JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Welcome! Have no idea what you are looking for - rent or buy, in town or out in a more rural area. I would consider living to the east around Sandy, or some other small town in that direction to get out of the megalopolis. If SHTF, may be able to go east past Govt Camp to get away from the zombies. ;)

When I was new here, I was glad to find the Tri-County Gun Club, but it's on the opposite side (SW) of the Portland area. I'm sure others will offer up good shooting resources closer to Troutdale.

Welcome.

Welcome Aboard. Glad you found the forum.

Thanks for standing up and raising your hand to serve.

This is the best place to hang out on the internet.

Once we're able to start using the public lands again, check out the organized clean ups. It's the best way to meet the community and learn where and how to use public lands responsibly.

Until then check out Trash No Land.

I do love Texas but I got a great job opportunity in Oregon. Oregon seems like an awesome place to live other than the Portland hippies so I'm gonna give it a shot. In the long run I'm going to settle down in Texas.

We're from South Carolina, we said about the same thing back in 1995... at this point can't see gong back to the heat and humidity.

Welcome to NWFA DisplacedTexan! I'd check out places to live south and east of Troutdale. The wind blows cold in Troutdale in the winter and the smell of the Camas wind isn't particularly pleasant in the cooler months. The area surrounding the town of Boring or Sandy are decent and I know a few people that live in the south eastern fringes of Gresham that like it. Living in the city - well, you've heard others' thoughts on that, Best of luck finding a suitable place that will make your life in Oregon all it can be!

Welcome to NWFA DisplacedTexan! I'd check out places to live south and east of Troutdale. The wind blows cold in Troutdale in the winter and the smell of the Camas wind isn't particularly pleasant in the cooler months. The area surrounding the town of Boring or Sandy are decent and I know a few people that live in the south eastern fringes of Gresham that like it. Living in the city - well, you've heard others' thoughts on that, Best of luck finding a suitable place that will make your life in Oregon all it can be!
What are your thoughts on Hood River?

What are your thoughts on Hood River?

Nah, Id say you want to stay out of The Gorge. Unless you don't mind the long commute? The winter winds, snow, ice can get pretty brutal up there. There are a lot of people that love the The Gorge though. I think the above was thinking places like Boring, Damascus, Orient, the outer Gresham areas. Clackamas County. One thing about potland though is you'll be on the roads with some of the dumbest, most inattentive, rude , self centered people you will ever have the displeasure to be forced to deal with. The city has made it a goal to slow/stall traffic to the point people will stop driving in favor of terribly insufficient mass transit. Portland charges extra gas taxes and puts them to other uses than aiding traffic flow. Part of that plan is allowing roads to be in worse shape than states that freeze/thaw hundreds of times a year, and use salt.

Welcome to the forum. It will be a good thing to have another firearm enthusiast here. And from Texas to boot! :s0155:

Last Edited:
Avoid any commute between West side and East side. When I worked at Genentech in Hillsboro, we had a light dusting of snow one evening and it took me 2-1/2 hours to get home to Gresham. When I worked at Facebook in Prineville, it took me 2-1/2 hours to drive from Gresham and no 54.3mph Prius Karens to deal with.

Welcome
You will find, people can be friendly here, but not Texas friendly. The hospitality isn't anything like I've experienced in Texas.
Barbecue here *sucks* in comparison.
If you have the Austin Autism form of liberalism, you will be right at home in Portland.
How will they see ACAB written on my forehead when I'm rockin a Make America Great Again baseball cap?
On your cheek then, and at your detention/arraignment, claim the MAGA hat was bait for Proud Boys.
One thing about potland though is you'll be on the roads with some of the dumbest, most inattentive, rude , self centered people you will ever have the displeasure to be forced to deal with. The city has made it a goal to slow/stall traffic
Try driving in Missoula....

Welcome
You will find, people can be friendly here, but not Texas friendly. The hospitality isn't anything like I've experienced in Texas.
Barbecue here *sucks* in comparison.
If you have the Austin Autism form of liberalism, you will be right at home in Portland.

On your cheek then, and at your detention/arraignment, claim the MAGA hat was bait for Proud Boys.
Try driving in Missoula....

Moving here from Utah in '83 I was blown away with how friendly and accepting the people in Portland were of newcomers. That's changed NOW though. When I don't know exactly, but it's nothing like it was.

Man, I haven't driven anywhere but potland, and down Salt Lake City and back in over 30 years. :( I LOVED the driving in Utah. They're much more on the ball than in potland, these days.

Welcome aboard! Troutdale is a beautiful place in the summer, and it's one of the better Portland suburbs. The near-constant winter wind and occasional ice can be a challenge though. I grew up in the areas south of there, Boring/Sandy and places nearby; they are great rural alternatives to living in the metro areas of Multnomah county.

Good to have you around!

Moving here from Utah in '83 I was blown away with how friendly and accepting the people in Portland were of newcomers. That's changed NOW though. When I don't know exactly, but it's nothing like it was.

Man, I haven't driven anywhere but potland, and down Salt Lake City and back in over 30 years. :( I LOVED the driving in Utah. They're much more on the ball than in potland, these days.
I fear driving with the Mormons through Salt Lake City! I travel that route twice a year going to AZ and coming home. Those folks are fearless, driving at speeds that could launch a jet fighter. I'll bet none of them are late for work or church! However, Utah is stunningly beautiful and the citizens are quite pleasant. It also seems exceptionally clean.

I fear driving with the Mormons through Salt Lake City! I travel that route twice a year going to AZ and coming home. Those folks are fearless, driving at speeds that could launch a jet fighter. I'll bet none of them are late for work or church! However, Utah is stunningly beautiful and the citizens are quite pleasant. It also seems exceptionally clean.

That's what I like about it! That's the way it used to be here. SoCal, used to be people moving down the road. When I drive It's usually because I need to be somewhere.. I don't drive like crazy. I believe in the basic rule and I go the speed limit. I believe in signaling my intentions for the good of all of us on the road and I don't believe in holding people up.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top