JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Well I have used Uhaul before and Never again!!! I have been moving 600 miles from Renton to Helena. I just used a Penske truck. One way and four mountain passes. It was loaded heavy as in welders,anvils and bars of steel. It was a joy to drive and fuel was 14 or so mpg.

Looking into Penske a bit more, their medium duty commercial truck is what we rented all the time at work to replace our truck while it was serviced.

They have a non CDL version, which is what you are likely looking for.

I have no idea if these things are set up for towing however, may be something worth calling them about.

Lol, you might be able to put the Toyota in the truck with your goods though, just need a loading bay somewhere to drive it in and out.

If there is anything large that you own that is nearing the end of its days you might consider selling it and buying new on the other end of the move. I did that with our refrigerator.

If you get a truck consider Penske. They have 26' box trucks that have lift gates. I found that much easier than trying to use a ramp.

OP - LC,

You mentioned trailers. I do know that the brand WELLS CARGO was a good brand and I had one back east. It was an enclosed trailer and I had the pebbled stainless steel around part of it for 'stone damage'. It was white. It had a SIDE DOOR and I even had a couple of small windows on one side of it. The back of it had double LARGE doors so you could load it easily. That made the BACK of the WC trailer completely open like going into a room. You could LOCK the side door and the back doors. I told the dealer EXACTLY what I wanted and it came in just as I specified. ALL of the 3 doors had a thing on them and on the sides of the trailer that would hold the doors open while you loaded it.

I had another trailer back east. It was a quality black utility trailer (Flat with LOW sides.) and I bought it at a farm store. The name brand escapes me now. It was a long standard trailer, not huge, and NOT a small garden trailer.

The third utility trailer was one (Homemade!) where my late husband took apart an old, small camper that belonged to a friend of his. We did not want the camper but we did want the FRAME and tires. My late husband fixed up the trailer, got a new set of tires and he put solid wooden sides, not slats, all around this trailer with an OPEN TOP so you could put fireplace/wood stove logs (Cut up.) to move around and for other things. He rewired it too.

I do know that some people buy specific trailers and use them over and over again. They keep them for a long time.

Some other people buy them, use them for a few times, do not want to store them on their property and sell them.

I don't know the rental rates on trailers or trucks since I did not look them up.

I still think that the GMC heavy duty, work cargo van is a secure way of moving IF you don't want to TOW anything behind you, run into bad weather, IF you don't want to hire a company or use a POD thing, and are not used to driving a big rental truck. I am sure that you can rent them easily. We owned them out here as I said.

Whatever you do (Most likely you already own one?!) is buy a quality hand cart - dolly that holds a fair amount of weight. You can use this throughout your lifetime no matter where you live, live a long time in one big house as I did for over 30 years, move often or not, and it makes moving something alone or with one other person MUCH easier.

I don't know if you have a lot of HEAVY items to move meaning old fashioned, SOLID WOOD furniture in cherry, walnut, maple or oak or if you are moving any appliances but whatever heavy items that you do have including book boxes or HEAVY ammo boxes - I hope that you will have another person to HELP you. There are some things that a man or woman can't move alone due to the SIZE of one item or WEIGHT or both. You do not want to INJURE yourself!

I am a Minimalist when it comes to most things in my life now. Not in all things! I was a 51 year old widow with no children who moved with all of her worldly goods using my former SUV and my former Coleman pop up camper for over 2,000 miles one way.

I NEVER regretted how I moved, how I planned it, what I LEFT behind, what I sold, donated and gifted, and what I TOOK with me. I had discussed a LOT of this with my late husband too. He always said that I should go with my gut instinct, brains, common sense and what suited me not some other person who thought that I should do x, y or z.

I have seen too many people screw up their moves with and without their BIDS/CONTRACTS/EXTRA INSURANCE and with and without hired help (Professional movers.) or moving themselves. I have heard good and bad things with pods too.

I have seen people spend so much money on storage units that their STUFF that was only supposed to be THERE for a short time frame was there for a LONG time and the rental fees cost more than what their STUFF was worth! Or they waited on their KIDS or relatives or friends to come and get their stuff and they kept putting it off while the one sucker person was paying for it all. Crazy stuff for sure!

Have you found a place to move to already? Building or buying a house, getting a nice apartment or cabin or staying in a hotel - weekly rates until you find a home?

Best wishes to you again.

Sincerely,

Cate

Last Edited:
I agree with the above.

We are working on moving right now.

If we didn't need it, I tried to sell it. If it didn't sell, I gave it away.

We moved ourselves from Reno to Hillsboro six years ago. Wife drove up two weeks before we moved, flew back and drove the second car packed with the two dogs and whatever could not fit in the 26' uhaul I was driving. One trip. It sucked, but one and done for that trip would be all I would want to ever do. I would of hated doing multiple trips.

From the apartment to this house, we had movers. Boy was that nice, I know you have repeatedly stated that's not your cup of tea, I'm just stating my experiences.

This move coming up in two weeks, we again are hiring movers. Mostly because I do not want to deal with the 1200 pound safe or the 1400 pound hot tub.

Best of luck getting this move figured out dude! I know I'm pretty stressed about mine and we have movers lined up and whatnot.

Best wishes to YOU too!

Cate

Dealing with the psychic stress with such a move has always proceeded better for me if I approached the task as a series of steps. Building in for breaks, rest, rig status for tires/connectors/planned fuel stops/adapting to appropriate caravan rate etc.
One memorable move I helped buddy move from PDX to Cape Cod. His rig was maxed out VW van. My rig was 1949 chevrolet pickup, cab high load with trailer. Rebuilt stock 216 6 cylinder motor. Took 3 full days to cross Montana, and Chicago was definitely not fun. 10 days coast to coast. By end of trip Chevrolet was making 19mpg, rarely moving over 50mph. Great memories.

:s0073:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top