1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!
  2. We're giving away over $850 in prizes this month -- enter now for your chance to win!
    Dismiss Notice

New mossy 500 forend replacement

Discussion in 'Rifle Discussion' started by bsawhill, Dec 27, 2013.

1. bsawhill

bsawhill Vancouver New Member

So I'm going to purchase a Mossberg 500 for HD. I have some mods that I want to do including a tactical forend. I've read on all of the manufacturers website that some of the new 500's don't have a removable forend. Is there a way to tell before I make a purchase that wont let me do what I want to do?
  2. oli700

oli700 Rogue Valley Well-Known Member

look for the action bars to be pinned directly to the plastic on the forend. That is what's known as a pinned forend. On the standard forend the action bars are pinned to the action tube and the plastic forend is slipped over the metal action tube. If you buy a pinned forend all is not lost as you can always change it out for an action tube/forend .....check Havlin Sales for the parts, best service and prices

Havlin Sales & Service - Mossberg Gun Parts
  3. SomeDude

SomeDude Portland, OR Reclaimer

You should be able to see a round nut on the end of the forend, which is attached to the tube. I don't recommend buying a pinned model. I had a 20 gauge where the action bars broke off from the forend just from racking the slide.