JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I will be buying a Franchi Instinct L on Thursday. I already have a thrower and clays as a Christmas gift from my SO, but I was wondering what I should buy with it. I will mostly be using this gun to shoot clays and eventually birds once I am confident I won't be a poor shot on them.
Do I need any equipment besides brushes and mops? Is there a particular cleaning kit that anyone is fond of? Any oils or solvents I should be using that differ from what I use on the AR and Sig P226? Anything I should have that i'm not thinking of?
I'm using M-Pro7 products on the Sig and switching over to CLP for the AR.

The fit on the Franchi works for me, and I don't see a need to go for a Silver Pidgeon or Citori. If you have one, let me know what you think of the Franchi Instinct L.

Same upkeep as your other firearms.

I'd make sure you have a 1 piece coated cleaning rod.

I'd play with it before you toss a lot of money into new chokes.

I like my first shot to have a wider pattern and my second shot to be tighter in case I miss the first shot.

Thankfully it comes with three chokes, so I will be playing around with those a bit before I invest more in that.

I'll pick up a one piece coated rod as well, thanks! :)

That's good advice as well! I may have overlooked that! Thanks!

Hope you find one soon!
I'll post a range report, but I'm sure the Franchi is a bit new for your interest. :)

I will be buying a Franchi Instinct L on Thursday. I already have a thrower and clays as a Christmas gift from my SO, but I was wondering what I should buy with it. I will mostly be using this gun to shoot clays and eventually birds once I am confident I won't be a poor shot on them.
Do I need any equipment besides brushes and mops? Is there a particular cleaning kit that anyone is fond of? Any oils or solvents I should be using that differ from what I use on the AR and Sig P226? Anything I should have that i'm not thinking of?
I'm using M-Pro7 products on the Sig and switching over to CLP for the AR.

The fit on the Franchi works for me, and I don't see a need to go for a Silver Pidgeon or Citori. If you have one, let me know what you think of the Franchi Instinct L.
I don't have one, but that's only because I already have a Citori. But to tell you the truth, I've picked up a Franchi Instinct L and couldn't tell the difference in handling and feel. It felt really sweet, just like the Citori, like pointing your finger. I'm sure you're going to love it.

I shot over/under shotguns for trap and bird hunting for many years. Using a light coat of grease on the hinge pin, the hinge pin recesses, and the area where the fore end slides on the receiver is important (I used Mil Tech grease). It is also important to use something like Never Seize on the threads of the choke tubes to insure they don't become stuck. I believe Bruchwood Casey makes a product for this.

I bet you will love your new gun.

A good field/range coat and or shell pouch for the range.
Yeah, i'm looking forward to getting some of those felt costs as well. Best I can manage currently is milsurp long coats or a pee coat.

Thanks for the advice. I'll be sure to grease appropriately.
I was going to get a Citori but I wanted mechanical triggers and the fit for me is just too negligible between the two.

Hopefully I can get out to the range this weekend as well. There's more snow than I expected. LoL

Here's a couple pictures since I couldn't get to a range this weekend...

907CA35B-B324-4330-B69B-1C82801519D9.jpeg
9DF6D520-95E8-4F2B-B1D0-AD6E5860DE3E.jpeg
3884FA24-1A13-4AED-AE54-F5F4E5ECB0A8.jpeg
F0C14BB1-B3C8-4021-96D4-A52158A23E01.jpeg

What loads should I be looking at?
I was thinking Federal Target in 7 1/2 shot 1 1/8 oz loads, partly because I could use them on pidgeons as well. Any preferences for clay shooting? Favored pidgeon loads I should consider?

Here's a couple pictures since I couldn't get to a range this weekend...

View attachment 433987
View attachment 433988
View attachment 433989
View attachment 433990

What loads should I be looking at?
I was thinking Federal Target in 7 1/2 shot 1 1/8 oz loads, partly because I could use them on pidgeons as well. Any preferences for clay shooting? Favored pidgeon loads I should consider?

Looks really nice:)

Try a few different ones out and see what patterns best, my favorites are 1 oz loads going around 1200 fps. Mostly because they pattern well still, and are nicer on the shoulder. For birds a little more speed or shot is not bad, but depends on the bird. Most of the time I use the same loads for trap as for quail. A pigeon is a bigger bird though, might even think about a #6 game load.

Thanks!

I guess i'll but buy a couple loads and see then. I'm totally new to shotguns, so i'm trying to figure this stuff out.

I bought a bunch of these on closeout from bi-mart for $44 a flat, and they shoot really well in my guns. If you can find some try them.

View attachment 434013 View attachment 434014
I'll give those a try if I can. Thanks!
Also, I think i'll get 7 1/2 for ranges and some 6's for practice on my own. I'm thinking about looking for a spot to help get rid of some collard doves.

I'll give those a try if I can. Thanks!
Also, I think i'll get 7 1/2 for ranges and some 6's for practice on my own. I'm thinking about looking for a spot to help get rid of some collard doves.

I would stick to the 7 1/2 for doves. I use 6s and 5s sometimes for pheasant, but honestly if your shots are close it doesn't matter.

Good patterns are important too.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads