JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I always pictured shotgun sports/hunting as one of those "American Sportsman" shows depicted. My favorite episodes were bird hunting from all over the states. I got hooked on the idea long before I was old enough to shoot. Curt Gowdy, oh my. I finally got to bird hunt as much as I wanted when I moved from San Diego to La Grande. Before that it was dove hunting near Calexico, duck hunting and quail hunting near the Salton Sea. Very much fun but no pheasant/hun/grouse/chukar/goose.

I was fortunate that my military duty was all stateside. Some great trap and skeet ranges and very low cost.

Ha, my dad played golf. I used to caddy for him. Took it up in my early 20s. Sick. Golf teaches one to cuss even more that being a sailor does.

I'll try to keep a lot of this in mind, may need to review some of the more technical aspects (need my morning caffeine).
It seems like I need to join a club, just trying to find the right one. Life is a little hectic with a move and stuff, so i'll wait until i'm settled in to decide on that.
For now, i'll focus on busting clay pidgeons and not real birds.
I'm also not ready for a dog, but that's good advice. I didn't think too much about retrieval as much as pointing, retrieval seems worth it.
I like Tom Knapp's method of golfing, he uses a shotgun! LoL

As for reloading, I will think more about that once I get the hang of shooting more. That way I will know more of what to load for. The cost of ammo makes it easy for me to wait to reload for shotguns. One of these days tho, i'll get a press for shells.

My dads cousins stopped reloading shot shells because the lead shot wasn't much cheaper then buying cases.

They shoot just about every day.
I bought 1000 lbs of shot maby 10 years ago surplus and havn't bought any since, you may be right. It holds down my reloading bench.

My dads cousins stopped reloading shot shells because the lead shot wasn't much cheaper then buying cases.

Yeah, I think reloading shot these days is more about the hobby and getting things just as you like them more than about saving money.

@SKrueger i will get more pictures when I have decent scenery. No point in showing it about the house, not being used.

I'll try to keep a lot of this in mind, may need to review some of the more technical aspects (need my morning caffeine).
It seems like I need to join a club, just trying to find the right one. Life is a little hectic with a move and stuff, so i'll wait until i'm settled in to decide on that.
For now, i'll focus on busting clay pidgeons and not real birds.
I'm also not ready for a dog, but that's good advice. I didn't think too much about retrieval as much as pointing, retrieval seems worth it.
I like Tom Knapp's method of golfing, he uses a shotgun! LoL

As for reloading, I will think more about that once I get the hang of shooting more. That way I will know more of what to load for. The cost of ammo makes it easy for me to wait to reload for shotguns. One of these days tho, i'll get a press for shells.
Dogs are so much fun to work with, sometimes you will forget to shoot. (And they will keep you warm at night)

Hopefully this holds you over...

A496D0C9-0C2A-4E20-A69E-9588C8C4BAC9.jpeg

I couldn't resist, even though I should be getting ready for work... lol

Yeah, I haven't priced shot in a long long time. Not since it got scarce, and especially not since I lost the vision in my right eye. (I'm right handed and right eye dominant) So the only shotty I own now is a S/D gun with a reflex optic on it.

Just a few more things to consider:

Practice mounting the shotgun from various field type ready positions. (over the shoulder is not really a good start position ;))

While doing this, look at your sight picture, making sure your head is down on the stock comb firmly enough so that you are not shooting high (of course, that is ok on clays and rising birds) :D

For clays, your feet should be shoulder width apart, just like when pistol shooting. Knees slightly bent, weight evenly balanced, back straight but leaning forward. (I even use and aggressive lean from the waist as some gunners do) For formal trap there are further refinements. You will see when you go to a club.

Have fun! Enjoy, I am jealous!!!

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top