JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

This is assuming the OP is even thinking about, or considering self defense with a firearm.

Maybe he bought the gun due to interest, possibly for sport and recreation and self defense wasn't a part of the equation.

Maybe we should keep it to the basics of he OPs original question which was was, 'what are some common mistakes and pitfalls new owners might run into ?' - and not launch into the complexities and considerations about self defense with a firearm - unless that does become a question.
I figure this thread is for all newcomers to guns who might like more about safety than is available in the first-taught handful of simplistic rules. Thread is not just for the OP. Most of those who are getting their first guns now are doing so in response to riots and covid and unwillingness or inability of politicians and/or police in some areas to enforce laws and even try to protect citizens. So I expect most newcomers to guns to care about the issue of use of guns for self defense. And its clear that many others who replied here agree, and emphasized , for example, in multiple ways, not letting a gun make you macho or make you feel invulnerable.

I view these threads as conversations, and attempts to restrict or narrow conversation by anyone, even the OP in most cases, as inappropriate. (Unless post is clearly off topic.) I also figure that those uninterested in any particular post can skip it. The feedback on the posts about broader aspects of safety such as attitudes and self defense makes it obvious that many participating in this conversation consider those topics appropriate.

Last Edited:
One of the kinds of mistakes I've made is modifying guns in ways that were counterproductive.

I put a scope on a 4-inch Colt .357 revolver. That made the gun inconvenient to carry. In addition, with the muzzle so close to the scope, the forward lense would get fouled from the muzzle. In addition, I did nearly all my shooting from offhand. And having a scope when shooting offhand was no help because it is general shakiness of the position that limits accuracy for me in offhand rather than ability to see the sights or target. Most people can generally only improve their precision by adding a scope to a handgun when shooting from bench rest or other stable positions. I had spent a couple hundred dollars on the scope and mount. It was adding teats to a boar. Generally, it's more useful to scope only a handgun that has a barrel at least 6 inches long, and that is going to be shot primarily from positions more stable than offhand.

I also had a beautiful 6-inch Colt Anaconda .44mag MagnaPorted. I didn't realize that Magna porting directs more noise back toward the shooter. Turns out I hated the extra noise much more than I cared about any reduction in recoil. In addition, the slits in the barrel from the porting fill with burned powder and are a nuisance to clean. I'd read about Magna porting in articles in gun magazines, all of which made it sound like Magna porting was a total virtue with no down side. After the porting, I couldn't fire the gun even once without hearing protection (such as when hunting) without my ears ringing for a good while after. I sold the gun. I still feel a little sick about ruining it for my purposes.

Last Edited:
For all the people confused about what went wrong. This thread ended up being a lot more useful then I'd expected. I'm not sure I'll be taking every piece of advice. All of my guns are arguably 'cheap' (security-9, charles daly shotgun, cimmeron revolver) but i've still enjoyed using and learning about them. As I get more into the hobby I notice the amount I'm willing to spend is increasing quite quickly though, hehe. I've done range safety classes but I would really like to get a bench workshop taking apart the guns, cleaning them, etc...

View attachment 886009
Hello @hellotyler . You couldn't possibly take all our advice since some of it is contradictory. :)

As for your first guns, you have a SA revolver, a shotgun, and a Ruger semiautomatic in 9mm. The Ruger gives you a practical EDC in a good self-defense caliber. A shotgun is a good practical gun. You could have done a whole lot worse.

The first gun I ever bought for myself was a Gillespie .22 semiautomatic, a gun that just had a vague groove as a sight. A so-called Saturday Night Special I bought the day after getting attacked by two big guys and scaring them off with nothing but bluff, a coke bottle, and luck. I didnt have enough money to buy anything except a cheap .22. The gun cost just $50, all I had then. But it functioned flawlessly. About a week later I used that gun to chase off a guy who was trying to come in through my window. He didn't complain and refuse to leave because the gun wasn't classier.

(Yes, it was an unusually dangerous place to live, a student ghetto that was just sectioned off WWII quonset huts. The area had seemed safe enough until the break between terms, when the entire area emptied and my two room section at the end of one hut became the only occupied place within blocks. I stayed between terms because I was working my way through college (University of Florida), so couldn't leave just because classes were done. And I was too poor to go anywhere anyway. The door was so flimsy I could have pushed it off its hinges myself. I owned no TV or anything valuable. Nobody living in those huts had anything worth stealing. Both attacks were at night, on the one lit up occupied place within blocks.)

Good job doing range safety classes. I suggest you start on getting your concealed permit right away. It should be pretty easy to learn to take down your shotgun and Security 9. If you don't have an owners manual for a gun you can usually find one on line. Most revolvers are not really intended to be taken apart by the owner. Yeah. As you become familiar with more and better guns you tend to want more and better guns. That's inevitable. :)

NEW or older gun people:

Be careful on how and where you store your factory and/or reloaded CF, RF and shotgun ammunition.

(How much are you storing?)

Be careful on How and Where you store your reloading supplies IF you choose to reload.

Be careful on how and where you store any Black Powder supplies too.

Later on, I may choose to put up a news story that happened up in NW MT. The news told some of the story properly but NOT all of it. It happened the other day.

It may offend some people so maybe I will NOT put it up in another section.

It was an extremely bad fire.

One Volunteer Fireman who got BADLY BURNED was sent to Seattle. He is lucky to be alive.

Other people are lucky to be alive.

Another man, VF, is home and nursing his injuries, his blisters, etc. We know him.

The news did NOT tell the entire story accurately. Go figure!

TWO shipping containers with ammunition in each container, one for rifle, one for pistols, were 60 FEET away from the home BEFORE the house exploded. I do NOT know how much ammo was in EACH 40 feet (?) long container. I think that our friend said each one was 40 feet long. TYPICAL sized ones if my memory is correct.

There were NO SIGNS stating hazardous material or any other warning SIGNS were up.
One VF did know that those shipping containers did have ammo in each one. HE WARNED every person once he got to the scene. He was NOT sure how much ammo was in EACH CONTAINER.

NO SIGNS were up about the BLACK POWDER supplies on the same property. I do NOT know how far (FEET wise.) the B/P supplies were stored AWAY from those shipping containers OR the house that exploded/burned up.

NO one was IN the home. An out of state owner (WA state.) owns the destroyed home and 20 acres of land.

Neighbors and trees were around the ABSENT WA state owner's land and home.

The Sheriff said that BP was on fire PLUS the shipping containers and the house.

One VF said that the BP did not go OFF but the containers and the house went OFF and there were LOUD EXPLOSIONS (Two immediately!) and others followed.

THINGS rocked and fell off shelves. The entire area shook and so did our friend's home nearby.

The sounds and the rocking were FELT from the Noxon area to Bull River. Maybe further.

There was another VERY BAD house fire one or two years ago up there too.

There have been other fires in various areas all over up there and IN STATE people and out of state people causing problems in and out of that tiny town and EXTREMELY rural and REMOTE area which do not belong in this thread.

Theft, drugs, beating up people who complained to the Sheriff's Department, etc.

They do have SOME very involved citizens who CARE and watch out for one another but that is NOT stopping the crime and strange things from happening caused by in state criminals, out of state criminals and the cartels.

The MT state troopers, other peace officers and even .gov officials are talking about the corridor of crime AND the cartels.

A transplant (Deputy.) from another part of MT to Sanders County told a resident (We know the resident.) that the EMPTY place could have been used by some criminal or a gang and he or THEY broke in and THEY might have been making some kind of drugs.

BUT the deputy was not positive but when he was TOLD how the explosions happened, the sounds and the roof caving in on the house PLUS all of the other fires with the containers... he thinks that could be what happened.

I do not KNOW all of the fire teams that were up there but there were MANY of them and I think that some Forest Service people might have come in to HELP too. I am NOT positive there.

Plus they have had arsonists UP there, across the state and even around in this college town too. IN our local and state news.

Be careful with your supplies.

Old Lady Cate

Last Edited:
New Owner Advice.

While you may be proud of your recently acquired freedom dispenser, don't advertise to your friends, neighborhood, or youtube about your arsenal. Keep stickers and swag on your bench or toolbox, not in your truck window. Low key is key.

Take online advice with a grain of salt. There are a lot of good people in the firearms community, but there are also quite a few duds. "I saw it on Northwest Firearms", or "someone on AR15.com told me", is not a solid legal or investment strategy.

Professional training is only as good as the trainer...and your goals. Vet the trainer. Match the courses to your needs. Bazooka 101 isn't going to help you with pistol handling or concealed carry. Don't buy into any civilian training that implies that it will turn you into a "Tier 1" ninja operator.

Get involved and stay vigilant in defending your constitutional rights, there are always people looking to take those rights away.

Vet any club or organization you consider joining. There are good. There are bad. There are ineffective. And there are freakshows. Leave the LARPing to the Renaissance Faire.

Recommendations on equipment, accessories, et.al. are almost always personal, often subjective, and options are extremely numerous. People may have strong opinions but remember you may be getting advice from anyone, from John Rambo -fresh from his third deployment to Afghanistan to Jimmy Playstation -fresh from his turd deployment to his parent's basement bathroom.

Consider getting CCW insurance. It's traumatic enough if you ever need to use your firearm in self-defense. It is worse if you also have to defend yourself in court.

NEW or older gun people:

Be careful on how and where you store your factory and/or reloaded CF, RF and shotgun ammunition.

(How much are you storing?)

Be careful on How and Where you store your reloading supplies IF you choose to reload.

Be careful on how and where you store any Black Powder supplies too.

Later on, I may choose to put up a news story that happened up in NW MT. The news told some of the story properly but NOT all of it. It happened the other day.

It may offend some people so maybe I will NOT put it up in another section.

It was an extremely bad fire.

One Volunteer Fireman who got BADLY BURNED was sent to Seattle. He is lucky to be alive.

Other people are lucky to be alive.

Another man, VF, is home and nursing his injuries, his blisters, etc. We know him.

The news did NOT tell the entire story accurately. Go figure!

TWO shipping containers with ammunition in each container, one for rifle, one for pistols, were 60 FEET away from the home BEFORE the house exploded. I do NOT know how much ammo was in EACH 40 feet (?) long container. I think that our friend said each one was 40 feet long. TYPICAL sized ones if my memory is correct.

There were NO SIGNS stating hazardous material or any other warning SIGNS were up.
One VF did know that those shipping containers did have ammo in each one. HE WARNED every person once he got to the scene. He was NOT sure how much ammo was in EACH CONTAINER.

NO SIGNS were up about the BLACK POWDER supplies on the same property. I do NOT know how far (FEET wise.) the B/P supplies were stored AWAY from those shipping containers OR the house that exploded/burned up.

NO one was IN the home. An out of state owner (WA state.) owns the destroyed home and 20 acres of land.

Neighbors and trees were around the ABSENT WA state owner's land and home.

The Sheriff said that BP was on fire PLUS the shipping containers and the house.

One VF said that the BP did not go OFF but the containers and the house went OFF and there were LOUD EXPLOSIONS (Two immediately!) and others followed.

THINGS rocked and fell off shelves. The entire area shook and so did our friend's home nearby.

The sounds and the rocking were FELT from the Noxon area to Bull River. Maybe further.

There was another VERY BAD house fire one or two years ago up there too.

There have been other fires in various areas all over up there and IN STATE people and out of state people causing problems in and out of that tiny town and EXTREMELY rural and REMOTE area which do not belong in this thread.

Theft, drugs, beating up people who complained to the Sheriff's Department, etc.

They do have SOME very involved citizens who CARE and watch out for one another but that is NOT stopping the crime and strange things from happening caused by in state criminals, out of state criminals and the cartels.

The MT state troopers, other peace officers and even .gov officials are talking about the corridor of crime AND the cartels.

A transplant (Deputy.) from another part of MT to Sanders County told a resident (We know the resident.) that the EMPTY place could have been used by some criminal or a gang and he or THEY broke in and THEY might have been making some kind of drugs.

BUT the deputy was not positive but when he was TOLD how the explosions happened, the sounds and the roof caving in on the house PLUS all of the other fires with the containers... he thinks that could be what happened.

I do not KNOW all of the fire teams that were up there but there were MANY of them and I think that some Forest Service people might have come in to HELP too. I am NOT positive there.

Plus they have had arsonists UP there, across the state and even around in this college town too. IN our local and state news.

Be careful with your supplies.

Old Lady Cate
There is more information coming out about this case.

I may or may not put this in another section.

There IS an ongoing investigation going on from what I gather.

So the POINT is - be careful with your supplies from a to z.

The fire and DANGER to people and property were much worse than the initial reports that I heard first hand and, of course, from the NEWS.

Cate

I'm keeping my ammo in a locked box specifically for ammo. I thought that was how you're supposed to do it if you don't have a full sized gun-safe. Do you need to store it with warnings or something ?

.... Do you need to store it with warnings or something ?
NO.

Ammunition is a minimal risk to first responders, less so if they are properly kitted up (turnout gear, headgear, eyes).

Ammunition chambered in a firearm, in a fire, is a risk. Same risk as a negligent discharge.

Ammunition setting in boxes/magazines in your house / shop? Minimal risk.

No idea on what @Catherine1 is going on about above. Sounds like do bad folks doing bad, to me (like butane/propane/meth drug cooking/making etc). No context in this thread.

Last Edited:
There will be times when you are shooting with other people and there is no RO (Range Officer) present.
You have to police yourself in that case.

When the range is declared "cold" and people are downrange to service their targets and you are back near the "line"... STEP AWAY FROM THE SHOOTING AREA (TABLES, BENCHES ETC) AND DO NOT TOUCH ANY FIREARMS UNTIL EVERYONE IS BACK AT THE LINE.

"cold" range means you are under a cease fire.
"line" means area where you shoot from.
I had the experience at the gun range years ago when I was just getting into shooting. You had to wait at a gate and have the range officer let you in. They had a set of red lights that would turn on when range was going go, "cold". You had to unload your weapon, and leave the cylinder open, or the slide open on semi-auto pistols.

The range officer who sat in the middle would walk down both firing be sure the guns were unloaded. I was firing pistol so we would be on the right of range officer and rifles and shotguns would be on the left side.

We had to stand behind a line on the floor as well outside the firing line. Once the range was cold we could change our targets out.

^^^I applaud your ability to adapt to rules designed to keep multiple people safe^^^

I do not enjoy that level of oversight and am fortunate enough to live outside of the Metro area so I do not have to.

Just my opinion and I am not posting it to argue but the most common mistake is guns are a machine and you need to learn how to use them before you have to use them.

Have a great day folks, ain't this fun. :)

New Reloader mistake....make sure your shell holder/plate is on before running your case into the resizing die :( My first and only stuck case while reloading. I even adjusted the die down because it was so far away. Never even realized I removed the shell holder the evening before causing the die to seem so far away.

Listening to "experts..."
Some of the worst advice I've ever heard has come from self proclaimed experts with the utmost confidence.

Also, always abide by the three most important rules; always point in a safe direction, finger off the trigger, treat every gun as tho it were loaded.

One gun does not do it all, so buy a few!

Ammo is a good thing to have plenty of, so are accessories like magazines and small parts.

All the fancy "gucci" parts will not make you a better shot. Learn to use what you have well.

My personal experience as a newbie is to step away for a minute if you are too excited.

My buddies had a table of guns when we went shooting and told me to use anything I wanted.

I accidentally had my finger on the trigger 2 or 3 times, I almost dropped a loaded gun 2 or 3 times.

Accidentally touched the barrel of an SKS after firing 10 shots. Sizzle.

The ground was rocky and I slipped a couple times while walking to the shooting spot. Your hand automatically clenches when you slip. Luckily my finger was not on the trigger. Could have easily accidentally shot myself in the leg or foot.

Had one shell stick in the barrel of an old .22 Momentary temptation to look down the barrel. I resisted.

Did not wear sunscreen, sunburned my ears.

I did bring eye protection, they had ear protection.

Had one small piece of debris from a .22 ricochet hit my cheek from 30ft away. No injury just a startle. Could have easily caused an eye injury if I had been unprotected and it hit 2" higher. Maybe it's a one in 10,000 chance but it will happen eventually. When it does, I will have eye protection on :)

Wait, you are a newbie, and you walk around a range with a loaded gun without the safety on? Who let you do that? How was that a good idea?

Noob = ONE gun on the table. When you've demonstrated that you are safe to handle it, then shoot it.

A 'table of guns' and told to use anything you wanted? How much did you know about ANY of the guns you shot? It would seem obvious to most folks, IMO, that a gun barrel is going to get hot after firing ten shots through it.....

I'm stopping right there, well aware that we do things very differently here, and your experiences are so far outside my remit that it would not be appropriate for me to make any further comments.

Wait, you are a newbie, and you walk around a range with a loaded gun without the safety on? Who let you do that? How was that a good idea?

Noob = ONE gun on the table. When you've demonstrated that you are safe to handle it, then shoot it.

A 'table of guns' and told to use anything you wanted? How much did you know about ANY of the guns you shot? It would seem obvious to most folks, IMO, that a gun barrel is going to get hot after firing ten shots through it.....

I'm stopping right there, well aware that we do things very differently here, and your experiences are so far outside my remit that it would not be appropriate for me to make any further comment
Safety was on every time, was not at a range, out in the hills at a shooting location. They were on my bubblegum with advice and directions :)
It was safe enough. Just wanted to share my insights :)

I'm stopping right there, well aware that we do things very differently here, and your experiences are so far outside my remit that it would not be appropriate for me to make any further comments.
Out here in the Wild West there are sometimes groups of undisciplined shooters out in the forest as described above.
We have to fill out a Federal form #4473 to purchase a firearm, but sadly no one lifts the hood (bonnet) and checks for a functioning brain.

There are many, many disciplined shooters out in the Wild West as well.
These shooters can often be seen picking up the trash left behind by the un-schooled.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top