JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
If you've never lived here before, I'm sure that you'll enjoy it. As stated previously, downtown Portland seems to be the epicenter of stupid, so avoid it at all costs. There is a large Russian/Ukrainian population south of Portland, a Latin population that seems to favor east Portland to parts of Gresham and various gang-bangers that live in the NE part of town. Portland is a racial and ethnically diverse population and their culture and society make the town a very flavorful place to live.

Don't forget all the Finns in Astoria!!!

What are your thoughts on Hood River?
Hood River will be a brutal commute in winter. Start with checking out Boring, Orient, Damascus, Sandy. Troutdale might be worth checking out, just be prepared for more noticeable icy winters with blowing wind. The 5 years I was in Texas spoiled me. I hope you'll grow to enjoy the Northwest. Many positives here. This forum is a great place to make friends with like minded folks. Wishing you much success with your new job!

Don't listen to the guy saying Hood River is a hard commute... it's complete BS.

I commute from HR to NE PDX (swan island) daily... it's an easy commute -- spring / summer / fall / winter

I used to live in SE PDX -- and the time it takes me to go the 60 miles from HR to Swan island --- is the EXACT same time in minutes that it took to drive the 10 miles from SE given all the local traffic. (city traffic is horrible)

From Hood River, i can make the 55-60 mile journey (depending on path) in about 1 hour in moderate traffic on good day, 1:15 on a bad. Because 84 is fast moving once you are 12 miles out of the city -- hammer down.

Heading in to portland it's easy to use traffic aware GPS and avoid slowdowns. Many routes. For me, I Just get off at Marine Drive in troutdale and avoid all the carnage of the 205 merge and 84 / 5 interchange.

Bonus, if you have a car with any kind of lane keeping ability -- and radar assist cruise control... it's the easiest drive. If you have a tesla like my neighbors --- it's set it and forget it simple.

Winter time -- no problems. You just need a set of Nokian Hak studless tires for the 2 weeks there is any snow on 84... they work so amazing.

Last Edited:
As a Texan, you should have moved to the "right" side of the state.

Unless you are from Austin, in which case you are in the correct place.

:p;):D

Moved here because I hired on to a very nice job. There's some weirdos but most of the people have actually been very nice and I've been able to talk about guns and fishing to quite a few strangers. Still think it's a beautiful area and a few hipsters don't scare me. If I hate it I can always move.

As a Texan, you should have moved to the "right" side of the state.

Unless you are from Austin, in which case you are in the correct place.

:p;):D

In my experience most Texans are normal... and it's really the fringe element that is a problem. Just like oregon is normal, and it's just the fringe element that stands out --- but that's a minority of people.

Just like oregon is normal, and it's just the fringe element that stands out --- but that's a minority of people.

If it's a minority of people, how and why do the anti-gunners keep winning the vote/elections/measures/laws???

I know Austin from reputation and news stories, I know others from TexasGunTalk.com and yes I would say people like those in Austin are a minority. For now. But the disease is spreading.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top