JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
This morning my GF's grandson was dropped off at my home. Not that I wanted to babysit BUT his mother was in a bind (with work and etc.). YES. I informed/reminded her of my gun collection. That being said......my GF will watch him (her grandson). And BTW.....I live in WA State.

Just some food for thought. Because.....I never envisioned him visiting my home.

Aloha, Mark

PS....more on that OR Law.

I wonder when similar laws will be passed to legislate the safe keeping of "___ toys" within one's home?
wwf2ag.jpg

Last Edited:
I think responsible people would keep them locked up anyway, rational people understand it's not their business to force people to. That's the whole problem with this law. More government overreach

Since your weapons now have to be locked up I hold to the premise that my house is locked so everything in it is locked and secured. I will not be without a means of self defense readily available.

Since your weapons now have to be locked up I hold to the premise that my house is locked so everything in it is locked and secured. I will not be without a means of self defense readily available.
WINNER! That is an excellant point that can be defended in a court of law. Brilliant!

The way I read the law is if it's on your person then it does not need to be locked up. That unsupervised guns need to be stored safely. So I just conceal carry when I'm at home 😉
The point is the home is locked and secure.

If the state wants to mandate the use of lockable residential storage containers, then they'll need to provide one for every dwelling in the state. Kate better dig deep…

I did a review and writeup of this law a while back. Here's the link.

My understanding is that I have to prevent "unauthorized" people from accessing my firearms in my home - not have them locked up when I'm around. If my wife and son-in-law and daugher are in the house - I don't have to keep firearms locked up because they are "authorized" by me to have access (all my firearms are non-NFA).

If I have a visitor over, I need to be able to prevent their unauthorized access to my firearms. For me, that means that any firearm that is not under my immediate control - I probably need to have secured incase the "visitor" might obtain access to that firearm and kill themself or others.

There are other fine points, but as is always the case with new laws - the media will make statements that are not accurate.

Stay safe everyone.

The clincher is the "suing for damages" part. If someone steals your gun, commits a crime, and you have a little discretionary income - the lawyers will come after you. They won't go after the POS who actually committed the crime, because they know they'll get nothing $$.

The clincher is the "suing for damages" part. If someone steals your gun, commits a crime, and you have a little discretionary income - the lawyers will come after you. They won't go after the POS who actually committed the crime, because they know they'll get nothing $$.
No saying you're wrong. Just saying my interpretation of the law is different. For what it's worth .....

Liability
  • Liability of firearm owner extends for two years after firearm was obtained illegally IF NOT stored, controlled, or theft reported, according to the law.
    • There is a specific statement (Section 3)(3)(4)(b) which says that the owner of the firearm is not liable if: "The unsecured firearm was obtained by a person as a result of the person entering or remaining unlawfully in a dwelling, as those terms are defined in ORS 164.205. "
"Take what you like and leave the rest ...."

Best

EDIT: @Aero Denezol - you're probably right in that the lawyers will come after you even if the law says you're not liable. You'll have to spend a chit-load of $ to defend yourself against a zealot prosecutor - even if the case is thrown-out by the judge based on the law. Still a no-win situation.

Last Edited:
Reminds me of that meme floating around that asks, "If someone broke into your house and took what is on top of your fridge, what do they get?"

I never reply to those, but if I did, it would be along the lines of, "Someone's gonna get shot"

The thief will take the expired vitamins, get sick and sue you. And you'll loose.
That's funny but true. I have heard several cases of somebody breaking into a house and got bit buy the family gaurd/dog and the person breaking in suid the home owner because the property was not posted with "Gaurd Dog on Duty". Unfortunately it is a law that you have to post your property that you have guard dogs to warn the scum that wants your wallet.

Last Edited:
So if you give your kids permission to use your gun in SD it's all good right?

I have two kids so my guns are locked/not accessible if they aren't on me. But I always have my pocket gun on me and quick access safes with larger guns around the house, and my "storage" safe which are not loaded or not SD guns. I mostly use the mechanical push button safes for the Quick access safes.

And I do teach my kids gun safety. My 12 year old has come out shooting a few times and my 19 month old needs to mature a bit more, lol. My oldest knows not to touch until I clear them. That's more valuable to me than keeping them locked up. If your kids respect guns and they happen to stubble on one, say while your cleaning it but need to run to the bathroom or something, they know not to touch. The thing about kids is, they want what they can have. Don't make a firearm that thing. JMO

What a terribly written bill - anyone that voted for it should be immediately fired - no severance, no 2 week notice, no recall election - just go away.
Charges: stupitiy even for a politician.

Can anyone tell me wtf this means (section 2, 10b)?
"Trigger or cable lock" means:
"A device incorporated into the design of the firearm that is designed to prevent the operation of the firearm by any person not having access to the device."

Are there some new remote control guns available, maybe controllable by a smart phone???? I want one....

Plus doubling the CHL license fee - money grabbing fools.

I can understand securing firearms if there are children in the house. Common sense.

On the other hand, maybe if the burglars were prosecuted and locked up they would stop breaking into homes and stealing guns. However this is too logical for our local politicians to grasp.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top