JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Looked back at other NRA related threads and promotions on NWFA. Didn't want to sidetrack those.

I didn't join for years, mostly because I was unimpressed with NRA spokespeople repeating 2A mantras instead of coherent, useful, convincing arguments. Sure, I was fine with the overall intent/mission of promoting sane gun ownership - I'm all for it. But I felt the NRA most often failed to articulate any specifics that might sway the undecided. I was also hestitant to be bombarded with the relentless stream of literature and offers that many NRA members I know complain about.

Anyhow, the antics of the king and his guffawing jester have persuaded me to support any organization that will oppose their crazed, unconstitutional gun grab.

So I joined the NRA and spent a fair amount that I figured would help. A month ago. Crickets chirping.

Shall I assume my mailbox will be stuffed soon?

1. The NRA was originally not a civil rights organization.

The NRA was founded in 1871 after the Civil War by Army and Navy Journal editor William Conant Church and General George Wood Wingate of the Union Army, who were both dismayed at the horrible accuracy of Union soldiers during the Civil War. The original purpose of the organization was for rifle marksmanship training. However despite this, the NRA is the oldest civil rights organization in the United States.

2. The NRA has a history of being for gun control.

In 1934, the NRA supported the National Firearms Act, which served to regulate and tax firearms that were considered used by gangsters at the time. They also supported the Gun Control Act of 1968, which expanded on the system to license firearm dealers and prohibit criminals and those with mental impairments from owning firearms.

3. The NRA has a history of supporting the Civil Rights Movement.

While African Americans were being terrorized by the Ku Klux Klan, where the Klan were sometimes aided by local law enforcement, the NRA setup charters to help train local African American communities to be able protect themselves. The most prominent case being in 1960 in Monroe, N.C. where the local National Association for the Advancement of Colored People head Robert Williams also chartered an NRA Rifle Club that successully defended an assault on one of their leader's homes by the KKK without casualties.

4. The NRA is active in wildlife conservation.

The NRA supports wildlife conservation through efforts to open lands up to managed hunting. For example, under the Pittman-Robertson Act of 1937, proceeds obtained through a tax on hunting firearms and ammo were used specifically to research and rebuild a vast array of wildlife species and habitats. Today, the NRA continues to seek expansion on these measures. It's worth noting that the proceeds from taxes and licensing go to support the governmental agencies charged with environmental research and conservation management, as "little funding comes from taxes paid by the general public."

5. The NRA offers extensive firearms training programs.

The organization offers training programs for civilians as well as law enforcement. The training programs offered are even recognized by law enforcement as acceptable to fulfill the training requirement for concealed carry licenses (CCW). Today, the NRA has trained over 10,000 police and security firearm instructors and 55,000 certified instructors who in turn train roughly 750,000 people a year. This is now much higher at over 11,000 police and security firearm instructors and 93,000 certified instructors.

7. A majority of Americans have a favorable image of the NRA.

According to a recent Gallup poll, 54% of Americans hold a favorable view of the NRA, while 38% have an unfavorable view. Putting this in perspective, a more recent Gallup poll shows President Obama holds a 51% approval rating, while 43% disapprove.

8. The NRA has 3 seperate organizations.

The NRA has three separate bodies. The NRA of America is mainly concerned with promoting training, education, and safety. The NRA-ILA is the lobbying arm of the organization. And the NRA Foundation is the the charitable arm of the organization.

9. Funding for the NRA might surprise you

According to FactCheck.org, nearly half of the funding for the NRA comes from membership dues alone. Voluntary donations to the NRA, however, still account for a majority portion of the remaining funding. This includes voluntary donations made during gun purchases at the point of sale as well as programs like the "round-up" campaign, operated by the NRA-ILA and retailers, where consumers can round a purchase up to the nearest dollar for donation to support lobbying efforts. With that said, gun manufacturers do donate to the NRA as well. For example, Sturm, Ruger, and Co., ran the "Million Gun Challenge" in 2011, which directly ties gun sales to donations with the target being one million dollars.

10. Current stance on gun Control

The NRA's current stance on gun control is to enforce existing laws more aggressively. In 2008, in response to the Virgina Tech shooting, the NRA helped to pass the "NICS Improvement Act," which would provide increased funding and grants to states to report vital information to the National Instant Background Check System (NICS), such as mental health. The NICS is used for background checks of potential gun buyers. Unfortunately, the system has been woefully underfunded (receiving only 5.3% of the authorized funding) and reporting has been lackluster. In addition, the NRA has pointed out that those who lie on their background checks when purchasing firearms are for the most part not prosecuted. In response to this, Vice President Biden claimed that they "don't have the time" to prosecute such violations, which, by the way, carries a minimum 5 year federal sentence, if convicted under the Gun Control Act of 1968.

<broken link removed>

Short answer is they are swamped right now. They're in the middle of a huge membership push and are probably a bit behind on the paperwork.

I signed up for a lifetime membership about a month ago as well, having let my membership lapse in 2011. I have not yet received my paperwork either, but considering the circumstances I didn't expect it very quick.

I have been led to believe that there are only a couple people that process the memberships. Normally this does not present a problem but with the current climate and membership push those folks are busier than a one armed paper hanger. Expect a bit of a delay in the processing of your membership.

I found I receive much less promotional material from the NRA directly soliciting donations after I became a life member. I still receive things from companies that got my information from the NRA.

There is a way to limit the amount of mail you receive too.

https://www.nramemberservices.org/members/faq/faq.aspx
Q: How can I reduce the amount of mail I receive from the NRA?
A: Simply email us at [email protected] or dial 800-NRA-3888 and request to be placed on the "Do Not Promote" list. This will significantly reduce the amount of mail you receive without affecting important mailings, magazine service, or your membership renewal.

I joined GOA about 30 minutes ago. We were members of the NRA for years, but I got so sick of the junk asking for more money every week and the calls all the time, that I finally quit. Hope GOA doesn't do the same thing. I know they will ask for more money, it's the nature of the beast, as long as they don't call me.

So I joined the NRA and spent a fair amount that I figured would help. A month ago. Crickets chirping.

I joined early January and finally got my package yesterday. On the paperwork it stated that my membership didnt get processed until late Jan. They are as busy as everyone else whos business is firearms. Now I just have to figure out which sticker goes on my beer fridge and which one goes on my car.

Thanks for the responses on the average NRA processing timeline. Like most, I assumed they would be overrun with the big push for new memberships. I hope they can devote the new found revenue to good use.

The way I signed up online provided no feedback, so it just felt a little odd. But I have since received a credit card statement showing activity, so I'm satisfied that it's all in process.

Didn't mean to appear anxious, I'm not. Was just interested in what others are experiencing, so thanks again guys.

On the same note, I wonder if ATF, even with their new hires (I hear they have 9 new players who probably require training) will also get bogged down for the same reasons. Most people seem to agree that 6 months has been about the average for processing stamps. I wonder what the standard estimate will be a year from now once this pig works its way through the python.

Had a friend recently join the NRA. It kind of made me chuckle when they shipped him a "NRA" knife with a "donate more money" letter and envelope. The knife was of the very cheap "Made in China" variety.

I joined GOA about 30 minutes ago. We were members of the NRA for years, but I got so sick of the junk asking for more money every week and the calls all the time, that I finally quit. Hope GOA doesn't do the same thing. I know they will ask for more money, it's the nature of the beast, as long as they don't call me.

read post 8
that would fix your problem

being a member of both will only help the 2nd admemment

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR