USA Black Ops Recon Special forces Operator Delta Stealth Seal team six Broken Arrow SWAT EOD FBI DEA CIA Black death Air martial model! In pink of course. :D

Just funning.

You can fix the safety buy working on the safety detent.

Last Edited:
''also the safety flipped off 3 times in the 3 days i carried it''.

If the safety is to easy to disengage you will find yourself carrying a cocked and unlocked gun. When you thought it was cocked and locked.

The safety lock plunger is forced into the safety indent buy the spring in the safety spring assembly.
The effort required to engage or disengage the safety [really called a safety lock on the 1911] can be adjusted buy exaggerating or changing the depth and size of the indent on the safety.

Well I had mine back to the range three times or so, can never get through a complete magazine without two or more stoppages I am NOT a happy camper, and it is not me causing the trouble.

I have the same handgun but the 5 inch model. It is one of the most accurate 1911's I've shot especially for a double stack. I didn't start having feed issues until I shot Speer Lawman FMJ brass case ammo. It would not load the first several rounds in a full mag. I inspected the rounds that would not feed and noticed the bullets were pushed into the casing. Maybe it was a crimping issue with the ammo, not sure. Or maybe these rounds did not like the feed ramp. I went back to my other ammo and had no issues whatsoever.

I have used a variety of ammunition, but most 230 grain hard ball, I have had many rounds pushed in. I do not try those again as it has changed the dynamics of the round.

I have not tried many HP or truncated cone style either I have a lot of 45 I might look and see if I can find a different bullet shape and testo testo!

Well It still hates me, I tried some PMC 185 grain JHP with truncated cone style and fired three rounds in seven attempts. Not happy

I haven't had the issues you have had but I am sending mine back just to be safe. I called them and they were actually surprised I was having these issues for a Black Ops. Any way, they are sending me a packet to return it for service. I'm hoping that I get it back in a timely matter.

I don't have the Black Ops, but the Elite Commander. Just a plain old single stack, match barrel, etc. Runs like a champ. Haven't had any malfunctions / misfeeds with any factory loads, but had a couple of hiccups with handloads, and that was my issue, not the pistols. Even the Federal aluminum case hardballs ran through with no problem. So far about 4000 rounds through it and it purrs like a kitten.

My gun seems to have the rounds hitting the frame just below the barrel's ramp, sometimes catching the nose of the round, or the lip of the brass, or both, and that seems to cause the round to jump up to hit the top of the barrel and jam.

It is as if the magazines are not positioned properly in the gun, likr they are just a smidge short.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top