JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
[Editing again: Let's stick the parameters of these options. I'm not hiring movers for this. I'm not doing a POD. Between these two choices, and perhaps a 3rd choice of renting a giant Uhaul truck which I might consider, please provide feedback.]

Okay, so many of you contributed greatly to the moving and truck buying plan. Much appreciation and it made me consider many options. THANK YOU!

With my anticipated weights, and my inexperience with owning a truck and hauling long-distance, it has made me really re-analyze my skillset and the practical nature of it. Also, I have a competent Toyota 4 Runner able to tow smaller loads. My truck-purchase plan would require me to leave that behind, and retrieve it, making a separate trip back here a necessity. I've done a bit more thinking.
I have towed small trailers full of stuff locally and my longest haul was a few hours with a load of lumber in a medium sized trailer with no issues whatsoever.

I probably have 14k lbs to move, plus or minus 10%. It's about a 9 hour drive to my destination, Boise, from Tacoma.

My 4Runner is at 200,000 miles and is competent with no known issues. Has a V8 and the following specs. The advantage is that I know the vehicle since day 1 and it's been well maintained and not abused and done very little (5 times) towing. It has a V8 with tow package and is 4WD.

Base engine size 4.7 Liters
Base engine type V-8
Horsepower 235 Hp
Horsepower rpm 4,800
Torque 320 Lb-Ft.
Torque rpm 3,400
Payload 1,215 Lbs.
Maximum towing capacity 7,000 Lbs.
Drive type Four-Wheel
Turning radius 18.3 ''
A friend suggested having the 4Runner transmission and vehicle professionally serviced, which is a good idea anyway. I just put new tires on it. Get the brakes serviced professionally, and get a trailer brake system installed.

A truck would require probably:
1st loaded trip (~7k lbs) to ID and unloaded trip return
2nd loaded trip with remainder to ID and drop off trailer.
3rd trip back (not sure how) to retrieve vehicle.
* Disadvantage is that this all has to occur in a short exhausing timeframe right after closing and I have only 5 days, requiring buying truck and trailer, and loading and moving in a short window.
* Another disadvantage is I have two dogs, and I'm not sure how I'm going to factor that in to this plan. My dog watching plan ends at that time.

Current 4Runner plan:
3 loaded trips (~4k lbs) to ID and unloaded back.
4th trip loaded (with remainder) to ID and remain.
*Advantage is I can spread this out over the next month, and double it up with necessary trips to see the area, look at houses, etc.
* Advantage is I don't have to rush to get a truck and trailer at closing, pay taxes on them, etc. and save probably $15K-$20K I don't need to spend right now.
* Advantage is that I don't have to return to retrieve a vehicle.
* I currently have a good plan for the dogs until closing so that would alleviate some stress.
* Efficiency advantage: I probably need to make 1 or 2 trips to ID before I close anyway, to scout housing. It would be a good idea I think. So I could factor 1 trip loaded to increase efficiency.
* It's only 1 more trip, and the loads are smaller and presumably easier.

Trailer:
Of course some have suggested renting a trailer. I could buy one instead. That comes with pros and cons.
Owning Pro: Ownership, no rush, no extra trips to Uhaul, and sell and recoup all $ when I'm done. Also, since everything probably going into storage I'll need to repeat all of this locally again... so ownership makes more sense in that regard.
Renting Pro: I have to bring unloaded trailer back to WA one/three times. I could just rent a trailer for one-way trips each leg of the move. Also, I don't have to buy and can just rent when needed.

The other consideration is simply renting a place to deposit stuff for a few weeks which I might do... that's a different problem to solve.

Feedback?

Last Edited:
If not going to hire movers (BTW there are smaller outfits with Uhaul sized trucks that are less expensive than the big national moving companies), then I would go with plan #2 and a bought trailer, providing you have a place to put the trailer when done. We've moved with a 22' flatbed trailer to Bend, it took 3 trips, and we moved back with a small moving company, 1 trip. The small movers (2 guys and a truck, we did all the boxing up) were worth it!!!

Call Uhaul, ask if you can tow your 4Runner behind a 26' truck (ask Uhaul how big you will need) - you will need to give them the info on the vehicle so they can tell you if it's towable. A 26' Uhaul truck (load your heavy stuff first toward the front of the vehicle) costs about $1000 one way to Boise + gas and perhaps plus insurance. The tow dolly or whatever will run 2 or 3 hundred. Pack your own belongings in boxes that you can buy at Uhaul. For books use the smallest boxes or they will be too heavy. Hire movers (they are in the phone book) to load YOUR Uhaul in Tacoma - probably cost you a few hundred bucks, take 1/2 day. Do not let them drive your Uhaul. You drive it. Take it slow. In Boise, hire movers (in phone book) to unload the Uhaul either at your new home, or at a storage rental place. Done and over with in a few days for $2-$3K. If you have items you don't want movers to see for security purposes, you'll have to come up with a plan for those. Good luck.

Here's what it looks like - just guessed at data on your 4Runner:

1569101479449.png

A2B Moving, Auburn WA... $100/hr for two men. They also have a Uhaul sized truck, I don't know if that is included in that rate. Truck insurance, liability, driving, etc is on them. Something to think about.

There is also a UPACK advertised. Hmmm.

Please stop recommending moving companies and PODs. I'm not doing those for this move. I've moved a dozen times. I know what I am going to be doing within some limits and these are my questions. I've used movers. I've used POD. I know of those options.

Let's stick with the topic. There are two, maybe 3 choices. Let's get some feedback on THOSE options.

Buy a trailer. I do not know what size trailer you need for 14k lbs of stuff but it seems like it may be a dual axle for you. I bought a 5x10 trailer (second hand and cheap) for my move here from PA and it fit all my necessary stuff. I did not have any furniture to move. I am single, you probably have a family to move. Idaho is starting to sound appealing, I may go there.

Buy a trailer and keep it Useful to have. I will turn mine into a hunting trailer.

A lot of information in the OP... too much to read right now. Not that I don't care, I'm penciling-out a move too. I just have something I have to do like, NOW.

What first occurs to me is that a plane ticket to retrieve your 4Runner from ID to SEATAC will probably run under $200.

When I moved to OR from AZ I brought my old RamCharger and my wife drove her car. I put the RC on a trailer behind the moving truck but I had to replace the 35s with junkyard skinny tires (cost: $100) to fit it on the trailer.

I did a similar move from Hermiston to PDX and dragged my Charger along, then used Greyhound to retrieve my pickup a few days later (cost: $100).

I've done this and plan on doing it again in reverse, I'm leaving Portland and going back to eastern OR... I may or may not be able to help out, or maybe we can both get some helpful information/advice. I'll be checking in again later.

You're welcome to park your 4 Runner at my house while you drive your U Haul to Boise.

I would rent a storage unit in Boise and pre-stage my non-sensitive household goods during the scouting trips.

I use a Pod when I moved from Seattle to Portland.

I also hauled some stuff on my flatbed - moved some things down here in my car, then took the train and bus back to Everett, loaded stuff on the flatbed and into the Pod, called the Pod people (pun intended) to come get the Pod and a month later it showed up here. $1200

The good thing was I could load and unload the Pod at my leisure.

I use a Pod when I moved from Seattle to Portland.

I also hauled some stuff on my flatbed - moved some things down here in my car, then took the train and bus back to Everett, loaded stuff on the flatbed and into the Pod, called the Pod people (pun intended) to come get the Pod and a month later it showed up here. $1200

The good thing was I could load and unload the Pod at my leisure.

If I haven't been clear, let me be more clear.

I've used POD in the past. I know about POD. I'm aware of POD. I've looked into POD.

I'M NOT USING POD FOR THIS MOVE....

Sheesh...

Lotta words, skimmed.
Maybe load up a brute of a rental truck and tow the toy behind it.

I think this is the cheapest option, assuming the OP can drive a big rental truck while pulling the trailer. Same option that I mentioned in comment #6. If he doesn't want to pull a trailer behind the rental truck, he could fly back to get the 4Runner.

I think this is the cheapest option, assuming the OP can drive a big rental truck while pulling the trailer. Same option that I mentioned in comment #6. If he doesn't want to pull a trailer behind the rental truck, he could fly back to get the 4Runner.

A maxed out 26' Uhaul towing my 4Runner is a lot of eggs in one basket...

And given the weights would require a 2nd trip anyway. So I'm not that far ahead of the lesser expensive plan of just hauling 4 smaller loads in my 4Runner.

In 2012 we did a ~1200 mile move, used a moving company for somethings, for the things they couldn't or shouldn't move I used a heavy loaded 26 foot uhaul and towed my Pinzgauer on a uhaul flatbed. The Pinzgauer was also packed.

Our last move a month ago was 11 trips (30 miles each round trip) with a pickup listening to my i-POD towing a 14 foot trailer to move my shop. Most of the household was moved by movers with a 26 foot truck.

I highly recommend using an i-POD.

Side note, for the 2012 move we used hundreds of french fry boxes (a friend owns a number of jack in the box stores) was funny explaining them to the movers. Great sturdy boxes, easy to handle and stack.

My first thought in all sincerity is that you have bitten off a lot to chew in five days, if I read your original post correctly.

The rental truck thing, yes that would require two trips. The largest U-Haul truck will take 9,000 lbs. plus. You haul the Toyota on a tow dolly on back on one of those trips.

Making multiple trips in the Toyota with the load reduced, I think you estimated four, that would be truly exhausting. Exposure to mechanical troubles increases. Honestly, the Toyota has over 200K miles, I know you've owned it forever and it's been well-maintained, and I know Toyotas last forever. But still, over 200K is what I consider higher mileage. You show the tow rating as 7,000 lbs., that seems like quite a load for a 4.7 liter engine. You do this, a break-down is on you to resolve. You rent the U-Haul truck, the break-down is on them to fix. Either way, time is lost but at least you don't have to come up with a potentially expensive repair solution.

The rental equipment is expensive these days, true. But think of it this way. Part of it may be considered insurance as in the case of a break-down which they must pay for.

You have my sympathies for the short time line. Even doing it in two loads with rental equipment, it's going to be draining. There is the loading and off-loading. Stopping for fuel and meals, and you must find time to rest especially since you will be doing much driving.

The dogs. When I moved interstate 32+ years ago using a worn-out U-Haul rental truck, I had three cats. Two stayed in the cab of the truck with me, one rode in a cat carrier in my wife's car who was driving behind. The U-Haul mostly had tools, guns & ammo and such. Towing a 1940 Ford on a dolly. I hired a moving company to move the furniture and household goods, cost an arm and an aorta but I couldn't have done it myself.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads