JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
This is a question thread. Use the up arrow to the right of good answers to upvote. Answers with more votes appear higher on the list.
Reactions
Is it possible to require either time or certain number of posts before posting in the classifieds section?
Seems the quality of new members is based mostly on coming here only to take advantage of the current panic.

Most don't read thr rules, many don't reply to questions etc.

Just a thought

I resonate with the frustration of those concerned about gougers and scammers - it is very frustrating.

But I also line-up pretty closely with those who've articulated that we can decide who we want to do business with and ignore the rest.

To that end: @Joe Link deserves huge kudos (thank you Joe :s0155:) for setting up a forum with lots of powerful tools we can use to be better informed when buying and selling. I'm not aware of other forums that have so many of these tools enabled and available to basic members.

All of these tools have already been mentioned or alluded to - but I thought I'd pull them together in one list because I USE ALL OF THEM - A LOT.

Feedback is a HUGE tool. I always ask people to leave feedback for me whether I'm the buyer or seller - and I do the same for them. As many have said, I can gauge how much risk I'm willing to take by reviewing quantity, quality and timeliness of a member's feedback.

Being able to see when someone joined the forum is an incredible tool. I'm not aware that that capability is common in other types of forums.

PM system is outstanding. Like @DLS said, I've got the ability to interact with someone and get a feel for who they are, if they're upfront and clear or vague and inconsistent. Then I can decide whether or not to set-up a meeting to sell/buy. (I can do all of that via PM - don't have to give out email or phone at all).

Classified search function lets me compare actual asking prices by multiple variables at a time so I can see who an advertiser's competitors are and if there's a better deal out there.

The alert system, watch function and bookmark function are also a great tools to track a specific ad, or keyword, classified ad section or post thread.

I feel very confident in navigating the classifieds and in the four years I've been a member I've only had one bad experience. So, I'd say things have gone pretty well for me.

Part of that is my due diligence. But a bigger part of that is the quality of folks who are participating members.

And again, thank you @Joe Link for all of your efforts.

Upvote 0
@DB is Here summed it up for the most part, if you see something you don't like about a seller or an ad, it's best to simply move on. Yes, there are gougers among us. While I don't like people taking advantage of others, the market ultimately sets the price. Personally, I'd rather be able to pay double for something I need than not be able to get it at all.

We are considering adding a small minimum post count to use the classifieds in the new classified system, but it's mostly to cut down on people creating a new account after being banned for rule violations and those looking to defraud others.

Upvote 0
@DB is Here summed it up for the most part, if you see something you don't like about a seller or an ad, it's best to simply move on. Yes, there are gougers among us. While I don't like people taking advantage of others, the market ultimately sets the price. Personally, I'd rather be able to pay double for something I need than not be able to get it at all.

We are considering adding a small minimum post count to use the classifieds in the new classified system, but it's mostly to cut down on people creating a new account after being banned for rule violations and those looking to defraud others.

The biggest problem with minimum post counts, that I have seen, is that you end up with a bunch of posts like "I went to pick up TP today.", "Is it foggy out today?", and "You poopin'?". About the only way around that that I've seen is for them to be rated by staff as to their usefulness or quality before they count as a proper post. And that's too much work (thought entertaining at times) for the staff.

elsie

Upvote 0
I hate see competition driven away, I would actually like to see more buyers and sellers come on board. The classifieds will become stale if we limit users.

Hows about NWFA adds a search selection option that allows members to search only through ads from members with a certain level of feedback? @Joe Link

Edit: There is a nice blank area in the search box just below "Caliber" and to the left of "Sort By" for a "Minimum Feedback" field box.

Last Edited:
Upvote 0
I hate see competition driven away, I would actually like to see more buyers and sellers come on board. The classifieds will become stale if we limit users.

Hows about NWFA adds a search selection option that allows members to search only through ads from members with a certain level of feedback? @Joe Link

Edit: There is a nice blank area in the search box just below "Caliber" and to the left of "Sort By" for a "Minimum Feedback" field box.

I'll see if that's something we can do :s0155:

Upvote 0
If there was EVER a site where I would expect the market to rule and the Mods to allow prices to seek their own level, this is it.

Also, who is to say what is gouging, really.

To many of us, sitting on >1K+ in any caliber we need, $0.50/rnd of range 9MM is rape. To the new new gun owner in 2020, that would be SWEET!

Upvote 0
The biggest problem with minimum post counts, that I have seen, is that you end up with a bunch of posts like "I went to pick up TP today.", "Is it foggy out today?", and "You poopin'?". About the only way around that that I've seen is for them to be rated by staff as to their usefulness or quality before they count as a proper post. And that's too much work (thought entertaining at times) for the staff.

@elsie has a good point.

My work-around has been to click on a member's avatar and when the small info window pops up, click again on the member's name and it takes me to a comprehensive page about the member. There are options to view a member's activity, including their posts. If I really want to make a judgement regarding a member's level of participation and my comfort in dealing with them I can do a quick review of their posts. I can quickly separate the "poopers" from the "non-poopers."

YMMV

Cheers

Upvote 0
I too don't want to see the classifieds limited. I've purchased a number of things from very new site members. If they were shut out I may not have gotten the deals I did.

If there is to be any control on those using the classifieds I'd like to see those who can't be bothered to leave feedback be limited in their access!

Actually, not really, they might offer or buy something beneficial to me, but it did feel good to vent!

Upvote 0
And this is why I brought it up.
Listen, I know you have to start somewhere and am all about new members coming on board and building the community. But what harm is a 25 post or 30 day wait to post in the classifieds? If the member truely wants to be here then it shouldn't be a problem. Those joining to just gouge or sell stuff can wait or post to prove they are not here just to take advantage of the classifieds.

Not foolproof but a start at least.
And yes we can just scroll by but that kinda defeats the purpose of a small community page.

Again this is just my take in my few years on the board.
This really isn't a small community page. Last time I looked there were about 50K members. Given that kind of membership it is amazing that we have so few scam artists. That's probably because those people don't last long here. We have a feedback system for deals made that quickly identifies and eliminates shady operators. The same applies to retail and on line entities too. I don't see what you are requesting as necessary or beneficial. Everyone who lists something for sale adds value here, newbie or not. The bad apples quickly get eliminated. If someone is asking too much for ammo or guns you are free to scroll on by, and you are encouraged to report scams and shady deals to the admins. Particularly offensive stuff is sometimes the subject of discussion threads, where the disinfecting qualities of sunshine usually prevail and set things right.

Upvote 0
This really isn't a small community page. Last time I looked there were about 50K members. Given that kind of membership it is amazing that we have so few scam artists. That's probably because those people don't last long here. We have a feedback system for deals made that quickly identifies and eliminates shady operators. The same applies to retail and on line entities too. I don't see what you are requesting as necessary or beneficial. Everyone who lists something for sale adds value here, newbie or not. The bad apples quickly get eliminated. If someone is asking too much for ammo or guns you are free to scroll on by, and you are encouraged to report scams and shady deals to the admins. Particularly offensive stuff is sometimes the subject of discussion threads, where the disinfecting qualities of sunshine usually prevail and set things right.

I guess I shouldn't have mentioned gouging as that isn't the point of post rather one example. Yet everyone seems to focus on just that.
Yes I know....scroll.
I do.
Yes I know they weed themselves out over
Time....

Small as in most classified sales are generally in the pnw.

As far as beneficial, that really is a matter of opinion as well as active mods and staff (which we have here). Been doing this a few years and seen it work and fail.

Upvote 0
Some apparently did not read the notice under the classifieds:

Click to enlarge:

View attachment 784737

If you don't want to buy from newbies, DON'T. No problem.
Noone is "gouging". That is not possible - it's a free market - you don't have to buy ANYTHING. Think you can buy it cheaper elsewhere? GO FOR IT!

;)
Beautifully said! It takes two for gouging or scamming to take place.

Upvote 0
Gotta start somewhere.
New members can start by buying.

We have tons of supporting vendors here that will leave feedback, in addition to members. Or, they can show skin in the game by buying a membership.

I don't mind the site being open to all. I also don't mind when members refuse to do business with the "new guy" right away.

Hell, I'm playing the new Assassin's Creed game and the first thing the new merchant in town did...is give me some loot to build rapport.

It's not some secret sauce to relationships - it's human community 101: you're the new guy so get some skin in the game to build trust.

Upvote 0
I've had that happen here a few times. It's low class to be sure, but there are low class people un this world.

I just grin and move on, no sense getting all wrapped up about it. Negative feedback on people like that just invites undeserved retaliation.

Upvote 0
TBH, when someone flakes, I'm thankful. If their unfaithful in keeping their word do you think they'd stand behind what they sold you? I just move on and know not to work with them again.

Upvote 0
What really frosts me is those that can't be bothered to leave feedback. I've done about three times more transactions here than I've received feedback. They have all gone well. I was always on time and kept up my end of the deal selling or buying. It's really bad when you look as some of those here that have high feedback on them, and they have left little to no feedback for others.

Rant off! :rolleyes:

Last Edited:
Upvote 0

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR