JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Hmm tough call.

Mayhaps one trip using a u haul large van (not truck) AND there double axle trailer. Move all the heaviest stuff in that trip.

Shuttle the rest in trips with the Toyota. Let's the uhaul equipment take the brunt of the wear and tear hauling the heavy bubblegum.

Depends tho if you have mattresses/large furniture, as to what equipment.

Mattresses & furniture may have you bumped up to a truck anyways. If so, do the bulky AND as much heavy stuff in that trip.

Our move Salem to down near Cali was a headache as Uhaul didn't have the big truck I reserved for us, just the next size down. Around half the cubic space, so did 2 trips with it. Lotsa furniture, appliances (washer set, fridge, freaazer etc etc), mattresses, safe etc tho.

Then 2 more trips with my truck and heavy duty trailer (mil surp 3/4 ton) for other "heavy" stuff. A few shuttle trips with our SUV in there as well.

Moving blows, best wishes towards as smooth as possible.

Last Edited:
Have you thought about using a fairly new, reliable, GMC heavy duty work van to move?

RENT one of those and it has 2 seats up front. I know that they used to come in 1/2 and 3/4 ton sizes brand new. Savanna is the model. The 3/4 ton one is longer and it holds more weight capacity, of course.

Side note: I do KNOW about the 1/2 ton GMC SAVANNA WORK VAN model, my MT husband owned 2 new ones, and HE is looking at a 3/4 ton model now. They were not for WORK but for us - traveling/camping AND we used them for other PERSONAL things. I had a full size mattress in back to sleep on too.

I don't know or remember if they come in a bigger WORK VAN capacity load weight off hand. Sorry.

You could put the miles on something like that RENTED WORK VAN, things would be more secure since the van is not open like a pick up truck even with a cover on it and drive back to return it and pick up your truck.

I did not read your other thread yet about trucks. So if I screwed up when it came to you talking about making several trips - apologies ahead of time.

MY SUGGESTION since you asked for ideas on this thread.

I would not want to rent a big U Haul type of truck and tow another trailer behind it with a vehicle if I was NOT used to doing that myself. Although, I did tow a 30' fifth wheel trailer ONE TIME using a 1/2 or 3/4 (?) ton pick up truck ONE TIME for someone and I did NOT have to BACK IT UP. The HITCH on a 5th wheel trailer helps to tow it and I was told that. I just drove it on a 2 lane country road, turned left one time and drove it down the expressway, got off - turned right and pulled into the parking lot. I went the speed limit and stayed in the right lane while the semi truck drivers and other people passed me.

I have towed MANY sail and power boats. PAST TENSE and I no longer drive. Some utility trailers and a Coleman pop up camper too. I drove a few tractors with small utility trailers too. Small ones and an old 1942, refurbished by my late husband, Ford tractor too. I am NOT GOOD in backing up trailers and I admit that but I am VERY GOOD in using public and private docks on rivers, lakes and bays! LOL My late husband would back up the trailer and we would be in and out in a HURRY. I am good with lines, bumpers and WINCHES - DOING ALL OF THE HEAVY WORK and even getting WET! LOL We did use public docks for FREE and we rented DOCKS on the river side and on the lake side (NICE marinas.) for many years too.

But I NEVER EVER TOWED the one BIG, heavy, older, wooden boat (Refinished Chris Craft that I helped my husband restore/fix up. FULL INBOARD MOTOR if my memory is correct.) with a BIG, heavy duty, dual axle if that is what they are called, CUSTOM MADE TRAILER that he fixed up down to the LAKE where the Cris was LIFTED OFF OF THE TRAILER and into the water by a good man at a good boat yard. I drove that boat for many years with him ALL over the lake and right off Canadian waters, we had a long END ROW dock where I did not have to JOCKEY it around that we rented, and I checked it when he was overseas when we had some bad storms too. I always went down, checked the lines, started the blowers, started the engine and checked the bilges but I NEVER TOWED IT!

He could tow and drive just about anything including some things like fire trucks, tankers, ambulances (VOLUNTEER FIRE DEPARTMENT!) and some big military things even though that was NOT in his job description. He was GOOD at it and so they got stamped on his paperwork.

Best wishes to you again!

Cate
PS: We have been looking at PROPERTY and what we would do for some items for a MOVE is not what you want to do so I did not put those suggestions down.

Last Edited:
I read your OP and it seems like you already have your mind made up so I'm confused on what your point to this thread is.

It's been a long time since I've done such an undertaking.
26' Isuzu Cab Over diesel truck, towing a Volvo 240 wagon (~2700 lbs). We had >20K lbs of stuff (think Beverly Hillbillys moving with everything we owned to Oregon - completely full to the roof, all 26'. Fridge, heavy wood furniture, 1/2 ton of tools, etc). About 2,400 miles of driving, one way. 2 adults, 2 dogs, 3 cats in the cab. Uneventful - backing up was hard, some made a half-assed attept to grab my wallet in Boise.
WIth UHaul, you are limited on the trucks you can select, they tend to be underpowered gas only, and their target is local.
You can negotiate with Budget on a one-way to get a discounted mileage rate. Talk with them on the phone, specify the weight, and if you can get a cab-over box truck like the Isuzu, go for it.

I'M NOT USING POD FOR THIS MOVE....
Sheesh...
No need to be non-chill. People are trying to help.

A maxed out 26' Uhaul towing my 4Runner is a lot of eggs in one basket...
And given the weights would require a 2nd trip anyway. So I'm not that far ahead of the lesser expensive plan of just hauling 4 smaller loads in my 4Runner.
See above.

Edit to add:
  • Dropped the drive shaft on the Volvo to make things simpler.
  • If you do get a diesel truck, exhaust gets into the box , and I'm sure I was rolling coal on several of the back roads we took. . We had everything covered, but there was soot on the covers and the fridge.

Last Edited:
I read your OP and it seems like you already have your mind made up so I'm confused on what your point to this thread is.

Odd how you could come to that conclusion, given I've presented 2 (or 3) possible courses of action and seeking experience and feedback among THOSE options. And advice on renting v. buying trailer. Others have in fact offered good suggestions and input, which has been helpful. Maybe you'd like to participate instead of being a sharpshooter?

As you stated, you're against using services or PODS. I don't recall you stating what you were moving into, other than the location, Boise.
When a buddy moved from Salem to be an automation guy at a mill down in Roseburg. For his first move, he bought a shipping container, a full 40' unit. Staying withing the same company, he then moved to other ones successively in the Bend area, Tri-cities, Missoula and finally Port Angeles, each at higher levels of the food chain. Added another one when he moved to Missoula. He uses them as storage and hobby space now.

Odd how you could come to that conclusion, given I've presented 2 (or 3) possible courses of action and seeking experience and feedback among THOSE options. And advice on renting v. buying trailer. Others have in fact offered good suggestions and input, which has been helpful. Maybe you'd like to participate instead of being a sharpshooter?

Welp, since you made multiple edits to your OP shooting down ideas posted by others I'm not 100% sure how I'm allowed to participate.

Good luck on your move. Hopefully you can put the miles down before the weather turns.

Oh, and that's Mr. Sharpshooter to you.

Welp, since you made multiple edits to your OP shooting down ideas posted by others I'm not 100% sure how I'm allowed to participate.

Good luck on your move. Hopefully you can put the miles down before the weather turns.

Made a edit to eliminate suggestions on using a POD for the move. It won't work for this move so it's a pointless offer.

If you have tangible actual advice from experience on hauling loads across long distances, Uhaul, truck, van, SUV pulling trailer, etc. I'm eager to hear your advice. If you have rented a trailer vs buying one, please chime in with advice.
Offering good luck and tips on weather considerations as you've done is useful too... thank you.

I see recommendations for a uhaul. But not better box trucks? Uhaul is not the only one out there that rents box trucks. You can rent a much more capable truck that can haul the 14000 pounds and a truck behind it. These may not be the easiest to load as they don't typically have a load ramp like the uhaul, but it would be an option to get it all in one trip.

We would rent a Penske truck for our line hauls when our truck was being serviced. Though we typically loaded above 26000 pounds I am certain they would have a truck you could rent one way that would hold the weight and tow your truck.

Otherwise I vote buying a truck and trailer. Unless you are 100% on trusting the 200000 mile Toyota.

Made a edit to eliminate suggestions on using a POD for the move. It won't work for this move so it's a pointless offer.

If you have tangible actual advice from experience on hauling loads across long distances, Uhaul, truck, van, SUV pulling trailer, etc. I'm eager to hear your advice. If you have rented a trailer vs buying one, please chime in with advice.
Offering good luck and tips on weather considerations as you've done is useful too... thank you.

Having moved from Kent to Boise in 2008, I do know what you are going through.

I used a UHaul and a car trailer to tow a vehicle behind it. The fuel economy for the truck was laughable, but it got the job done in one shot.

Good luck.

Your 4Runner is going to struggle with much more than 3500lbs, which includes the weight of the trailer. Especially going uphill. Expect 10 to 12 mpg for the trip with that load. I had an OG Tundra with basically the same V8 and it struggled to pull my 3500 boat/trailer/gear up Snoqualmie and maintain 65 mph. You'll need to turn off overdrive since you won't want your transmission searching for a place to be and getting it needlessly hot.

To get to Banks Lake near Grand Coulee, I left with a full tank, tanked up in the pass, and tanked up in Moses Lake.

I have moved a lot! The one thing I have learned is if I don't need it I'm not moving it!
I need a bed, but if its not a new bed I'm not paying to move it! I need tools, but I don't need to move every tool I have ever bought! Where ever I'm going they sell furniture, Tools, and stuff.

I helped a friend move once, He was bringing old car parts! Cause you never know!

For the last couple of years we have been planning to retire and move. For the last few years I have been telling the wife, We are not replacing furniture, appliances, etc... Save the money and we will buy new when we get there!

When the OP has removed all the "Stuff", A 3 bedroom house will fit in a large U haul truck. Anything else that is valueable enough to pay to move you will either pay to store or pay to move it right! The rest of it have a big yard sale! DR

I agree with the above.

We are working on moving right now.

If we didn't need it, I tried to sell it. If it didn't sell, I gave it away.

We moved ourselves from Reno to Hillsboro six years ago. Wife drove up two weeks before we moved, flew back and drove the second car packed with the two dogs and whatever could not fit in the 26' uhaul I was driving. One trip. It sucked, but one and done for that trip would be all I would want to ever do. I would of hated doing multiple trips.

From the apartment to this house, we had movers. Boy was that nice, I know you have repeatedly stated that's not your cup of tea, I'm just stating my experiences.

This move coming up in two weeks, we again are hiring movers. Mostly because I do not want to deal with the 1200 pound safe or the 1400 pound hot tub.

Best of luck getting this move figured out dude! I know I'm pretty stressed about mine and we have movers lined up and whatnot.

Few years ago I rented the biggest Uhaul I could find. Loaded it up with all my stuff. That poor truck was stuffed. Safes, ammo, firearms, dirt bikes, more Ammo. The rear of that truck was sitting on its overload stops. Loaded two medium sized dogs in the cab, filled it up with fuel and drove 1900 miles..
Also towed my 3/4 ton truck behind it it was also packed.

Few years ago I rented the biggest Uhaul I could find. Loaded it up with all my stuff. That poor truck was stuffed. Safes, ammo, firearms, dirt bikes, more Ammo. The rear of that truck was sitting on its overload stops. Loaded two medium sized dogs in the cab, filled it up with fuel and drove 1900 miles..
Also towed my 3/4 ton truck behind it it was also packed.

I'll bet it was fun watching that fuel gauge drop like a rock. :D

That thing got five miles to the gallon. I had to stop every couple hours. But I got it all in one trip.
Lol, that's about right. I recall the fill ups more than the trip up. Full tank in Susanville, barely made it to Shasta, again in Grants Pass, again somewhere south of Salem, on fumes getting into Hillsboro. Easily $300-400 in gas.

OP get a Penske. You can get a diesel through them and actually get reasonable mileage and be able to make it up a mountain with a full load, vs having your flashers on limping along.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top