JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Was bored and looking at various firearms related forums not long ago. On one forum I noticed a thread where guys were discussing whether a Rolling Block rifle at Simpson's Ltd. was a bubba'd gun??? I looked at the gun link posted, and thought to myself, "Why doesn't somebody just call Simpsons?"
So next thing I know I'm calling them just to answer questions people were discussing that could be easily answered with a simple phone call. I really never understand these types of discussions, or why nobody just makes that call if they really want an answer? After discussing the description with a sales person, and having them check various things on the old Rolling Block, I found myself again wondering why nobody called, or better yet, why nobody bought it? I told the sales person I'd take it, and we did the purchase.
Since this is an antique it was all done over the phone in minutes, and a few days later it was at my doorstep! I unboxed the gun, and began giving it a quick once over. One of the things mentioned in their description was, "Breech is sealed". I knew from talking to the sale person this was a mistake as they said they could see the entire bore and chamber. They also told me it was missing the firing pin, but I knew I had lots of Rolling Block parts, or could turn one out on the lathe quickly. I cocked the hammer to see what the sealed breech was, and when I tried to open the breech is indeed wouldn't open. I pulled the hammer back slightly, and the breech rolled open fine. So just a small timing issue. The bore was strong, with great rifling, and looked to be around a .50 caliber. Stocks were solid, with a small lengthwise crack on one side of the forearm, and a tiny hairline crack near the buttplate. The buttstock had one chip missing where it met the receiver at the upper tang, but otherwise solid. Forearm and buttstock both nice sporting type, and original to the gun, so not a military model.
The one thing that really caught my eye when I looked at their pictures was the receiver! A very unusual Rolling Block action, and very early too! Way before Remington began using a side plate to retain hammer and block pivot pins! It has the individual screws used on early guns to retain pins. Even more unusual was the shape and contours of the receiver. It is scalloped at the back edge, and unique among any Rolling Blocks I've owned or ever seen. It also has a very unusual removable trigger guard. Something I've never seen on any Rolling Block rifle. More like what shotguns use than rifles, or like some muzzleloaders used.
A few pictures of the unique action:

17LoXFMl.jpg

The small schnabel forearm, with cross screw that doubles to hold the forearm, plus attach the sling swivel.
WG5QhAil.jpg

Sporting style smooth steel buttplate:
pzeksINl.jpg

Stocks are checkered at the wrist, but not on the forearm. Checkering is well worn, but visible.
ippMJlDl.jpg

I fixed the timing issue with the cocking notch to make it function correctly, and then built a new firing pin. Found a screw the correct thread in my boxes of old gun screws, and turned the shank down to make it fit the block to retain the new firing pin. Cleaned the stocks, and fixed the tiny cracks by simply pouring super glue into the tight cracks and clamping.This stabilizes them and stops further cracking. I spread the forearm crack and put clear epoxy in it, and clamped it with multiple strong rubber bands I cut from old bike inner tubes. Made up a filler piece of walnut and epoxied it into the missing chip at the receiver. After curing I filed and sanded it down. A little stain to match, and some finish applied only to the repair.
I did a chamber cast of the chamber with Cerrosafe, and it appears to be either .50-70 or 12.7x44R chamber. The 12.7 being the Scandinavian version of our .50-70 Govt. I'm not doing any further restoration, as I think this gun would be ruined by a full restoration. A "sympathetic" restoration is my preference to make the gun functional, but not make it lose it's original patina.
I've got a bunch of Rolling Blocks, but this one at under $300 is the best bargain in a Rolling Block Sporting Rifle I've ever found! I've sent pictures to Remington historian and author Roy Marcot, but his reply simply said he'd never seen anything like it in many decades of collecting data on these guns. So a mystery gun for certain!

I don't see much here on Remington rolling block rifles. I have on that is almost the last of what my dad got from surplus bin when he got out of the Navy in 1947. It's a saddle ring carbine with a 20.5" barrel. I can only read one date on the tang and it's 1866 I believe. Haven't figure out what to do with it. So it just sits. The throat is pretty burned and overall the gun has got some serious patina and non-pitted rust. The bore is .448"

I don't see much here on Remington rolling block rifles. I have on that is almost the last of what my dad got from surplus bin when he got out of the Navy in 1947. It's a saddle ring carbine with a 20.5" barrel. I can only read one date on the tang and it's 1866 I believe. Haven't figure out what to do with it. So it just sits. The throat is pretty burned and overall the gun has got some serious patina and non-pitted rust. The bore is .448"

Stop the rust and shoot it :)

Stop the rust and shoot it :)

Yea well, not even knowing what caliber it is, and what center fired cartridges were even out there prior to 1866.....

It's the last original of the junkers that dad had bought after getting out of the service with the intention of "Fixing" them up. There were several other old, terrible condition guns that I have sold to acquire other new and old guns. The one other I have is a fully sporterized, scoped M 1917 that he shot "A" deer with. I'll always keep that. I'm just waiting for someone/something to come along and smack me upside the head, where I'll say "AHA! That's what I want to do to this gun!"

That bore diameter tells me your dad's carbine is likely a number of possibilities. .43 Mauser, .43 Egyptian, .43 Spanish, are all around that size, although the .43 Spanish usually run closer to .440" The biggest issue shooting many of the early Rolling Blocks in foreign calibers is finding brass, or finding donor brass that doesn't cost $4 each, or isn't impossible to find.

I sent pictures of this unusual Rolling Block to Roy Marcot who has authored a couple books on Rolling Blocks, and is the Remington Society's historian, and past president. His reply arrived recently and in his email he said in many decades of collecting, and documenting Rolling Block rifles he'd never seen a receiver quite like this one. He said the characteristics make it a #1 (which I knew) and the screws retaining the pins make it a very early #1, which means even if sent to another country for assembly, it was still originally an action made by Remington.
Beyond this he had no idea who had built it, and nothing to compare it to. That's OK really, as I'm happy to add it to my collection of Rolling Block rifles anyway.

I sent pictures of this unusual Rolling Block to Roy Marcot who has authored a couple books on Rolling Blocks, and is the Remington Society's historian, and past president. His reply arrived recently and in his email he said in many decades of collecting, and documenting Rolling Block rifles he'd never seen a receiver quite like this one. He said the characteristics make it a #1 (which I knew) and the screws retaining the pins make it a very early #1, which means even if sent to another country for assembly, it was still originally an action made by Remington.
Beyond this he had no idea who had built it, and nothing to compare it to. That's OK really, as I'm happy to add it to my collection of Rolling Block rifles anyway.
Don't know how I missed this thread originally. Resurrecting it in the hopes that @mm93 is still around. In the course of restoring my old RRB rifle I researched lots of rolling blocks, and like Roy Marcot, I've never seen anything like that receiver. Would love to talk further. Here's mine...
RRB Restore - 10.jpg

I'd like a Rolling Block, but here in UK the .45-70 Govt version needs to be on my FAC - ammunition is still available - and although any of the other odd calibres that are not made any more mean that I could buy one and have it, I just can't get my head around having a gun that I can't shoot.

All the replicas, of course, are FAC items and anyhow, they have no mana.

I suspect the OP's rifle may be Swedish, sporterized for a rounder grip and frame, sort of like these:

Bruce

Last Edited:
I am sure it's Swedish, but I don't believe it's "sporterized" from a military action. The Swedes took no time at all in making civilian Sporter Rolling Blocks, and they were built from brand new actions, not from leftover military actions. Companies like Husqvarna made large numbers, and sold a bunch of them. I own several civilian Husqvarna Sporting rifles done on Rolling Block style actions. Some are even more unique than this one.
Here's my Husqvarna Type 33A Sporting Rifle. It's in a chambering extremely close to .38-55, and I shorten .38-55 Brass about .05" and load with .375" bullets.

sicVyMil.jpg

9kWdBWQl.jpg

Don't know how I missed this thread originally. Resurrecting it in the hopes that @mm93 is still around. In the course of restoring my old RRB rifle I researched lots of rolling blocks, and like Roy Marcot, I've never seen anything like that receiver. Would love to talk further. Here's mine...
View attachment 1101519
Is this one you restored? Does it still have the original barrel, or did it get rebarreled?
I have a Rolling Block Sporting Rifle I got as an original Sporting action, but no stocks, or barrel. Just the octagon top action. I put a Green Mountain .40 caliber full round barrel on it, and chambered in .40-65 Win. and restocked it with presentation grade walnut.

EidVLkDl.jpg

IxjPU8Wl.jpg

4OJ3CYil.jpg

QNts292l.jpg

Mine still has the original full octagon tapered barrel. It's 1-1/8" across the flats at the receiver and 1" at the muzzle. In order to save the original barrel we (Jim Dubell, the custom gun maker) and I decided to put a liner in it. It was either that or rebore the barrel for maybe .45-70. It was originally a .38 Long rimfire. With the pre-rifled liner it could stay a .38 caliber and we chambered it for .38 Special/.357 Magnum. Since these pics were taken I have added a globe front sight with level.

I could say I restored it, but that would be inaccurate. I tracked down a lot of the parts and did some of the work, but the bulk of it was done by Jim, who was a member of the American Custom Gunmakers Guild. Jim has passed on now, but his work will live on.
RRB Restore - 15.jpg RRB Restore - 08.jpg RRB Restore - 14.jpg RRBRestore-ForeCapsm.jpg RRBRestore-LeftForesm.jpg

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top